Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2004, 09:53 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Tracking down a leak.....window??

Well, I did it! Last weekend I towed home..(actually to my brother's driveway)....a 1961 Trade Wind. Overall it seems to be in pretty good shape. I didn't pay much at all for it so I'm happy. But then again,...I haven't begun even cleaning it out yet. THAT...is not going to be pleasant... Any tips on dead mouse and dropping removal would be appreciated.

For the most part, it's original with some minor parts missing,....the toilet for one! But I've seen that before.

My question is: just inside the entry door, the floor is wet. About a 10 inch or so circle. Water is visible on one of the interior panel seams below and to the right of the jalousie window. Just a small trail of water...but...it apparently makes its way to the floor. Am I to suspect the window is the problem? Would the fix be sealing the exterior seams?

I'm starting with making sure the thing is not leaking..I'm heading to the axle and tires after this....

This is going to be fun. Thanks for your help in advance.

GO RED SOX!!
Captmorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 10:16 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Tracking down a leak.....window??

Greetings Captmorg!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreaming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captmorg
Well, I did it! Last weekend I towed home..(actually to my brother's driveway)....a 1961 Trade Wind. Overall it seems to be in pretty good shape. I didn't pay much at all for it so I'm happy. But then again,...I haven't begun even cleaning it out yet. THAT...is not going to be pleasant... Any tips on dead mouse and dropping removal would be appreciated.

For the most part, it's original with some minor parts missing,....the toilet for one! But I've seen that before.

My question is: just inside the entry door, the floor is wet. About a 10 inch or so circle. Water is visible on one of the interior panel seams below and to the right of the jalousie window. Just a small trail of water...but...it apparently makes its way to the floor. Am I to suspect the window is the problem? Would the fix be sealing the exterior seams?

I'm starting with making sure the thing is not leaking..I'm heading to the axle and tires after this....

This is going to be fun. Thanks for your help in advance.

GO RED SOX!!
In regard to cleaning up after rodents, try doing a search of the Forums for Hantivirus - - there have been several discussions on methods to clean up after rodents, and one of the posts had some good links to sites operated by national health agencies.

The water leak near the entry door is one of the more common issues with Vintage Airstreams. There are actually several sources that may be contributing to the moisture (I have experienced each of these in my '64 Overlander):

• The main entry door can have three issues:
  • The door may have been sprung by being blown open while in-transit or may have been caught by a strong wind while camped - - either one can result in an ill-fitting door with gaps at the top and or bottom.
  • The door gasket also is a culprit and will likely need replacing.
  • The door-within-a-door also has a gasket that if it has failed can result in a leak as well - - replacements are also available for this gasket as well.
  • The jalousie window can be a leak source as well - - poorly sized replacement glass can be an issue as can be operators that are weak and not keeping the window completely closed - - Inland-RV offers some seling gaskets that can be applied to the windows to aid in sealing.
  • The actual window opening may need some additional sealant as may the area above the door opening.

You are on the right track as well to be considering resealing the exterior seams and any openings that penatrate the exterior skin. Leak sources can be somewhat elusive as the water can travel quite some distance along interior ribs and seams.

Good luck with your Tradewind!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 12:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Greetings,

Too bad about the missing toilet--that's very irritating! But, unless you track down a vintage one, a modern one will function in its place. But welcome to the world of '61's! Folks keep on asking us when we expect to be "done"--but every trip makes us more aware of new projects! Still, after a year of use, we've got it to the point where it doesn't smell bad (old cushions can reek) and actually feels comfortable for living, even if some systems (plumbing, especially) are still in a state of overhaul. Good luck and enjoy!

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 12:41 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
Greetings,

Too bad about the missing toilet--that's very irritating! But, unless you track down a vintage one, a modern one will function in its place. But welcome to the world of '61's! Folks keep on asking us when we expect to be "done"--but every trip makes us more aware of new projects! Still, after a year of use, we've got it to the point where it doesn't smell bad (old cushions can reek) and actually feels comfortable for living, even if some systems (plumbing, especially) are still in a state of overhaul. Good luck and enjoy!

Mary
Thanks to fireflyinva and Overlander64 for the welcome and the tips. I'm rolling up my sleeves and I smile everytime I open the door.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:22 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

similar issue just fixed

I have just recently tackled three leak sources recently. Here is what I found.

I started by taping small areas with aluminum duct tape where I thought the water entry was. I waited on a rain and continued to tape other areas until the dampness disappeared.

The most evasive leak that I thought was the window, ended up to be quite different when I finally located it. I started by taping window seams, then the running light, no luck, it still leaked. I then started taping over the closest seam to the window, from the bottom up(closest to the ground) and stopped at the curve. No luck, so I continued up around the curve about a foot. Eureka, that did it the moisture is gone. By taping in small areas I now know exactly where the leak was coming from.

The second leak was coming from a cracked stink pipe vent cover and the water rolled down the interior skin and created a small rot spot where the shell meets the floor.

The third was where water would enter into the water heater door and find it’s way into the “C” channel that is connected to the plywood floor. The water eventually rusted out a screw that connected the C channel to the floor and it used the old screw hole to get to the plywood.

Also make sure your AS is level. Good luck.

Bill
66 Tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 04:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings Captmorg!
The water leak near the entry door is one of the more common issues with Vintage Airstreams. There are actually several sources that may be contributing to the moisture (I have experienced each of these in my '64 Overlander):
  • The main entry door can have three issues:
  • The door may have been sprung by being blown open while in-transit or may have been caught by a strong wind while camped - - either one can result in an ill-fitting door with gaps at the top and or bottom.
  • The door gasket also is a culprit and will likely need replacing.
  • The door-within-a-door also has a gasket that if it has failed can result in a leak as well - - replacements are also available for this gasket as well.
  • The jalousie window can be a leak source as well - - poorly sized replacement glass can be an issue as can be operators that are weak and not keeping the window completely closed - - Inland-RV offers some seling gaskets that can be applied to the windows to aid in sealing.
  • The actual window opening may need some additional sealant as may the area above the door opening.
Kevin
Another place to check is the electrical outlet that is above the jalousie windows on the outside of the trailer, if your trailer has one. There is one there on my '64 Overlander and it was leaking.

Grant
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 09:23 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Good tips...thanks

I was going to try the exact thing with the duct tape. Well....almost exact....is that still exact??... Seems like a logical way to find it. The seatherstripping in the window unit itself is pretty dried, shot or missing too. I'll have to get a good look at that.

Don't think I have an outlet above the window, but I"ll check all possible entry points, obvious or not.

Steve
Old 10-22-2004, 10:46 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Duct tape

Duct tape is the silver cloth with the realy sticky backing that turns to a teribly dificult substance to remove after about 3 days in the sunshine. It has no place on aluminum. It is almost imposible to remove or it wont stick at all. Buy some expensive blue masking tape. it will peel off after quite a long time and take its sticky with it. Also the jalosie windows do not have any way for condensed water to get out of the bottoms of them and they will condense enough water in the right conditions to run over and run down the wall to the floor. that is what hppened to my 67 and rotted out a large place around the forward part of the door.

Eschew Obfuscation
McMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:13 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

That was....a concern of mine about the duct tape.....I just forgot to mention it.

Onward and upward.

Thanks Mac.

Steve