Old 03-26-2006, 02:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
The Window Curse is Broken!!

We have successfully removed, re-gasket-ed, cleaned and re-installed a window. It's not the front window, but a window nonetheless. I figured out that the best way for us to get the dang panes in and stay in was to put twosided tape on both sides of the windowpane and then the bedding tape layered over that. It stayed. It's clamped. I was close to giving up, now we can get windows put in. Nothing has been this frustrating...we've dealt with power tools and plumbing and electrical and floors and walls and houses and paint and fences and all that in our lives, but never vehicle windows. Sure is a new concept, all this glue that has to dry *before* you stick it on, gasket that looks like it won't seal against water, and windows that are held in with a piece of rubber.

I am feeling motivated again...we don't have all the replacement windows delivered yet, but when we do, they all go in. Then...more floor removal.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and patience with my constant whining about it. What a learning experience this is!!

Old 03-26-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
If it wasn't so repetitive, I'd offer congratulations! We are ALL happy for you! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:54 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Goes to show you that there is always light at the end of the tunnel. It's not always the freight trains headlight, though. Sometimes it's the reflection of the sun in a newly installed window on a Baja beach!
Old 03-26-2006, 11:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Way to go.....Ingrid

I am very happy that you have conquered this milestone! This shall henceforth be know as "Window Installed Day"... in your honor. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks! thanks!

I get it!

*chuckle*

Apparently according to eljay my post got posted many more times than the one time I posted it. It's either been fixed or it just doesn't show up on my computer that way, I only saw one.

Well I thought that was an enthusiastic congrats on your part either way, azflycaster, so thanks thanks thanks...

Funny how once you cross a hurdle it's no longer important and all you care about is what you have to do next. Here's to the successful window install:

"i am the greatest!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Congratulations!
Old 03-27-2006, 01:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Pictures Pictures Pictures

Hey, after all this hard work and multiple posts - we need pictures........

Congrats
Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
OK...it's raining now and the window is covered up with plastic, but I'll do it when the sun shines again.

And my new windows arrived, unbroken, I'm sooo happy and ready to get them in!
Old 03-27-2006, 09:30 PM   #9
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Stoopid question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
OK...it's raining now and the window is covered up with plastic, but I'll do it when the sun shines again.

And my new windows arrived, unbroken, I'm sooo happy and ready to get them in!
If the new window was successfully installed, why is it covered with plastic?
Old 03-28-2006, 12:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Because I'm de-rusting and polishing the assembly that pulls on the window clips to get it closed it all the way. I'm doing it on all the hinge assemblies too. The rainy season has been longer than I can remember this season, driving us crazy here. Also, I sprayed the gasket with silicone spray and I want to let it set before I close the window.

I just burned out my second dremel and I think I'm going to get one of those tumbler thingies for small parts that I saw on DIY, if I can't find something to polish small parts that will put up with my abuse. Any ideas or experience with this? The window frames are covered with white rust too, I don't need it to be shiny perfect, but they're pretty dirty. What do y'all use for polishing, but not the outer skin?

ingrid
Old 03-28-2006, 05:57 AM   #11
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Because I'm de-rusting and polishing the assembly that pulls on the window clips to get it closed it all the way. I'm doing it on all the hinge assemblies too. The rainy season has been longer than I can remember this season, driving us crazy here. Also, I sprayed the gasket with silicone spray and I want to let it set before I close the window.

I just burned out my second dremel and I think I'm going to get one of those tumbler thingies for small parts that I saw on DIY, if I can't find something to polish small parts that will put up with my abuse. Any ideas or experience with this? The window frames are covered with white rust too, I don't need it to be shiny perfect, but they're pretty dirty. What do y'all use for polishing, but not the outer skin?

ingrid
Ingrid, if you are talking about the "rock tumbler" I saw a while back, I don't think it would be a good idea. SOS or Brillo pads work well at removing rust, as long as it isn't deeply pitted.
The white rust, as I am sure you know, is aluminum corrosion, so go easy on the areas that have that until you can see they are still sound. Better a corroded piece of aluminum, than a few shiny bits. If it is still good, you can go to your local Ace Hardware (my favorite toy store) and pick up a bottle of Noxon7. It claims to clean and polish many metals, including aluminum. It has done an acceptable job on the skin of our Overlander, and is pretty inexpensive, A 10 oz bottle was $6.99 last time I bought any.
Also, Dremel has a 5 year warranty, so don't toss it out, send it back for a free replacement.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Hey! I didn't know that! Thanks! Will do.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Two more windows in!

Two more in, four to go...as soon as we fix the glass bars (clean, straighten out, drill where needed) we're on our way. Clean up the crank assembly and also the window clip pulls, and close the windows. Yahoo!
Old 04-03-2006, 07:10 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Two more in, four to go...as soon as we fix the glass bars (clean, straighten out, drill where needed) ...
Photos, photos!!

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote