Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
1959 18' Traveler
1963 16' Bambi
Victoria , British Columbia
stopping road grit from sneaking in the rear window

Hi Everybody,
I need to get the rear window of my 59-60 Traveler to close tightly enough to keep the road grit out.
It has the older openers with double ended handles on each side and no bottom lock like the newer windows.
Do I need to add a lock somehow? If so what have you used?
Could it be the weather stripping on the window frame?

Has anyone encountered this problem? Please advise!
Cindy
CindyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
First thought is that the weatherstrip is probably hard and no longer seals well. Second, and this happens to us every trip, is that air filters in through the rear access hatch and blows the accumulated grime out from around the cabinets and toilet.
I keep trying to seal things up but still find that layer of old trailer detritus blown is along the back wall.

Just a thought,
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hello,

I agree it is likely the weatherstripping. You might try that first. If you don't think that is the problem... you might see if when you are driving if your overhead vents aren't quite sealed, or the vent over your stove... I would think they would create a suction of some sorts and pull dust in. I do not know the layout of your Airstream, but our Bambi has the stove top right by the rear window. We made little rubber stopper thingys we put in the vent on the outside before we drive to block the suction. Haven't had much trouble with dirt and grime coming in... we have new window seals as well.

Here is a link to pictures and general information about our vent and this issue... Scroll down to about post #383
http://www.airforums.com/forum...-17925-28.html

Good luck! If you find a sure fire solution be sure and post it!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy
Hi Everybody,
I need to get the rear window of my 59-60 Traveler to close tightly enough to keep the road grit out.
It has the older openers with double ended handles on each side and no bottom lock like the newer windows.
Do I need to add a lock somehow? If so what have you used?
Could it be the weather stripping on the window frame?

Has anyone encountered this problem? Please advise!
Cindy
Cindy.

Your problem is very common.

The window gaskets used on the vinatge windows, by todays standards, was extrememly poor.

A new type "D" shaped hollow gasket is now used as a replacement. It has superior sealing qualities, along with a long life span, provided you coat it once a year or so with silicone spray, which any of the newer styles gaskets require as well.

It's the junk in the air that we breathe, that attacks rubber gaskets.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote