Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
bremerton , Washington
Steps for removing window and frame for a 64' sovereign

Before I go in blindly, I thought maybe someone could give me a step by step on removing the windows and the frames on my 30 foot 64' sovereign. We only have two missing windows, and all the framing is intact. We want to take everything apart, clean it, put it back together with new seals. Any input is appreciated, thanks.
jrossingaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
You need to remove a set screw that's in the center above each window. I had to bend my rail a little to do that (straighten it back when you re-install). Remove the cranks for the windows. Pull your window from the outside up, and then try to slide it out of the channel. If it doesn't budge, use a piece of wood about as long as the end of the window, and tap it with a mallet. That should get it moving. All of the parts for remaking a window from 1964 are available at Vintage Trailer Supply. First goes your sticky black stuff (glazing tape) then your glass,and then the edging (Hallmark plastic glazing strip). There used to be a tutorial on Vintage Airstream.com , but I couldn't find it for you. Clean them up good before you start!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
bremerton , Washington
thanks!

Thank you for the response! I'll give it a try.....
Old 03-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
bremerton , Washington
I'm concerned about that screw. I'm afraid of breaking the rail, its really on there and completely covering the screw! I don't see how I could bend it just a little. Maybe I'm going at it wrong?
Old 03-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
there should be a small Philips head screw located on the outside center of the upper window channel. It screws into a small nylon tab in the inside the channel on the top of the window frame. Also 2 nylon slides are located on the end of each of the side lifting levers. It is the same for side or front and rear windows on your 64.

1st. With the window closed. Remove the screw from the outside middle frame. Nothing should be restricting you from unscrewing it, just don't lose it.

2nd. now crank open the window and look underneath until you can see the place on each side of the slide tracks that has a larger slot in it. this will allow you to pull the nylon slider out from both sides of the cranks

3rd. Now be careful, lift and lower the frame in place to find were it will slide out of the upper track. You may need to Tap it gently from side to side. As it slides out of the track watch out for that nylon piece in the center that the screw was it, you will not find an other. You can improvise with a cut 1/4" piece of 14 ga. wire.

You can find the rest of the parts you will need from Vintage trailer supply. Plus Steve is a very knowledgeable fellow and a great resource.

Have fun with your project.

Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Almost forgot that the front and rear windows have 2 separate cranks each that you will have to remove them to get the side lifter slides out of there tracks.
The screws that hold the cranks on to the frame are not standard Philips, Torx, or standard slotted. This will require a special slotted bit for your driver. You can purchase a set from vintage Trailer Supply.

Once you remove the crank mechanism's, you can manipulate the sliders out of there tracks. Then proceed to slide the whole frame out of the upper track. with the larger front and rear windows it is eazier to get them out with help the first time or two.
The same is true for the side windows. They can vary from coach to coach depending on were they were made.
Mine have a single crank on the right side and a round tube across the top connecting the 2 lifting arms. These are a pain in the U no what to remove the cranks. However I do not think you have to remove the cranks and arms to get the window out. Try it and see your frames could be different.
My front was really gummed up with silicon and other sealants. Here are a few photos. I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	010-2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	352.0 KB
ID:	180529   Click image for larger version

Name:	012-2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	180530  

Name:	029-2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	180531   Click image for larger version

Name:	040-2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	180532  

Name:	019-2.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	180533   Click image for larger version

Name:	016-2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	180534  

Old 03-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrossingaul View Post
I'm concerned about that screw. I'm afraid of breaking the rail, its really on there and completely covering the screw! I don't see how I could bend it just a little. Maybe I'm going at it wrong?
Mine were really covered too. I bent them to get the screwdriver in there. Maybe someone with the same kind of center screw can chime in, the set screw pictured in the other post here is definitely on the outside. Mine were not.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 03-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana

Name:	IMG_0838[1].jpg
Views:	144
Size:	497.3 KB
ID:	180546

You can still see a bit of a bend where I had to bend to get at the screw. The screw has a bit of Tempro over it, so it's rather dark.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 03-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Becky, I see what you mean. It appears to be a nice bit of flashing was riveted to the top of the window frame from the factory. I have noticed Air Stream did a lot of things at one plant they did not do at an other. I think it may have been a parts on hand sort of thing. Obviously yours differs from mine.
In your case I would think that bending the flashing up at the point to remove the screw from the slide channel is the only way to remove the screw unless you are going to remove the inner frame. Then you have to start drilling rivets.

Tags
sovereign