Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The best way I've found to unstick windows.

A butter knife! Go into the trailer, look in the silverware drawer, and pull out a butter knife. Go outside and go to each window one by one and gently put the blunt end of the knife in between the window and the rubber and pry gently against the window frame. There ya go. Maybe when the new wears off the windows won't stick anymore.
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
I wouldn't recommend using the butter knife if it's metal. Could regret it down the road.

Anything but.

Me? I use a small hardwood wedge

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Put some tire talc on the rubber weatherstripping. It's the only thing that works, and it works great.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Tire talc? where do I purchase this? That sounds like the best idea. Make it so that the windows don't stick in the first place. Hmmm... Why didn't they do that at the factory? Just sayin'.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Tire talc? where do I purchase this? That sounds like the best idea. Make it so that the windows don't stick in the first place. Hmmm... Why didn't they do that at the factory? Just sayin'.
The sticky window gasket has been an issue for many years.

The fix?

Easier than pie.

Coat the gaskets initially with a good dose of silicone spray.

Leave it on for a couple of days. then open the windows and wipe he excess off.

Recoat the gaskets maybe once a year or so, depending on the summer heat levels, and the windows will never stick again.

As an added benefit, the gaskets will last much longer since the silicone keeps the junk air we all breathe off the gaskets.

You can also spray the door and trunk gaskets on cars and trucks, if you plan on keeping them for a long time.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I use this....great add for the AS tool box.

And this if needed...plastic.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Talc is talc. Only difference between tire talc and talc based baby powder is the packaging and the scent.

Don't use it on babies any more. They say it gets in their lungs. Tires and windows perfectly OK.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Talc is talc. Only difference between tire talc and talc based baby powder is the packaging and the scent.

Don't use it on babies any more. They say it gets in their lungs. Tires and windows perfectly OK.
Talc doesn't penetrate the pores of the rubber gasket, as silicone spray does.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Silicone spray works fine and after about 2 years our windows stopped sticking. I spray them once or twice a year because it keeps the gaskets pliable. I use it on the door gasket and other gaskets too. A metal putty knife works if you use it gently. A hammer would work too, but they are sure hard to use gently, so don't.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
tempered glass

well, you can probably beat on 'em, and they will resist breaking; but; put a point to them, or a small edge on the edge of the glass and the solid pane can become a zillion small pieces. the silicon spray works.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i use a nice heavy plastic utensil. if you use one in each lower corner they open very easily.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
A butter knife! Go into the trailer, look in the silverware drawer, and pull out a butter knife. Go outside and go to each window one by one and gently put the blunt end of the knife in between the window and the rubber and pry gently against the window frame. There ya go. Maybe when the new wears off the windows won't stick anymore.
I recommend a teflon spatula and twice a year applying 303 or silicone spray. If you clean the windows when you receive trailer from factory and remove alum. particles,then apply protectorate,they stay in good condition. Also,some spray on Fantastic fan gaskets works wonders. The new seal material on fan is wonderful. They should give Airstreams a heads up.
herrick51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
One has to be careful about petroleum distillates in whatever they use (none = better). I always thought LPS-1 silicon spray had a lower amount than, say, LPS-3. I found my windows needed retreating every year using LPS-1. Following lewster's advice, I've had longer lasting results using DuPont Teflon Dry Lube. I spray it on a paper towel (refreshing frequently) and then rub that on the gasket and window frame where the flange seals. Results improved the second year I followed this regimen; even better the third! Haven't treated in a couple years now.

I also use this on the gasket for the Fantastic Fan that otherwise sticks. But you have to be really careful for the end cap segments, have some extra height or rig a ladder just-so if you want to reach this gasket from the outside. I haven't found a good way to access it from the inside.

[on edit: Be careful about overspray. I offer no assurances if you get any spray product on your exterior's plasticoat.]

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I came across a red plastic putty knife yesterday. Seems like it will be a good tool. Other things come to mind like plastic spatulas and cake icing spreaders. Thanks for all the good tips. I was kinda hoping that the windows would eventually with age stop sticking. Flip side of that coin is the reason why the trailer feels so warm and cozy is because there are no drafts or leaks.