Old 03-01-2006, 08:26 PM   #15
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Unhappy Bummer!

So sorry you had to experience this, how frustrating for you and his parents. Its really sad too that your 6 year old nephew is seeking attention in this way. Kids at that age often have no idea of consequences. I wonder if he will get a chance to be part of the repairing process, to see what the trailer means to you and how it hurt you that it was damaged? I hope that your relationship with your nephew will be repaired as well as the trailer. Best wishes.

Old 03-01-2006, 09:11 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
I would be floored by the window breakage,,,,,,,,,, Please be sure he helps inthe replacement,he is a child , but needs to understand what it is to you,let him spend some time with you while you repair it, good luck with the job , I see my nephew Jacob doing this, good luck and I hope the child has learned something,

Old 03-01-2006, 11:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Vandalism Lesson

Sorry to hear about the problem with your trailer. The glass thickness should be no problem for a local glass shop to figure out, and they should be able to get correct measurements from your coach as to height and width of windows. If I were you I would order the new ones in heat tempered glass as a safety item for the future. It will also make them more resistant to breakage. The situation with your nephew is a tough one. Best handled with his parents help to make him aware that bad choices come with some consequences. I like the idea that he should help in the repair process even if that help is limited to cleaning up the broken glass [with adult supervision] or say cleaning the interior of the trailer while the repairs are underway. Then talking to him to make him understand why he should respect others property. This can have a very lasting effect on him for the good if done correctly. Let us know how you make out. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:14 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Sorry to hear about your 'Stream. What a great neighbor you must have in Chad. I hope you can see your way to forgive your nephew and help him get the attention he may be craving. I saw a post here mentioning taking him fishing. I agree. There's nothing quite like taking a child this young fishing and it helps that he catches some fish. It could be a trip the two of you will never forget. Years from now and possibly over that brewsky previously mentioned, the two of you may be able to laugh about it. Good luck with your repairs.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:53 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Thanks

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and concerns. I like the idea of having the perp help, even if it is just cleaning up and fetching things.

The screens are not like screens in a 1960's trailer. I had a 1963 Overlander and those have standard household screening installed in frames with a plastic bead. These 1950's trailers have the screen built-in as part of the window frame. It is very stiff and is bent around part of the window frame on all sides. A nylon screen would not be stiff enough to keep a bend.

I have a co-worker who's husband family owns a local glass company. I am going to give him a call today if I have time.

I haven't looked at R.J. Dial's site yet, but I will. Thanks for that lead.

The trailer is now under a 40 X 60 foot blue tarp (the only large tarp I could find at my Home Depot). It will probably be a slow process since I have very little spare time this time of year with my job. (I work some nights and weekends) So it will probably have to wait until the end of April when I can take time off from work. I will try to assemble all the glass and other materials I will need before then.

It is ironic that in the 9 years I have owned it, it has survived a tornado that demolished the house next door and tore down my trees and spread building materials all over my property; a hail storm that ruined my car, truck, and roof on my house; and Hurricane Katrina, not to mention the 40 odd years before I bought it.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:23 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2toomany
Hi
I live in Forest not far from you , matter of fact I work in Jackson and Drive through Brandon every day. If you would like, I could help with your screens and glass, Just replaced my screen this last weekend not much to it most of the supplies you can get from lowes on hwy 25. Send a message if you need help, but I have drill this weekend with 172 MDG

Chad
Thanks for the kind offer. As I said in an earlier post, I will have to wait until the end of April to actually work on it. Let's see how things go.

PS: I sent you a private message.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:47 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Update and a question

I finally got some time to work on the 1953 Cruiser. I have removed all of the window frames and cleaned out the broken glass from them. I took one of the frames apart and will pick up a piece of "test glass" today at lunch. I am going to completely rebuild one window before I order a whole bunch of glass.

My only question is - what type of sealant should I use to glue the window in with?

The original glass was sealed to the aluminium with something. Would aluminum gutter seal be appropiate? In R.J. Dial's site on rebuilding these windows, he doesn't say what he used.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:33 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
How about a update !!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 01:42 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by scf31
How about a update !!!!
Not much to report yet. I picked up the glass but haven't installed it yet. I have gotten 2 schools of thought on using sealant in addition to the window gasket. One is to use Vulkem, the other is not to seal them at all. I have deceided to be safe rather than sorry and seal them with sealer.

I have several tubes of Vulkem on order. Should show up this week. I had planned to take the windows apart and clean up the frames over the holiday weekend but I never got around to it.

While I wasn't working on my Airstream, I did take the family to see the movie RV, though. It was very funny. Robin Williams (who I don't like his politics) was very good. In addition to him tearing up a motorhome, it also had several good moral plots. It also had a 1950's Flxible bus turned motorhome that was very cool. http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/flipboo...id=2478&page=8 (the girl in this picture is also very cool )

There are also several Airstreams seen in the movie. One looks like an Airsteam shell mounted of a van body. Very strange. There were also a regular classic trailer, and a classic motorhome.

I will update the forum again when I have made some progress.

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:40 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
RV movie

Here is another view of the Flxible motorhome

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/flipboo...&page=15#still

There is also a picture of one of these in the latest Airstream Life magazine.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:11 PM   #25
51 cruiser

1951 25' Cruiser
Livingston , Montana
Howdy
Sorry to revive this thread.....Searched for days

Did or do you have to remove a rivit, in order to bend the eyebrow up, to get the upper window out of it's channel? Or am I missing something easy? Lower window came out with great ease.

Thank you,
51cruiser
Old 09-19-2006, 04:09 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51cruiser
Howdy
Sorry to revive this thread.....Searched for days

Did or do you have to remove a rivit, in order to bend the eyebrow up, to get the upper window out of it's channel? Or am I missing something easy? Lower window came out with great ease.

Thank you,
51cruiser
On one end of every eyebrow there is a screw instead of a rivit. I just took out the screw, slightly pushed up on the eyebrow, and slid the window frame out.

It has taken me an incredibly long time to fix this. The Cruiser is still under a giant blue tarp. I now have all of the window frames taken apart. I have bought new glass for all windows. I have all the gaskets, sealer, new screws, etc. to assemble them all. I have re-assembled only one (as a test window). Now I just have to find time.

The screens will have to wait even longer.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:54 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Update

I now have all windows re-built and they are in the back of my car.

I will install them tonight and probably finish up on Saturday. I'll take some pictures then and post them here.

They really came out pretty nice. There are still "scars" where the frames were hit with the swingblade blade, so it can never win a concours trophy, but they are still pretty good looking. I was able to straighten out all of the frames. The new gaskets look really nice too.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:51 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
It has taken me an incredibly long time to fix this.
Hopefully your nephew is older & wiser now too!

Glad to hear things are looking up again ~

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags