Old 12-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #1
1971 31' Sovereign
Wilton , California
strange rivets on top of window frame...

I am working on a 1970 Sovereign and have run into a problem with one of the windows. A few of the windows need new weather stripping so I have removed them and am cleaning out all the old gunk

This one, however, has some really strange rivets. Looks like at some point someone re-riveted along the top (the J-shaped long piece that hinges onto the trailer) and the rivets went right through the original weather stripping. How do I deal with this? Cleaning around them is hard enough but I can't possibly apply new weather stripping over these. Do I have to have the rivets re-done?

Thanks for any info!!

KatherineP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Whoever did the modification to the window used an archaic type of olympic rivet instead of the bucked (or squeezed) solid aluminum rivets that should have been used.

I would fix it - the back of the rivet is way too proud to the surface to allow the window to close and seal properly. Many window shops can do frame work but a simpler (depending on where you live) solution might be to head down to your neighborhood small airport and find an A and P mechanic. Said mechanic should be able to replace the rivets in short order with the correct fasteners. What it will cost you depends a lot on where you are and how busy the shop is...

A friend with a rivet gun or a rivet squeezer would be even better!

Old (usually dirty) Nissan Titan
Old (enhanced with "male pattern baldness") Sovereign
Young, lovely bride
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote