Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Saint Helena , California
Tinting Front Windows - Suggestions?

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member here. We have a 1975 24' Argosy that we have remodeled and converted to a mobile office.

We decided to tint all the windows to enhance security and to keep it cooler inside. We hired a professional window tinter and he thought he'd have no problem tinting all of the windows. Unfortunately, when it came time to do the front corner windows he was not able to complete them due to their extreme curve. He went through feet and feet of film trying to get the job done, but finally gave up. So now, our front center window is tinted (along with all the rear and side windows) but the front corner windows remain without tint. We are trying to figure out the best option to get them tinted to match the others.

Have any of you ever successfully tinted the front rounded corner windows on your trailer? If so, did you or your installer have issues?

Do you think spray tint is an option for just those two windows? Apparently it is removable...

also, tinted Rock gaurds would be nice, but a bit out of our price range and we'd really rather not have shades or curtains on the inside...

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated...Thanks!
Wgbarrbevco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Tint shops routinely have to deal with the compound curves on the rear glass on cars. They have to cut the film into strips that are tapered toward the ends. Most often they can mask the seams by placing them along the defroster grid lines. Not only do the corner windows on the Airstream have compound curves, it would be very difficult if not impossible to make the seams invisible. I'll bet your installer was faced with trying to make tapered strips that may have required an arc to match the curves I'm concerned with the ability to manually apply a spray on tint evenly. There is a lot of experience on this forum and if it can be done, hopefully a solution will come up. The stone shields are the simplest and look nice, but as you said are pretty pricey.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
There is tint that is designed to go on the outside of the windows, that might be easier to install.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Saint Helena , California
We'd be OK with someone using multiple sections of film for each window, assuming they did a decent job of meeting the film edges. I would think that would make the curve much easier to deal with.

Anyone have a used rock guard for sale that would fit on a 1975 24' Argosy front windows? We're in Northern California, but might be willing to take a road trip to pick them up, if that makes any difference...

I think I remember reading awhile back that the best price for new rock guards was around $850...is that still the case?
Wgbarrbevco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
ON my76 Sovereign my guy used two pieces of film and overlapped them just slightly and are hardly noticeable. One of the best moves I have made was tinting the windows.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
We had our curved (back) windows tinted, and it was no problem once you found the right experience. I must have called and emailed pictures to 6-7 tinters near us (Atlanta) before finding someone who felt confident to do the job. Turned out great - it can definitely be done. If I remember correctly it cost us about $200 - $300 for the back three large windows and two small windows (2 curved, one flat, 2 small porthole windows).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0165.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	163290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	356.8 KB
ID:	163291  

2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:46 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
Smile

This guy is in Aiken, SC and he does it as a side line. He told me he started doing it in high school for friends and word of mouth has made it blossom over he years so I guess he has been doing it about 25 years or so. He does not advertise and is well spoken of by many people.

You can say he really babies every job as he sprays the windows with baby shampoo to position the film.

Oh yes he has a major warning. Do not clean the windows with commercial glass cleaners with ammonia. The film will come right off quick. You can do initial clean before application of film with them but after the film no commercial glass cleaners.

We have friends who own the largest printing business in Aiken SC which is housed in a former car dealership building so the entire front if plate glass and he did their building.

Don't know if I am allowed to post his contact info but you could PM me I guess.

I just dug his card out.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote