Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2005, 03:47 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvmcg
There's an older bambi model at the Airstream dealer I use, they have it out front, it's painted bright yellow and has mirrored tint on the windows. It looks a little too much for my liking. I prefer the dark smokey tint next to the aluminum shell...looks very classy. I also redid the screens in solar black screening which adds to the privacy factor during the day even with the windows open. At night I keep the patio lights on the awning on and roll down the blinds except for the windows looking out onto the patio...you can see out but not in to the casual walker-by... unless you have a peeping tom type!
Did you have experience with re-screening? I have some screens that need to be redone and might consider tip-to-tail re-screening with solar black. Is there much of a viewing difference from inside with the black screen? Have any pics from inside out?
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 04:05 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Send a message via Yahoo to atvmcg
I'd never rescreened before. I bought a roll of black solar screening, the screen tubing and the screening tool from Home Depot. I screwed up the first one but kept going and learned the knack of pulling with one hand to keep it tight and feeding with the other hand. I found a putty knife in the back pocket with the screeing tool was handy. The second screen was near perfect and I just kept on going til they were all done. They look great! and your vision from inside to outside is just as a normal grey screen. Can't do any photos right now as they are off and in the shed with the new drapes and roll blinds while I finish off the flooring and countertops ( too much dust and grime around).
atvmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 04:14 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvmcg
I'd never rescreened before. I bought a roll of black solar screening, the screen tubing and the screening tool from Home Depot. I screwed up the first one but kept going and learned the knack of pulling with one hand to keep it tight and feeding with the other hand. I found a putty knife in the back pocket with the screeing tool was handy. The second screen was near perfect and I just kept on going til they were all done. They look great! and your vision from inside to outside is just as a normal grey screen. Can't do any photos right now as they are off and in the shed with the new drapes and roll blinds while I finish off the flooring and countertops ( too much dust and grime around).
Not a problem on the pics, just thought if you had them it would be good to see for myself. I can certainly take a bad screen and give the black a try. If I don't like it, no problem, I just redo the screen. It is good to hear that it was your first time, as it will be mine. I am getting cabin fever now, and cant wait to get started. I'll have to look, maybe this is a project that start now in the house.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote