Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
Rock guard for rear wrap windows

For others that have rear wrap windows, do you use a rock guard or is there less likelihood of damage of these windows (Vs the front)?
Old 02-17-2019, 02:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
We run our 27FB just like it rolled off the assembly line (except for switching to 16” Wheels & Michelin LT Tires). So far no damage to any windows.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:42 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
I would argue that the threat of rock/road debris damage to the rear wrapped windows is greatly minimized VS. the fronts, strictly because they're in the back. (and also relatively far from the rear axel/s. That being said, they DO wrap around the sides, so there's that to "worry" about!
The front wrapped windows (I have both) THAT is another story. If your traveling without those protectors, you're tempting fate. Regardless of whether or not your window is covered by any type of insurance, it will never break until you're 200 miles from nowhere and it's raining, and you're on a muddy dirt road, and ......
Well, you know how fate works!
Yup, many don't use or even like them. personal choices.
We don't travel much but, in the last 5 years our protectors have "saved" our glass multiple times...a few of which were powerful enough to break/crack the protector plexiglass itself. Makes me wonder what might have happened IF I ever removed them (I've been tempted to before)
For the record, we also use Rock Guards behind the truck to minimize the damage as well.....

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote