Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Upgrade Windows vs Hehr Windows???

Are the upgrade windows that you get in the recent Safaris (SE package I think) clearly better than the standard Hehr windows?

If so what exactly makes them better? Utility, quality???

Thanks...Tom R
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Airflow. The Classic/International windows can open much wider than the Hehr windows.

I don't believe they have any better insulating properties.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Tom. I'm sitting in southern Wisconsin tonight and it sure is muggy. I've always appreciated pulling into a campsite and actually having a light breeze in fairly calm conditions. Our '74 Argosy had the full opening windows and I could never go back. Multiple square feet for air exchange is better than little slots the size of a toaster. Just one opinion... Neither offer any advantage in cold conditions.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Thanks Bob...Is it essentially just the basic Safari...and now likely the Sport and basic Flying Cloud that have the Hehr windows. I assume all Classics and what about International...do they all have the "better" windows?

I guess the SE is the key in the Safari/Flying Cloud?

I need to get a new sales brochure...don't seem to find option info on the AS web site? Am I missing something?

BTW...did you originally have a sleeps six (SS) 25' or before your FB 25'? Not sure where I got that idea? The FB modles seem to be by far the nost in demand? I also like the 28' with the L shaped lounge and the dinnette...north south queen.

Thanks...Tom
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I think Flying Clouds now all have full-opening windows. From spring 2005 until FCs were introduced, a Safari had to be an SE to have these windows. Otherwise you are correct - Classics and Internationals do too.

Nope, we went straight from our Argosy to the 25' FB SE. Six-sleepers are six-sleepers in theory if two friendly small kids sleep on the dinette and 2 sleep on the gaucho. And then you have to have two adults of moderate height who've tested out that the corner bed works for them. In my experience kids like tents if they want to camp at all, which obviates the need for six sleepers. I've seen a DVD-using 16 year old "sleep" in a truck and its batteries were dead in the morning.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 08-19-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
The FB modles seem to be by far the nost in demand? I also like the 28' with the L shaped lounge and the dinnette...north south queen.
cosmotini's 27' Int'l FB amazed me when I first saw it 2 years ago. It is a honey! Fore-and-aft queen, dinette, nice couch. Sleeps the same six (small kids that is) and the owners' suite has privacy and luxury -- why you're paying top dollar!

And in an oddity of market definition it is an inch longer than the 28' Int'l. Go figger...

5 meter Langford Nahanni