Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Collettsville , North Carolina
Screen PAIN!

I am having a hard time installing new screens in my Argosy. I bought the aluminum screen, the .125 spline and a spline tool. I dont know what I am doing wrong but it is a hard job for me. I have read on here where it was easy. Should I have gotten a different material screen or is there a smaller size spline? I even lubricated the slots with WD-40. Any suggestions?
mtnman
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman
I am having a hard time installing new screens in my Argosy. I bought the aluminum screen, the .125 spline and a spline tool. I dont know what I am doing wrong but it is a hard job for me. I have read on here where it was easy. Should I have gotten a different material screen or is there a smaller size spline? I even lubricated the slots with WD-40. Any suggestions?
mtnman
mtnman,
First problem is the aluminum wire, factory screens were fiberglass and I have found it is easier to install them with the frames mounted to the trailer. You can do them flat but the results will be interesting.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:10 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Head on over to Home Depot or your local Airstream Dealer. You need to ask for fiberglass screen. Airstream used to have it in white but not anymore. It is silver or black now.

Now it will be easy to do!!
Old 02-24-2006, 10:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Rember not to talk throught your screen. It will strain your voice.
Good luck with your project.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 06:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Please no WD-40 in the track you'll end up with a black gooey mess. There is a new- no tear- screen fabric which you can get at Tru Valu, Ace or any other good hardware store. It is light enough to fit easily into the smaller track and will not tear. This fabric is great on screen doors since it will take abuse from many small hand and even big fingers. Your local Tru Valu will cut exactly the amount you need and unlike the big box retailer you will not have to buy a 1000' roll.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:47 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Collettsville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
mtnman,
First problem is the aluminum wire, factory screens were fiberglass and I have found it is easier to install them with the frames mounted to the trailer. You can do them flat but the results will be interesting.

Aaron
OK, I did not realize it was fiberglass. All I know is it is hard to put the aluminum in. I ripped out all the old screens and have already replaced 3 with the aluminum. I will go back and get the fiberglass screen for the 5 remaining screens. I did know not to take the windows out. Thanks for your help.
mtnman
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
The screens are hard to spline because they are curved, at least mine are. If yours are, you can put new screen mesh in by using a piece of wood that you cut to the profile of the curve. Make two of these and then put them under the curved sides of the screen when you are doing the splining. This will give support to the screen and you won't bend it flat. I don't actually have any idea how you would redo the screens with them attached. I recommend taking them off. But see what works for you.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote