Old 04-06-2003, 09:47 PM   #1
BevnCraig

1967 28' Ambassador
Golden , Colorado
Question vintage windows falling out--why?

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help us with this one? Last summer we bought our '67 Ambassador A/S. We got a good start on cleaning it up and did get to use it for 3 weeks before putting it in storage. But we had some problems with the windows.
Our Window problem #1: The small side window next to the door fell out and shattered!
Our Window problem #2: Our front window was hit by a rock and shattered.
Our Window problem #3: It looked like some of the other windows may fall out so we just closed them and locked them and duct taped them for the winter.
OUR QUESTIONS: Do you know why they may be falling out? If so, can we prevent it from happening on the others? AND YOU GUESSED THE NEXT QUESTION, do they make '67 replacement front windows? If yes, where can we get one? If no, what are our options?
Thanks for any help you can give us!
BevnCraig in Michigan

Old 04-07-2003, 01:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I believe the 67's are the frameless, curved Corning glass. Those are no longer available (new) and are typically replaced with Lexan. If you got real lucky, you may find some old ones in an Airstream junkyard...but it's not likely.

Why they are dropping out...I have no idea?

Good luck~

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 01:21 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

They are fairly rare glass winders made by Corning Glass. They aren't made any more and therefore are quite 'spensive
I think '66 was the first year for them and in late '67 or '68 they started puttin a stainless steel molding around the glass edge. I'm sure somone will correct me on this if I'm off a year or so.
Here are a couple for sale at Iowa Boys:

http://www.iowaboys.com/used_airstream_parts.htm

As I said . . . expensive. I think Sue at Iowa Boys will have a few more for sale soon, she mentioned to me she would soon. Or you can look here in the parts forum, or on eBay, or at:

http://airstream.org/classifieds/cla...html?cat=Parts

. . . but they aren't too common.

Another option is to replace them with Plexi-glass. There are many different qualities and the best seems to be Acrylite AR. It is a high quality, yellowing resistant plexi-glass with an abrasion reisistant (AR) coating. It is supposed to be 40 times more resistant to abrasion than regular plexi so you can clean it with regular Windex and stuff with out having those little scractchies
These People sell the stuff:
http://www.tapplastics.com/plastics/...ylic.html#FFAR

Andy at Inland RV sells the little clippies that hold the bottom in, as well as the window crank mechanism parts.
http://www.inlandrv.com/

-Andrew
(No relation to the aforementioned Andy)
Old 04-07-2003, 10:15 AM   #4
pap

Need more info on this dilemma.
Shari are all the windows frameless and "curved" and Corning and discontinued? or were you speaking of the front (nose) window/s only??
And when you say "curved" do you mean radius cornered or concave/convex etc.?

I have never read of a recurring window "falling out" problem.
If this is indeed a characteristic of a particular model then it will be good to have such info documented.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:44 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

in the late 60s the corning windows on the side were curved to follow the body contour. (slightly convex when looking from the outside) they have a metal extrusion that holds them in along the top but no side frames (although some models had a stainless edgeband, it really wasnt a frame) The opener mechanism screws onto inside of the top extrusion and lifts the window out like a fragile glass awning that seems to have no visible means of support from the outside. They are very thin pieces of glass.

The front and back windows had this same opening mechanism but they werent curved becaus the body is flat in the front and back
-Andrew
Old 04-07-2003, 11:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
66-67-68 Windows

The glass in the 66 models was held in place with silicone sealer. The 67 and 68 glass was held in place with "double sided tape."

In 68, Airstream installed a metal frame around the glass for two reasons. The first was for addition strength and secondly, so you could see when the window was open.

Many people, especially at rallys walked into the open window, simply because they were hard to see that they were open.
We have a plastic replacement that can be scrubbed with steel wool, and not be scratched. Lexan while stronger, scratches. Lexan also will not adapt to the curvature of the shell. They material that we use does adapt.

We also have the stainless steel moldings for the edges. Those moldings can also be used on the 66 and 67 models. It reduces the breakage problem as well as adding protection to the glass or plastic.

Those moldings can be seen on our web site http://www.inlandrv.com
We have sold hundreds of those windows and moldings. Jazzes up the 66 and 67's as well.

Plexiglass cannot be used as a replacement as it cracks and crazes in 30 to 60 days when exposed to the sun. But it is cheap.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Old 04-07-2003, 11:09 AM   #7
pap

Lightbulb A modest Proposal for Shari et al.

Wow Andrew and Inland Andy thanks for info. The windows sound cool, mabey a little too cool for practicality. Thank goodness mine are otherwise.

Again I think for the sake of the unwitting that the exact years of this "feature" need to be documented.

In fact I would like to see Shari or some of the other "wheels" around here consider a new subsection of this forum called "Airstream/Argosy Characteristics" where oddities, problem areas, model change-over deviations, pecuiarities, wives-tales, rules-of-thumb, and axioms/maxims etc. could be cataloged.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
BevnCraig,
The only way those windows can fall out is if the hinge at the top that supports the window came loose, meaning the screws backed out and/or the seal failed, causing the glass to slip out of the channel. The window slides into the channel on the hinge and is secured from the inside with screws that clamp the hinge to the glass. There is also adhesive sealant between the glass and hinge.
Randy
Old 04-07-2003, 11:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I see we were all typing at the same time.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:02 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

I love Pap's idea about a section on Airstream characteristics/
oddities. There seem to have been so many variations.

Also for anyone who dosent know the 66-68 windows really are cool. Some visitors have thought they were the coolest thing about the trailer. The little closing mechanism is quite something.
Nowl I have one more AS worry tho- the windows falling out!!!

Heidi
'67 Caravel
Cool Windows (so far)
Old 04-12-2003, 12:05 PM   #11
BevnCraig

1967 28' Ambassador
Golden , Colorado
Smile window info & THANKS!

Hi Everybody,
Thank you SO much for all your responses! Now we have a lot to investigate and figure what happened to prevent that in the future.
Craig did hit his head on one last summer and it practically knocked him to the ground. They ARE really hard to see.
In one of the storage areas we found some funky yellow naugahyde covers with fringe that slip over the window edge when it is opened and has a strap that fastens underneath the window pane to hold it on. We could sure see them then! And they kept our AS a lot cooler too. Pretty neat. Has anyone ever heard of these? Do they still make them?
Thanks again.
Bev
Old 04-12-2003, 02:37 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

When I bought my 68, on the way home a window fell out somewhere on the road I believe because there was only 1 clip on the bottom. Atleast there was only 1 clip on it when I got home. Until I get another clip I have to pull out the plexiglas until I get to my location. I'm going to go to Inland RV the week after next and get my clip and maybe I'll check out the glass replacement.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:09 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

There are a bunch of original documents relating to the late 60s windows here:

http://www.airstreamclassics.com/misc.html

check the links relating to Phillips windows

-Andrew
Old 04-16-2003, 07:23 AM   #14
BevnCraig

1967 28' Ambassador
Golden , Colorado
Smile original window documents

Thanks Andrew. That is a valuable site to know about.
Bev