Old 03-22-2003, 07:43 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
The Dreaded Vista View

Well, I got one leaking. Problem is, everything looks OK. Not sure if it is coming in around the glass or, frame. Now, my 1972 model has a build date of 9/71. It looks like the snap ring type in the other threads and links I have come up with in search results. If it is a snap ring type, how do I remove it? Pry the gap apart? Push down and out at the gap? There appears to be a gray gasket type material between the plexiglass inner pane and glass outer pane. Someone has drilled "drainage" holes in the plexiglass. The tinting looks horrible. Should I break the plexiglass or try and pry the frame out?

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 09:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Pick,

I did the ones on my Overlander a few months ago and so far they are holding up fine. The exact procedure depends upon the year model. I basically followed the instructions I found on the web by doing a search. The VAC website has a section on vistaviews but better yet go google and type in vistaview windows and Hightower. I would give you the exact address but have found it hard to access directly.

Just a few tips, if you have the two piece retainers be sure to mark exactly where they came from and their exact orientation, try not to distort them too much, get everything clean and reassembled and shoot the silicone in last, just before putting in the rubber spacing material. Installing the retainers can take a while and the silicone will start to cure and make a huge mess.

I just did my front wing windows using the same basic procedure but they are different, you must remove the entire units, (drill out the rivets), disassemble the frames and separate the glass, (they are all glass). I deleted the inside panes and siliconed them back just like my vistas.

Chas

Old 03-22-2003, 09:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Chas, I found that hightower website. On the '72's they say "Just remove inner plexiglass", but don't say how. It does appear to be the snap ring type according to the pictures, but according to the model year it is not.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 03-29-2003, 11:00 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Pick
I have a 1972 Excella that has the vista view windows that were totally fogged and nasty looking. What I did was get some olympic rivits and drilled out the frame rivits so I could remove the entire window unit. I then removed the snap ring, the inner pane and the outer pane. I took a razor scrapper and got rid of the nasty old window film. Than used Dow corning 795 and masking tape and used the 795 as the window gasket and sealer. I did not reinstall the inner pane. Now my vista windows look like new.
All the other windows I removed the inner panes and cleaned the window film off them also. The curved windows in the front I removed them and the frames from the trailer and did the same treatment to them as I did to the vistas.
I went through about 300 rivits. The windows look great though
On another note I was reading your axle replacement story. I replaced mine last summer. My 72 pulls great.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:18 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Thanks!

The only thing stopping me from doing something like that, is having to buy a $180 rivet shaver! But I suppose I should bite the bullet and do so. I do see some rivets that look like they have not been shaved properly and could be sources of leaks.

Have not had her on a trip, yet, just around the block to check brakes, lug nuts etc.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 03-30-2003, 11:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Pick,

No problem here, I just call my buddy PeterMH and ask him if I can borrow his shaver. Then he will come over intending to just let me borrow it and show me how to do a few and then before he realizes it he ends up doing them all !! I guess he did almost a 100 of them for me. Here's how it works, O.K., do one more! Let me see it again from this angle! That slow? How much more? Do this one! How about that one? Didn't see that! Let me see that again!

I am sure if you buy him a airline ticket or better yet foot his mh's fuel bill he would be glad to do the same for you!

Chas