Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Trapped blind in Argosy.

Hi fellow Airstreamers;

After very expensive and lengthy remodel of my 1973 26' Argosy, there is one issue I can no longer tolerate. With my wraparound sofa in the front and removable table directly across from entry door I feel blind. Reason? No window in the door to look outside. This bothers me, because we often have folks knocking on the door after admiring our trailer from outside and wanting to peek inside. Kitchen window is virtually useless to see who is at the door, and I do not relish the idea of my wife opening the door when she is alone. This is very important especially when we are boondocking. Some of you may not like what I am about to do, but I decided to put a vista window in the door. I have ordered a used unit from RVReviwe. Yes, I know it is too long. Having a fully equipped welding shop we will cut it down and re-weld to 24" in length. Pending where the vertical curvature will make a better fit we will install it just below or above top inner cross member in the door. Problem solved. What do you all think? Thanks "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Stupid question - is the door in an Argosy different from a door from a same-era Airstream? You could get a door with a window and paint it to match the trailer.

Not that you don't have the resources to do what you propose, but another door might be easier...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I like the idea and I'm envious you are setup to weld aluminum. You've got to post pixs of course.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Stupid question - is the door in an Argosy different from a door from a same-era Airstream? You could get a door with a window and paint it to match the trailer.

Not that you don't have the resources to do what you propose, but another door might be easier...

Tom
Hi Tom; Yes. they would fit but I hate the idea of spending a $800.00 plus shipping for something I can take enjoy doing. Besides, my door fits perfectly now after lengthy tweaking and is already match painted. This way I have to paint only the frame. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Old 01-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
The one thing missing in my excella II. A window in the door. I love the daylight. Sal.
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I like the idea of a window in the door, but 24" wide seems too big to me. That would leave you only about 2" of skin on each side. I like the porthole look that some others have added to their doors.

Keep us updated with pictures!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
I like the idea and I'm envious you are setup to weld aluminum. You've got to post pixs of course.
It is a shame you are across the country, otherwise you could benefit from it being close. The whole idea materialized itself about twenty two years ago. Being in a boat business we were replacing aluminum components costing $1200.00 because of small fracture in casting. After talking on a couple occasions to Miller representative, he made me sign on couple of dotted lines for $17.000.00 for fully equipped set up. For the whole year I was very sick being downed by buyers remorse. On the closing of the third year the buyers remorse left me, because I have become a full owner of the equipment. Doing many different compositions of aluminum, we quickly learned what works best with what. But till this day I do not have a MIG set up and all work is done with TIG. Liquid cooled Tig torch allows me to have more control while welding and that is what I like about TIG. My new Stainless Steel frame was done with Tig. Thanks "Boatdoc"
Old 01-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen View Post
The one thing missing in my excella II. A window in the door. I love the daylight. Sal.
Hi Sal; I'm glad that I am not alone. "Boatdoc"
Old 01-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
Boatdoc

I guess we just have to wait for warmer weather and use the screen door. Sal.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I like the idea of a window in the door, but 24" wide seems too big to me. That would leave you only about 2" of skin on each side. I like the porthole look that some others have added to their doors.

Keep us updated with pictures!
Hi Richard;
The 24" has not been defined yet as final width. Pending what is going to look good after we cut the frame to 24" it may have to be cut again. I much rather cut three times than to make it look too small. The frame is 12" high overall, glass I believe is 8" tall. Because of overall height which I do not intend to change, the width may have to be played with in order to obtain good appearance. You have brought up very good point. Thanks Richard. "Boatdoc"
Old 01-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen View Post
I guess we just have to wait for warmer weather and use the screen door. Sal.
What warm weather are you talking about? We camp even after State camp sites close. My wife wants to spend Christmas this year camping. She loves cold weather, claims that it is rejuvenating. Is he fibbing me? "Boatdoc"
Old 01-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
I love all the seasons, but I like the warm ones more. Warm enough to leave the door open. Sal.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
...Some of you may not like what I am about to do, but I decided to put a vista window in the door...
adding a 'door-window' to 70s streams is very common.

the problem however with a window is PRIVACY when desired.

the advantage to using the proper window is that they came WITH pull down shades,

or shades can be added after the fact and inside the inner door skin.

here's a pic of a 70s unit with a door-window installed years after the build.

http://cdn.airforums.com/forums/atta...6&d=1208461828

there were no issues with tweaking the door fit, the window was very simple to install,

and looked original.

btw the open window just a few feet aft is IN the shower stall,

that window was also done years after manufacture.

using an old vista view simply means tweaking it so as not to look ouTTa place...

just a few years ago the winick stream came with a rOund doOr windOw.

but dont' forget the shade/privacy issue.

another approach which might serve many needs is a wireless 12v low light monitor with lcd screen inside.

this could be done with 2 cameras (1 per side) and really improve the sense of awareness/security.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hey, Harvey the Rabbit is leaning up against that moho, 2Air!

Saaay, wait a minute: I recognize that hand!!

I'd love to have a window in our '74 Sov's door too, but mebbe that cam/monitor is worth trying...
Old 01-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Boatdoc:

See post #280 on this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...-18448-20.html

You can see how I used a GALLEY window, exactly like the one across from the door in your trailer, to make a window in my door.

I bought the parted-out piece from member balgran.

A salvaged window of this size from an Airstream or Argosy will make a better door window, aesthetically and practically.

The fit in that location is almost exact too.
Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Hey, Harvey the Rabbit is leaning up against that moho, 2Air!

Saaay, wait a minute: I recognize that hand!!

I'd love to have a window in our '74 Sov's door too, but mebbe that cam/monitor is worth trying...
Hi Aage;
The cameras can can provide for my need only in part. Monitoring the screen is not my idea of seeing what is going on outside. There is just something about the window which camera cannot do for me. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Old 01-08-2011, 04:32 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokelessJoe View Post
Boatdoc:

See post #280 on this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...-18448-20.html

You can see how I used a GALLEY window, exactly like the one across from the door in your trailer, to make a window in my door.

I bought the parted-out piece from member balgran.

A salvaged window of this size from an Airstream or Argosy will make a better door window, aesthetically and practically.

The fit in that location is almost exact too.
Sergei
Hi Sergei;
You have certainly done a outstanding job. However I have questions. What did that window come out of? What are overall dimensions? Did you have enough space between it and the screen door? Did you have enough room for window locks? I also presume you had to cut through top horizontal cross member rib. Your info would be much appreciated.
Your job looks fantastic and it is matching the rest of the trailer. Thanks "Boatdoc"
Old 01-08-2011, 05:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
adding a 'door-window' to 70s streams is very common.

the problem however with a window is PRIVACY when desired.

the advantage to using the proper window is that they came WITH pull down shades,

or shades can be added after the fact and inside the inner door skin.

here's a pic of a 70s unit with a door-window installed years after the build.

http://cdn.airforums.com/forums/atta...6&d=1208461828

there were no issues with tweaking the door fit, the window was very simple to install,

and looked original.

btw the open window just a few feet aft is IN the shower stall,

that window was also done years after manufacture.

using an old vista view simply means tweaking it so as not to look ouTTa place...

just a few years ago the winick stream came with a rOund doOr windOw.

but dont' forget the shade/privacy issue.

another approach which might serve many needs is a wireless 12v low light monitor with lcd screen inside.

this could be done with 2 cameras (1 per side) and really improve the sense of awareness/security.

cheers
2air'
Hi 2air';
I kind a like what Sergei did on his unit utilizing a galley window for the appearance. Round porthole window would look too much out of place for me. Sergei's job looks fantastic although I have some reservations about clearances to screen door. Privacy shade can be figured out by eliminating the screen on the inside of the window using only the trim ring. I am sure I can figure out how to fit a shade within the window frame when I have the window in the front of me because I love challenge. I will place a hold on removing the vista window because it would have to be cut down which is not an issue but fitting a new tempered glass is expensive. When I get a reply from Sergei I may change my mind about vista window. As you can see it is good to share ideas. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Old 01-08-2011, 07:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Ive thought about instlling a window in our 71 Sovereign. It looks like the window in a 70s era Tradewind, (just fore of the door) is narrower than the door, and could be retrofit quite easily. And it would use OEM parts.
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #20
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
... Round porthole window would look too much out of place for me...
i agree the round window looks oDd compared to the rest...

which is why mine got 1 with the same radius as the others.

would not howevery, want an OPENING window in the door.

4 a lotta reasons, but to each his own.

in the pic i linked u can JUST see the shade/tAb at the top.

the real value of the window is a bit extra light and the 'openness' it provides on that wall.

all the new streams come with a door window, which is frosted.

this means a bit of light but no real clear views in OR out.

i don't think a door window is a good security feature.

the bad guys can simply stand BACK or 2 the side or shine lights at ya.

and everyone will be able to SEE you or your wife's HEAD at the door.

my current unit has aluminum bubble foil in the window 99% of the time...

for privacy.
________

many of the new class As come with the 'security cam' feature and this really does work well.

especially when the viewing/monitor can be moved around (bedroom/bath/lounge) inside.

the idea of using a salvaged window is good, but think x2 about using one that opens.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote