Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2011, 05:26 AM   #1

2012 25' Flying Cloud
fayetteville , Arkansas
Shattered windows

while in route to a campground, we noticed that one of the curved windows in the front had broken completely out with shards of glass left in the frame. within 30 minutes the other side did the same. we thought it possible that a rock caught one of them, but both within 30 minutes seemed unlikely. any ideas on what might have caused this or was it just a coincidence? thanks
dachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:32 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If it wasn't rocks, the windows were put under stress of some kind. There are things to check, such as the WD bar capacity and how tight they were, condition of the frame, type of tow vehicle, tires on tow vehicle and trailer, even the road surface.
You can still get those windows from any Airstream dealer, and I think I would invest in a rock guard to minimize the chance of a rock causing the problem.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachie View Post
while in route to a campground, we noticed that one of the curved windows in the front had broken completely out with shards of glass left in the frame. within 30 minutes the other side did the same. we thought it possible that a rock caught one of them, but both within 30 minutes seemed unlikely. any ideas on what might have caused this or was it just a coincidence? thanks
That was not your lucky day.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Check the integrity of the frame.. I delivered a 69 globetrotter from Indiana to California a number of years ago and had 4 windows shatter as you described, .

The problem turned out to be that water run off from the rear of the trailer had rusted through the frame forward of the rear bumper where the frame passes thru the banana wrap.
The frame broke on the right side at this point and the hanging weight put a twisting stress on the body. Over the course of 2 thousand miles I lost the right side window and both front "wing" windows and finally the center front window.
I would try bouncing or lifting on the rear bumper and if it is this problem it will show up.

I know the trailer was successfully repaired, possibly by Inland as it was delivered in that area and I suggested they talk to Andy.

All things considered, the owner took things pretty well in stride considering I showed up with his "new" trailer covered with plastic and duct tape.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Being a '70's trailer - Rick's feeback sounds like a good ideal to check....
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #6

2012 25' Flying Cloud
fayetteville , Arkansas
thanks for all the suggestions. i will check the rear frame immediately. i have already ordered replacement windows and a rock guard, but given the expense, don't want to buy the windows again. thanks again
dachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
The same thing happened to my previous 69 AS. both windows broke while driving down the highway on the same day. Rear bath and rear frame problems, Once that was fixed and the replacement windows installed no more problems. As I remember the replacement windows were not glass but are made of plastic type material.

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
The nice thing here is that unlike some folks who won RV's and might have these issues, we repair our Airstreams...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
On the way home from Iron City, the front center window shattered on the Minuet. Hit by a stone kicked up from the road. Thankfully it was the flat piece of glass. I have ordered and will pick up this afternoon a piece of 3/16th inch thick Lexan for replacement. Tempered glass would have been cheaper but Lexan will not break.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
On the way home from Iron City, the front center window shattered on the Minuet. Hit by a stone kicked up from the road. Thankfully it was the flat piece of glass. I have ordered and will pick up this afternoon a piece of 3/16th inch thick Lexan for replacement. Tempered glass would have been cheaper but Lexan will not break.
Janet here on the forums installed a modified 3 piece rock guard for a newer Airstream on her Minuet. It looks good, and with the price of those front panorama windows being what they are, would be a wise investment.IIRC, she wroye an article on how to do it, and posted it in the Airstrwam Central area of the forums.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tacoma , Washington
Send a message via Skype™ to purdytj
Greetings all,
I was researching how to repair my curb side broken wing window (exterior piece of glass only) and came along this thread.

I have purchased a '74 Sovereign from here in Iowa and all of the rear frame crossmember has rusted through. It is gone. Is there a repair that is possible without having to put on an entirely new frame (read: shell-off restoration)?!? It 'appears' that the suggested repair to prevent rear sag has been done on the long frame beams that go from front to back: the repair that I've read causes the rear frame to separate from the shell. I believe this repair has been done because of the exterior segment patching that I've seen down low in that area near the long frame beams (near where they extend out for the bumper to attach). I've already replaced much of the rotten sub floor back there on the interior.

Thanks for the wisdom!
T.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
Check the integrity of the frame.. I delivered a 69 globetrotter from Indiana to California a number of years ago and had 4 windows shatter as you described, .

The problem turned out to be that water run off from the rear of the trailer had rusted through the frame forward of the rear bumper where the frame passes thru the banana wrap.
The frame broke on the right side at this point and the hanging weight put a twisting stress on the body. Over the course of 2 thousand miles I lost the right side window and both front "wing" windows and finally the center front window.
I would try bouncing or lifting on the rear bumper and if it is this problem it will show up.

I know the trailer was successfully repaired, possibly by Inland as it was delivered in that area and I suggested they talk to Andy.

All things considered, the owner took things pretty well in stride considering I showed up with his "new" trailer covered with plastic and duct tape.

RIP (https://purdygreatlife.weebly.com/2014-blog):
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 QC-LB 4x4 12-valve
1974 Airstream Sovereign
purdytj is offline   Reply With Quote