Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2004, 12:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
talk to me about windows.

We have a 1967 A/S Tradewind, all corning windows intact except for one, and one is plastic which I think works fine.

Here's my question: are there replacements for corning windows that work well, so we can sell the ones we have and stop worrying about them breaking out? Sorry for you purists; but we lost one on the road and it just seemed like a huge waste of money to look at the shards all over the inside...and I'm just tossing this out as a newbie. If cornings should stay, how do we make them better? I can take pictures of them and post, as always if need be. I'm under the impression there's a curvature problem in getting window replacements.

Talk to me!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:20 PM   #2
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I'm not sure what the market would be for them. But I honestly thing something happens to the windows after 30 years. Expecially the ones that do not open. On my trailer and I have heard of others, they seem to just shatter going down the road.

Does something happen to them that makes them brittle after so many years?

I had to replace my front two wrap windows with lexan as they were busted out when I purchased the trailer.

The replacement turned out OK, but I could do a much better job now that I have a little experience.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
I too am interested in this "exploding windows" phenomena, since we have a '66. Does anyone know what this is and why?

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:57 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
My trailer has one plastic window. The glass that was there broke while travelling down the road with the previous owner. I've talked to others who've had the same thing happen. I have also thought about PinkFlamingoes plan to just go ahead and replace the windows with plastic, but I've heard the lexan replacements don't seal well until they 'take a set' to the curve of the window frame.

I think having one break while travelling would really ruin your trip! I'm STILL finding broken glass in my Caravel!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 01:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Lightbulb Some thoughts...

Quote:
Does anyone know what this is and why?
I'm no expert and I don't have Corning Glass windows. However, I would imagine there are several factors that contribute to their tendency to break. As trailers sit over their years of neglect 'things settle'...

1. Old tires get out of round
2. Metal fatigues, frames droop
3. Axles bow or sag
4. As glass ages it becomes more brittle

As you 'wake up' these trailers from years of storage and take them on the road again, they flex and jostle around...and glass is not flexible, especially the frameless Corning windows.

Most people just want to get their 'new baby's home before starting work on running gear repairs...allot of window 'blow-outs occur on the way to their new homes...sometimes the first time these oldies have been moved in 10+ years.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 02:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
If you do decide to sell your original glass, you'll find a ready market for it!

I would not rush to plastic until you need to, just because of the work involved in replacing the glass, and the fact that the plastic doesn't work as well (because of the curvature issue).

But that latter problem may soon be solved. I am making a mold to permanently bend Lexan windows to the exact curvature needed (with the application of high heat in an oven). If the technique works, I'll offer the solution to anyone who want to make their own bent plastic windows. Stay tuned.

-RL

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 02:52 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
That does sound interesting, Rich.

I'm not sure I buy the 'sitting in neglect' theory, Shari. My trailer lost a window after years of regular use. Though I considered that age-related issues, like flex could have been involved. My trailer took an annual trip to AK, and we've all heard stories about how rough the roads are there. Brittleness may also enter into it.

Either way, when they go they bust into many many tiny pieces, and they get everywhere! I know this from the fine pieces I keep finding in the trailer. What happens to the majority of the window? If it safety glass of any sort, or does it break into jagged shards?

A recent discussion of this on the VAC list led to some members suggesting a layer of window tinting film on the inside could protect the trailer from getting showered in glass if a break did occur.

Old 07-08-2004, 04:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
I too am interested in this "exploding windows" phenomena, since we have a '66. Does anyone know what this is and why?
I remember reading a tale of a new Airstreamer transporting his "new" vintage trailer down the road, and having, I believe, the forward & two front windows explode. In his case, he was travelling in the dead of winter. In his particular case, I decided his windows were literally frozen in place, and could not flex with the rest of his new project.

Ever notice that Andy has repeatedly mentioned the importance of spraying silicone spray on your window seals on a regular basis? My '67 owners manual mentions the same thing. I think the spray is more to keep your windows from sticking to the gasket than it is to keep the rubber in good shape. Once the windows cannot flex, they break.

I think a lot of people may be going down the road with windows stuck in place due to dried gunk, and the windows cannot flex with the rest of the trailer. Aluminum does not mind a bit of flex. Tempered glass is not as tolerant.

This is all my opinion. But I have thought about it a lot. Devil's advocates are highly encouraged to contribute to this post.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 05:01 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
That's a good idea. I noticed after a winter of sitting, my windows were stuck to the gaskets when I went to open them. I hadn't seen the recommendations to silicone the gaskets, but I think I will go do so now

That would be a bummer to lose three windows at once on your new vintage toy!

Old 07-08-2004, 05:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Steph ~

Quote:
I'm not sure I buy the 'sitting in neglect' theory, Shari. My trailer lost a window after years of regular use.
I'm not suggesting that every trailer that a has a broken or replaced window sits neglected...of course, some windows just get broken from road debris...after 30+ years, it's bound to happen, we all start 'breaking down' after 30.

I guess what I meant by my earlier post, was before alot of them are sold...they are neglected by the PO, which is what prompted the sale in the first place.

How many times have we heard '...it's been stored in a barn unused for the last 10 years since my father died' or 'it might need new tires...they are 10 years old and cracked...but I just drove 500+ miles on them so they must be okay' or 'I just want to get it home before I start fixin' things'?

We've all heard the stories...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 05:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
I'm interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
If you do decide to sell your original glass, you'll find a ready market for it!

I would not rush to plastic until you need to, just because of the work involved in replacing the glass, and the fact that the plastic doesn't work as well (because of the curvature issue).

But that latter problem may soon be solved. I am making a mold to permanently bend Lexan windows to the exact curvature needed (with the application of high heat in an oven). If the technique works, I'll offer the solution to anyone who want to make their own bent plastic windows. Stay tuned.

-RL
Please be sure to post any positive results on the Lexan curvature experiment...we've got so much work to do on this thing it couldn't possibly add that much more time to the project! I'm interested!!!

Oh and it's nice sort of, to hear that maybe there wasn't that much more we could do about the window breaking, and that it's fairly common so to speak. It also means we had pretty good luck on all the other windows, which, except for one plastic one, are all corning.

ingrid
Old 07-08-2004, 06:02 PM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
How many times have we heard '...it's been stored in a barn unused for the last 10 years since my father died' or 'it might need new tires...they are 10 years old and cracked...but I just drove 500+ miles on them so they must be okay' or 'I just want to get it home before I start fixin' things'?

We've all heard the stories...

Shari
Yes, whenever I see that I always think it's probably not the 'time capsule' they try to make it sound like. I'd much prefer to buy one that's being used regularly. The PO of my trailer moved up to a bigger one, same with the Bambi I breifly owned. Both were in excellent working order. But I have great admiration for those who dive in and bring one back from the brink too!

I just went out and put silicone on all my window gaskets. Now I might go look for some window tinting film. I'm glad you brought this up, Pink, I've been thinking about this for some time, and I'd like to take care of it before the big trip to CO!

Old 07-08-2004, 07:30 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
Oh and it's nice sort of, to hear that maybe there wasn't that much more we could do about the window breaking, and that it's fairly common so to speak. It also means we had pretty good luck on all the other windows, which, except for one plastic one, are all corning.
Ingrid, there are a few things to do to help prevent broken Corning windows, but it seems that, well, if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. Applying window tint to the inside of the window is a good idea to help keep the "blast zone" to a minimum, but you still would have a broken window. Maybe replacing the weatherstripping around the windows would help some, it sure couldn't hurt.
Terry
Old 07-08-2004, 08:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
Ingrid, there are a few things to do to help prevent broken Corning windows, but it seems that, well, if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. Applying window tint to the inside of the window is a good idea to help keep the "blast zone" to a minimum, but you still would have a broken window. Maybe replacing the weatherstripping around the windows would help some, it sure couldn't hurt.
Terry
Yeah that's kind of what I figure, and since I don't care whether the windows are original/corning or not, just that they work, don't leak and look allright, I'd rather sell the cornings and get a little $$$ for a new polisher or something instead of worrying about them breaking. We are going to fix this boy up nice but we do want to use it!

ingrid
Old 07-08-2004, 08:50 PM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
If you replace them be sure to go with good lexan, not just plexi. I have plexi in mine and it gets scratched and is beginning to get a little foggy looking. I'll probably have to replace it with lexan someday.

Old 07-08-2004, 09:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Talk to me about Lexan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
If you replace them be sure to go with good lexan, not just plexi. I have plexi in mine and it gets scratched and is beginning to get a little foggy looking. I'll probably have to replace it with lexan someday.
Where do you get it? I'm thinking of just replacing them now since this trailer is in not bad cosmetically, but very unused shape. Tell me all you know about Lexan.

pf

ingrid
Old 07-09-2004, 12:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Lexan same as polycarbonate?

I am thinking that lexan may be a brand name and that it is basically polycarbonate. If that is true then you might check out Tap Plastics. The following site gives some description of polycarbonate.

http://www.tapplastics.com/info/polycarbonate.php?

I understand that Inland sells replacement lexan windows that come with a stainless steel moulding around their edges that I think is intended to help make the window hold the correct curve. If it is desirable to have stainless trim aroung the plastic then you could check out what Inland has to offer or maybe get some extrusion from some place like the following:

http://www.crlaurence.com/ProductPag...35&Path=::7135

I think that the replacement windows that Inland sells are 1/8" thick lexan.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 01:43 AM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
I've also heard Tap Plastics is a good source, but I haven't looked into it much for myself yet. If you do please be sure and let us know how it goes and how the installation goes.

Old 07-09-2004, 05:09 AM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
Where do you get it? I'm thinking of just replacing them now since this trailer is in not bad cosmetically, but very unused shape. Tell me all you know about Lexan.

pf
Andy at Inland sells Lexan replacements for your Corning windows.
Terry
Old 07-09-2004, 06:14 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Lexan is the brand name for polycarbonate plastic, it's also what hockey players use for their visors. The visors have a clear plastic sheet stuck to the inside to prevent shattering if they are broken, ie hit with a hard rubber puck at 70 miles an hour. Wonder if that stuff is sold in bulk?

Plexiglass is the brand name for clear acrylic. Not as strong and has the fogging issues mentioned.
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote