Old 04-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
fort lauderdale , Florida
Vista View and front window repairs

I have searched the forum and come up with an endless amount of info on window repairs. My question is a 2 parter for my 72 Tradewind remodel. (Full monty)

1. My vista view interior panels are plexiglass(lexan?) and from the attached pics you can see they need to be removed , cleaned, etc... My question; After removal and repair/cleaning, is the general consensus to leave the plex out and just run with the exterior pane of glass or put it back and blast some nitrogen in the void?

2. This is basically the same question referring to the front "wing windows" From the attached pics you can see the curb side needs more work than the road side. Once again, is the general consensus to break out that interior pane and go with the single exterior pane?

p.s. You can see in the curbside wing window pic some olympic rivets.After removing the entire interior skin, its apparent the window and the curbside "quarter panel" around to the door had been repaired in the past?

thanks again for all input

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	v-viewcs.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	156168   Click image for larger version

Name:	v-viewrs.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	156169  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fornt-rs.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	156170   Click image for larger version

Name:	front-cs.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	156171  

ehodg66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I don't think the wing windows have an interior plastic pane. Only some of the vista view window have plastic inside panes and yours maybe the year that has them. If you break the inside pane you are going to have problems because it is a sandwitch that holds it in the aluminum extrusion. Mine are a one piece extrusion and the only way to get an intact window out is to remove the frame and pull the frame apart. On the wing windows, you pull out the vertical straight part and slide the window out. There are differences from year to year. There are those who have taken the two panes apart and used butyl tape to make a new seal. Some have also been able to find something that approximates the original gasket that cradles the two panes of glass. You might be able to replace the gasket with Trempro-635. My gaskets are going but the windows are not real bad yet. I cut the lip off from the outside and replaced it with caulk. It seems to work so far and it keeps more water out but it does not help with the water that is trapped between the panes. I have had thoughts of a dry nitrogen purge with needles stuck through the gasket between the panes. You need one to purge and another to let the gas back out. I have worried about pressure cracking the glass.

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Sometimes the PO solves the problem for you one way or another. On our '72, the inside Plexiglas pane of all 3 vista views were already removed. Two of the frames had separate channels in them, one for the outer glass and one for the inner Plexiglas pane. I did not need to take the frames apart to remove the remaining pieces of Plexiglas, but I did need to remove two of the vista views from the trailer because they had been replaced at one point and installed with steel pop rivets. I used vulkum to seal the outer pane of glass to the frames on all 3 vista views, and left the inner pane out. Fairly easy to do on my workbench. Harder on the vista view I left in place.

On the wing windows, we had one broken outer pane, and one was still a double pane. Both panes were glass. I removed both wing windows, opened up both frames, and moved the inner pane on the broken window to the outer position in the frame, and simply removed the inner pane on the other wing window. Put the frames back together, and again used vulkum to seal them.

If you want to keep the double pane, perhaps some desiccant instead of nitrogen would be easier to work with. That's how airstream did them originally (as far as I know), and how others on the forums have dealt with the moisture in between the panes. Here's a link to Zep rebuilding a double pane window:

Not sure where he gets the desiccant crystals though. I'm sure he'll tell you if you ask him.

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
fort lauderdale , Florida
Thanks Perry and Chris. Sorry I wasn't clear but I was only referring to the vistas having an interior piece of plex. I wasnt planning on taking out the exterior vista pane, just removing the plex and cleaning. Just wasn't sure if reinstalling the plex was really necessary. As far as my wings, I've read a few people have broken out the interior glass pane and filled in the gap w/ a gasket. I'm leaning toward leaving the vista plex out but still undecided on the wings.
Thanks again for your input
ehodg66 is offline   Reply With Quote