Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2016, 09:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Question UV protection windows?

Does anyone know for certain if the windows on modern Airstreams have UV protection built in? Obviously they are tinted but this doesn't always guarantee good UV protection.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
As an update, Airstream got back to me after contacting the window supplier and all they could say was that the windows are tinted 18-24% light transmittance. They could not state a UV protection number. I cannot believe a glass/window manufacturer would be clueless on something like that.

I guess I'll just have to buy a UV meter.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:22 AM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
It was my understanding that glass as a material blocks UV.

Quote from a Google search - There are 3 types of ultraviolet radiation, but only two reach the earth's surface. These are UVA and UVB. UVC is filtered out by the ozone layer. UVA mostly causes skin ageing and research has now shown that it is also likely to cause skin cancer. UVB causes redness and sunburn and is a major risk factor for all types of skin cancer. Most glass used for windows blocks UVB but not UVA. This means that although glass might reduce the risk of sunburn, it does not prevent long term damage from UVA.

Guess it does not block as much as I thought. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
It was my understanding that glass as a material blocks UV.

Quote from a Google search - There are 3 types of ultraviolet radiation, but only two reach the earth's surface. These are UVA and UVB. UVC is filtered out by the ozone layer. UVA mostly causes skin ageing and research has now shown that it is also likely to cause skin cancer. UVB causes redness and sunburn and is a major risk factor for all types of skin cancer. Most glass used for windows blocks UVB but not UVA. This means that although glass might reduce the risk of sunburn, it does not prevent long term damage from UVA.

Guess it does not block as much as I thought. Pat
Correct. The window specifically has to have particles in the glass to reflect UVA. I got expensive 3M Crystalline window tint put on all my car windows for that purpose.

I'll post my Airstream window UV transmittance numbers after I test them with a meter. Not looking forward to putting on more tint if it blocks little!