Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2006, 08:17 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel73
Angry This is just great - we've been shot!

The window on the front of our air streams got shot out with a beebeegun went throw the first pan of glass the second pan is fine. Anyone know whos sell those?.....People should not use those if the don't know how!!!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:43 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
oh and its the small window that has the curve to them.That was shot out.Next to the big window in front for everyone can see...
Old 05-10-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Perhaps you need to move your Airstream much closer to your house or think seriously about investing in a couple of really big dogs. I lived in Georgia, for a couple of years and don't remember it being this dangerous. I'm so sorry to hear you're again having trouble with the Airstream. Most of us get such great pleasure and satisfaction out of our trailers, while your's seems to be a source of stress. Good luck with your window search. I think that Corning is making replacements for those windows, but they're not cheap. Some of the members here will be able to direct you to a dealer I'm sure.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:46 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Perhaps you need to move your Airstream much closer to your house or think seriously about investing in a couple of really big dogs. I lived in Georgia, for a couple of years and don't remember it being this dangerous. I'm so sorry to hear you're again having trouble with the Airstream. Most of us get such great pleasure and satisfaction out of our trailers, while your's seems to be a source of stress. Good luck with your window search. I think that Corning is making replacements for those windows, but they're not cheap. Some of the members here will be able to direct you to a dealer I'm sure.
The camper is in my backyard..lol Got to love those neighbors
Old 05-10-2006, 09:55 AM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
......... I lived in Georgia, for a couple of years and don't remember it being this dangerous........
Hummm, that's curious. I've been shot at several times here in Georgia. 'Course, I was in the wrong deer stand at the time.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel73
The window on the front of our air streams got shot out with a beebeegun went throw the first pan of glass the second pan is fine. Anyone know whos sell those?.....People should not use those if the don't know how!!!
Angel73,

I think that they are still available from Airstream. Give Jackson Center a call.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
oh and its the small window that has the curve to them.That was shot out.Next to the big window in front for everyone can see...
Angel73

The part you need is called a "wing window".

Unfortunately, the double pane windows that you have are no longer available.

The replacement windows are all single pane.

You will need the wing window, some olympic rivets and a tube of vulkem sealer.

If you have a drill, and a little talent, you can replace that window yourself.

Additionally, that might not have happened, if the trailer had a "rock guard" covering the front three windows.

Expect to pay over $300.00 for that window.

Also, and who knows why, wing windows are in short supply from the factory.

A dealer or two may have that window already in stock.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:09 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Angel73

The part you need is called a "wing window".

Unfortunately, the double pane windows that you have are no longer available.

The replacement windows are all single pane.

You will need the wing window, some olympic rivets and a tube of vulkem sealer.

If you have a drill, and a little talent, you can replace that window yourself.

Additionally, that might not have happened, if the trailer had a "rock guard" covering the front three windows.

Expect to pay over $300.00 for that window.

Also, and who knows why, wing windows are in short supply from the factory.

A dealer or two may have that window already in stock.

Andy
There is a rock guard but it was up due to the fact we had been working on it...got to love your neighbors.Thanks ill try that they only broke the first pan.Think i could put the new one in front of the one thats not broke and still have the double pan
Old 05-10-2006, 10:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
There is a rock guard but it was up due to the fact we had been working on it...got to love your neighbors.Thanks ill try that they only broke the first pan.Think i could put the new one in front of the one thats not broke and still have the double pan
Angel73.

No such luck.

When you purchase a wing window, is comes with the metal frame. You cannot take it apart, to get just the glass, and then take your double pane apart and install the new outer glass in it.

It simply won't fit.

Additionally, once you disturb the double pane internal gasketing, you will sadly find that you cannot expect to reassemble the window, and make it leak free.

The simple solution, ie replace the window.

The insuance on your trailer will cover that, or in the absence of insurance on the trailer, a good "homeowners policy" would cover the trailer, especially since it was in your yard.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
i tryed that yesterday our renter insurance doesn't over it.And as long as the campers in are yard the camper insurance wont cover it either.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
That's horrible!

With all the struggles you've had, and now this - I can see where you might be feeling a little snakebit by now. Keep your chin up and keep plugging away. Your Airstream family is behind you 100%.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:13 AM   #12
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Unhappy So sorry you are going through this

Quote:
i tryed that yesterday our renter insurance doesn't over it.And as long as the campers in are yard the camper insurance wont cover it either.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, correct me, the neighbor shot the window with a bb gun.
Just a thought....so, if the neighbor shot the window out, does that person's insurance cover the property damage they do to others?

Have you talked with them? Are they willing to work with you on this?

Good luck. Sorry you had that experience.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
And if the neighbors won't pay up, call the cops. That's malicious destruction of property. I wouldn't stand for it.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:03 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
I Wishes

No ....as always noone knows a thing......or heard anything.The first thing out of there mouth is was it your(mine) son.....My son own a gun not a BBgun.We have only seen one person with one he said it wasn't him....So what am i to do....But we're just going to keep going i guess.....We stripping the camper now and we're going to seal the window really well for now. We have to much other stuff to worry about....And a $300.00...... well it will be the last thing on the list. You can't tell it unless your right on top of it or your us and now its at.

Thanks for all your support.We hope to have her ready by next year.For now if we go camping it will be in a tent..
Old 05-10-2006, 07:56 PM   #15
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
In every cloud is a silver lining

Those wing windows were double pane.
Do a search and read some posts on fixing your double pane windows.
Mine - of similar vintage- had a lot of water and vapor between those corner windows. After reading these forums I decieded to fix mine. It is done by BREAKING one of the panes and then re-siliconing the other one into place.
I fixed both of my Vista Views, the front flat window and both of my corner windows as they were all cloudy. One of the corner windows went perfectly but the other side I got a little over eager with the center punch and broke both panes. It was available from my local AS dealer - $350 +-
It was not hard to install. I do think though that if the inner pane is still intact you will be able to fix it rather cheaply.
This doesn't address the human debris you call your neighbors I know but I've a hunch your windows were ready for some TLC anyway?
Best of luck
Jerry
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Sorry for the accident. One side of me says we need guns for hunting and all but the other city living side says get rid of them all. If I understand the post correctly the bullet just broke the outside pane of the double glass. If this is correct then you now have a single pane window. Clean up the broken glass and carefully remove all glass from around the frame. You should get many years of service from this one pane.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:24 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
Sorry for the accident. One side of me says we need guns for hunting and all but the other city living side says get rid of them all. If I understand the post correctly the bullet just broke the outside pane of the double glass. If this is correct then you now have a single pane window. Clean up the broken glass and carefully remove all glass from around the frame. You should get many years of service from this one pane.

I was told it would leak just to replaces it.Yeah the guy next door i think was shooting the squirrels again with a BBgun after the other neighbors told him to stop.

ultradog.....We wasnt having a problem like that.They wasn't cloud or anything.After finding what i did in the rear i check it up front i have no leaks up there at all.And the windows did look great
Old 05-11-2006, 07:30 AM   #18
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Angel, Did you mention that it was just a small hole about the size of a BB? Or did the glass shatter? If it's just a small hole, why don't you contact a (reputable) auto glass shop and see if they can repair it? Gotta be cheaper and easier than a new one.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:38 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Angel, Did you mention that it was just a small hole about the size of a BB? Or did the glass shatter? If it's just a small hole, why don't you contact a (reputable) auto glass shop and see if they can repair it? Gotta be cheaper and easier than a new one.

Jim
It shatter ...Yesterday i took all the piece of glass out.