Old 01-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
Speaking of wing windows...

I have one out and will be tackling the other one shortly. Don't know if it's typical, but mine have a trim ring around the interior that, once removed, gives clear access to the back side of the frames without having to remove any interior panels. I've got a LOT of sealant to clean out, but once I do, riveting the frame back in will be no problem. That being the case, would I be better off using buck or Olympic rivets?

On the subject of buck rivets, the rivet gun I see at Vintage Trailer looks like a standard pneumatic air hammer that mechanics use, and are readily available lots of places for a lot less than $150! I don't mind spending money on tools, but I do mind paying 2-3 times or more for the same thing, just because it's being sold by a specialty supplier. Or am I missing something? Thanks, folks.

Dave

Old 01-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
There is a big difference between the two. A rivet gun is sized to a specific piston and stroke for the size of the gun. They also have more strokes per minute with a throttling trigger and are easier to control then your standard Air Hammer. If used side by side the differences are immediately obvious.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
There is a big difference between the two. A rivet gun is sized to a specific piston and stroke for the size of the gun. They also have more strokes per minute with a throttling trigger and are easier to control then your standard Air Hammer. If used side by side the differences are immediately obvious.
Thanks for the heads up, I did some more research and there IS a big difference. I also did enough research to tell that the price at Vintage Trailer Supply is very competitive. Turns out most of these are used by aircraft home builders, talk about a specialty supply house !

So what about my first question, am I better off using buck rivets if I can, or Olympics? This project is becoming a great excuse to buy tools, I purchased a pneumatic pop riveter last year, and a pneumatic caulking gun last week. As long as I'm working on the AS, I can rationalize just about anything with the boss . Later.

Dave
Old 01-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
IMHO solid shank (buck rivets) are far superior to any blind type rivet if installed correctly. check out the chapter below as it is the bible per say of aircraft rivets, installation and just a lot of good info
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AC 43.13.pdf (2.16 MB, 61 views)
Old 01-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
What are you trying to accomplish by removing them, stop leaks, rebuild them or what?

Perry
Old 01-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
What are you trying to accomplish by removing them, stop leaks, rebuild them or what?

Perry
Yes . I'm rebuilding, resealing, and tinting ALL the windows, most are double pane with plexi inner panes, and the plastic film on the inside of the outer glass. Or at least, what's left of that film after nearly 40 years.

I was going to skip the wing windows, but the rest of the project has been coming along so nicely that I decided to do some exploratory surgery on them, despite some of the horror stories I've read here. I already knew that the frames had to be removed to do anything with the glass, and once I removed the inner trim rings and realized I had easy access to the back side for riveting, I decided to go ahead. Although I had no leaks inside the windows like some, I did have leaks around them, and some of the butyl tape between the panes has deteriorated and shifted with age. Seemed a shame to do everything else and leave a couple of the more prominent windows untouched. My only concern at this point is coming up with a replacement for the gaskets that hold the glass in the frame, but I'm confident I'll come up with something, I usually do. 30+ years as a jack of all trades has me well prepared for this kind of project . Later.

Dave
Old 01-19-2012, 02:40 AM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
IMHO if you can use buck rivets do so, they are going to give you a better finish than an Olympic. Probably stronger too.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Zep has a source for the U-shaped gasket or at least he did at one time. I guess it will take beer or two to get it out of him.

Perry
Old 01-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Zep has a source for the U-shaped gasket or at least he did at one time. I guess it will take beer or two to get it out of him.
2-Buck Chuck will do nicely, thank you.

You can start your search for gaskets here at CRLaurence. The problem with them is they have a large minimum order if you buy direct. I haven't been able to find an outlet that will sell just one or two rolls of gasket material.

Zep
Zeppelinium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I thought you had a source for the gray U-shaped gasket that cradled the glass in the frame?

Perry
Old 01-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
CRL is the source. I got some samples from them. I don't have a vendor where individual rolls can be purchased. If we want to buy 11 cases (or some such absurd large number), then we can make a minimum purchase and spread it out to forum members.

I could never get more than two members interested at a time and I couldn't justify holding 7-8 cases myself, until others became interested.

Zep
Old 01-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
CRL is the source. I got some samples from them. I don't have a vendor where individual rolls can be purchased. If we want to buy 11 cases (or some such absurd large number), then we can make a minimum purchase and spread it out to forum members.

I could never get more than two members interested at a time and I couldn't justify holding 7-8 cases myself, until others became interested.

Zep
I'm interested in enough for my 77sovereign and maybe one more trailer. Is this stuff very year specific? Like maybe 70s models!
Mike
Old 01-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
The gasket I used fits all the later 70s models, for the double pane windows.

One note: When I talk gasket, it's for the double pane windows that open. The gasket for the wing windows and vista views is different (wider) than for the opening double pane windows.

Zep
Old 01-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1967 24' Tradewind
1975 31' Sovereign
Estancia , New Mexico
Wing or vista view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post
Don't know if it's typical, but mine have a trim ring around the interior
Sounds like a description of a vista View window. I have never seen a wing window with the trim ring.