Old 07-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #1

1974 29' Ambassador
Matthews , North Carolina
Should I Drill Weep Holes?

Hi folks,

We have a beautiful '74 Ambassador that has several window leaks. I feel sure that the leaks are the result of the original seals being flattened over time. I have tried tightening the latches to no avail. The water gets past the seal and collects in the frame until it reaches the height of the latch mechanism at which point it leaks into the interior via the latch. I was wondering if drilling one or two tiny weep holes from the outside and into the window frame would be a decent way to stop the water from pooling up inside. I really don't want to have to replace all my window seals right now. BTW, how hard is it to replace these seals and what about the cost for materials?

Old 07-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADSTR6 View Post
Hi folks,

We have a beautiful '74 Ambassador that has several window leaks. I feel sure that the leaks are the result of the original seals being flattened over time. I have tried tightening the latches to no avail. The water gets past the seal and collects in the frame until it reaches the height of the latch mechanism at which point it leaks into the interior via the latch. I was wondering if drilling one or two tiny weep holes from the outside and into the window frame would be a decent way to stop the water from pooling up inside. I really don't want to have to replace all my window seals right now. BTW, how hard is it to replace these seals and what about the cost for materials?
Before drilling weep holes, you might try restoring the window seals. Heat them (direct sun works fine for that) and while they're warm, rub them with glycerin. Rubber compounds wear out over time because the oils contained in the rubber evaporate out; glycerin is an adequate replacement for those oils.

And if restoring the existing seals doesn't work, replacement or weep holes are still options.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Contact Inland Andy and I'm sure he'll be able to supply you with replacement seals:

Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations

I know that some people will say that if the seals are working you don't need weep holes. I added weep holes to mine because I'm a strong believer in redundancy. Especially when it comes to keeping water out of my trailer.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
30 years old seals are simply just bad because of age, you can buy new seals from Out of Doors or Vintage Trailer Supplies. Out of Doors has a 50ft roll for $36.95.

Gasket D Seal 50 ft. Roll 38-0064 [381665] - $36.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

Damon
Old 07-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
ROADSTR6

Before you drill any weep holes or replace the window seals I would suggest you check for small gaps where the rubber gaskets are glued together at the corners of the leaking windows.

I had a large leak in the Center Panoramic Window of my trailer. The leaking water filled the lower channel between the window screen and the window glass. The water then over flowed through the window latches and ran down the interior wall and soaked the mattress. The problem was caused by small gaps where the Upper and Lower gaskets were glued to Road Side gasket. By chance I found the source of the leak by sitting in the trailer on a rainy day and unlatching the window without opening it, and to my amazement the water stopped filling the lower channel. The RV tech that fixed it for me used a black rubber product made by the 3M Company. After the gaps were filled no more leak.

20' 2008 Safari SE, Dill TPMS Silver Dog House
2007 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra ARE Cap
AIR # 10494
reddogfox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
I had the same problem and found that water was running around and then under the ends of the gutter channels. It would then leak from the top of the window into the inside space between window and screen. Putting a little dab of gray caulk on the underneath ends of the gutter channel stopped my problem.

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #7

1974 29' Ambassador
Matthews , North Carolina
Great info! I will check out the seals and gutter ends before I drill.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Ok this NOT the best way to do it, but if your short on time or don't feel brave enough to pull the windows this is an option. It is the peel and stick D seal.

I did not use the glue, but they appear to be working. We have had rain every day and they are still dry. Rainy season started here and I wanted something done, but did not have the time pull the windows out of the tracks, clean and then glue on new gaskets. It took about 40 mins to do 7 windows. I have pulled one before and it was really really really hard to get it back in the track.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2269512381.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	189878  
Old 07-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
+1 Replace the seals

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote