Old 05-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Side bedroom window shattered!

We just returned from our first trip on our new Airstream. We had a great time, except for typical newbie issues.

When we returned the trailer to the dealership where it is currently being stored, we found out we had a broken window. One of our side bedroom windows is totally shattered, although the screen is not damaged.

I asked about warranty and was told it's not covered. So any idea how much we can expect to pay for a window replacement. I didn't take a picture of the broken window, but there are two "stick-like" things hanging down on either side of the frame.

Anyway, we're just trying to get an idea of how much the dealership might charge us for this first-time repair.

And I have to ask....is it something we did wrong???

Thanks!

Old 05-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Maybe and maybe not. Was it broken when you finished the trip? Could it have been left unlatched from camping? Could have been hit with a stone. Street side or curb side?

Sometimes, if tempered glass is installed in a bit of a bind, it can break when heated up by the sun or when flexed, as it might during travel.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
there have been reported issues of improperly adjusted windows shattering. you might want to try calling jackson center and explaining your situation.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
I just replaced a side front window that broke and it was really easy. I bought the replacement window from Inland RV. It has a hinge on top that fits in your window frame. You have to tip it up almost straight up to reinsert the new window hinge in place. Once that is done you attach the two lift rods to the new window attachment points. The nuts that hold the lift rods to the window are probably still attached to your rods. When a window shatters, the attachment rods normally remain with the fastening nuts. The new window has a hinge on top, lift rod attachment points on each side, and a metal bracket on the bottom to lock the window in place. Check out one of your other lift windows to see how the lift rods insert through the window frame. When my window broke, the hinge part of the window remained on top--I simply lifted up on the hinge and it came right out. If you don't have the hinge, don't worry because it is installed on the new window from the factory.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
I forgot to answer your question on cost. My window assembly cost $194 including shipping from California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
I just replaced a side front window that broke and it was really easy. I bought the replacement window from Inland RV. It has a hinge on top that fits in your window frame. You have to tip it up almost straight up to reinsert the new window hinge in place. Once that is done you attach the two lift rods to the new window attachment points. The nuts that hold the lift rods to the window are probably still attached to your rods. When a window shatters, the attachment rods normally remain with the fastening nuts. The new window has a hinge on top, lift rod attachment points on each side, and a metal bracket on the bottom to lock the window in place. Check out one of your other lift windows to see how the lift rods insert through the window frame. When my window broke, the hinge part of the window remained on top--I simply lifted up on the hinge and it came right out. If you don't have the hinge, don't worry because it is installed on the new window from the factory.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
I was typing my original response to your question when this response was made. I totally agree that Jackson Center should be questioned because there is very little that you could do to cause a window to crack unless you hit something. My window was broken by my awning support bracket when I swerved to avoid a head on collision and caught the bracket on a river bridge brace.

In your case there was most likely something wrong with the original window. Even if your window was not properly locked, it is highly unlikely that even bouncing a little on the road would have caused this. Your dealer should have made an effort on your behalf to get some help from Jackson Center.

My original response was this is an easy do-it-yourself fix, but its worth elevating the problem to Airstream Customer Service. If they don't make it right, the dealer will probably charge you for at least an hour of labor to replace it (plus the cost of the window) which you could easily do and avoid a $100 or so repair bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
there have been reported issues of improperly adjusted windows shattering. you might want to try calling jackson center and explaining your situation.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Thanks all for your help. And thanks Wolverine for the suggestion to call Jackson Center. I'm hoping we can get this covered under warranty.

If not, I'm going to wait and see how much the dealership quotes us, then go from there.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
If your Airstream is covered on a rider on your auto policy, and you have glass coverage, it's possible that your insurance may cover the broken window. The policy on our tow vehicle says that all coverage on our pickup extends to our Bambi, and glass coverage (with no deductible) must be offered in Arizona (I think we pay $11 extra, every six months). So, while I am not absolutely sure, I think a broken window on our Airstream would be covered. Therefore, you might want to check with your insurance company...
Old 05-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
We left the bedroom window unlatched after hooking up on our way West last Fall. When we pulled in to fuel I noticed the two arms hanging loose. We covered the opening with some cardboard and a liberal application of duct tape, called the AS dealer near Phoenix and arranged an appointment for the fix while we were at convention at the Biltmore. Picked her up on Saturday and rolled on. They did a nice job and were very friendly. Something in the area of $250.00 as I recall.
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Otter View Post
We left the bedroom window unlatched after hooking up on our way West last Fall. When we pulled in to fuel I noticed the two arms hanging loose. We covered the opening with some cardboard and a liberal application of duct tape, called the AS dealer near Phoenix and arranged an appointment for the fix while we were at convention at the Biltmore. Picked her up on Saturday and rolled on. They did a nice job and were very friendly. Something in the area of $250.00 as I recall.
Great information. I'm curious, when did this happen? $250 sounds much better than the $483 the Airstream dealership just quoted us! Plus, it's going to take 3 weeks!

$483!! for a window! Wow!
Old 05-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
I just checked Inland RV for prices. Windows are in the $200ish range for the size I suspect you need. It can't be too much more than an hour of shop time. Measure you window, call Inland and see what it would take. I would do the install myself if I were you. PM sent.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
It happened last October. We pulled from Virginia to Arizona. Because we had about a week of meetings in Phoenix we could drop the Otter at the shop and come back to get her later. Between the time/place I discovered my sillyness and the day we arrived in Phoenix the shop had called JC, got the window shipped, and were ready to go to work. They had it done the same afternoon but kindly stored it on their lot until we could start home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2play View Post
Great information. I'm curious, when did this happen? $250 sounds much better than the $483 the Airstream dealership just quoted us! Plus, it's going to take 3 weeks!

$483!! for a window! Wow!
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
I just called Airstream in Ohio and they are going to cover the window!! It's not normally covered under warranty, but as a gesture of goodwill, they agreed to cover it. I explained it was our first trip, first time buyer, etc etc. and they came through.

I am so impressed with Airstream customer service. The guy I talked to was very friendly, professional and very nice.

Whew! I feel so much better now.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
Congratulations on getting this issue resolved. Airstream customer service seems to be very responsive, particularly with a brand new customer. This is a good news, bad news story though. Shame on your dealer for not even making an effort on your behalf to get the factory to make it right. On top of that, they gave you a highball estimate of the repair costs to enrich their profits. Lesson learned--if the factory had not offered to make it right, you would have been money ahead to do your own repairs and save that high cost of a very simple replacement.

You did exactly the right thing when you brought this issue to Air Forums. There are lots of good answers and help from fellow Airstreamers that will save you money. I mentioned that I had broken one of my windows in a bridge accident. I got a dealer estimate to repair the window and replace the awning bracket for nearly $1500. I checked the cost of the parts from Zip Dee awning and Inland RV (for the window.) Both were relatively simple repairs, the parts cost me $575 and when I finished it was good as new saving $975.

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2play View Post
I just called Airstream in Ohio and they are going to cover the window!! It's not normally covered under warranty, but as a gesture of goodwill, they agreed to cover it. I explained it was our first trip, first time buyer, etc etc. and they came through.

I am so impressed with Airstream customer service. The guy I talked to was very friendly, professional and very nice.

Whew! I feel so much better now.