Old 10-31-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Hope , New Jersey
Right front panoramic windowleaks

I have a recently purchased 1993 Excella. I just washed it went in the AS and found water was inside the front. It appears that the water came in from the top of the window. It is aonly on one side of the panoramic windows. I inspect the window and discover that the PO silicon the inside of it. The AS has rock guard panels and a 3 piece panornamic rock guard for the window. The leakis coming from the top closest to the center panel. Can it be the hinges of the center rock guard or do I have to replace the windows. The way the windows are installed makes me think the source of the leak is not at the window but could be above or where the hinges for the rockguard are attached. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deairstream View Post
I have a recently purchased 1993 Excella. I just washed it went in the AS and found water was inside the front. It appears that the water came in from the top of the window. It is aonly on one side of the panoramic windows. I inspect the window and discover that the PO silicon the inside of it. The AS has rock guard panels and a 3 piece panornamic rock guard for the window. The leakis coming from the top closest to the center panel. Can it be the hinges of the center rock guard or do I have to replace the windows. The way the windows are installed makes me think the source of the leak is not at the window but could be above or where the hinges for the rockguard are attached. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Seal the entire "wrap windows" with Parbond, on the outside of the metal frame (sash).

Seal the gasket that's between the glass and metal frame, with a small bead of vulkem sealer, so that the sealer is ever so slightly on the glass and sash.

You should do that on both wrap windows.

You might also remove the center section of the 3 piece rockguard, and reseal the hinge with the vulkem sealer.

Hopefully there is no silicone sealer on the outside. If there is, then every trace of it must be removed. If not, the new sealers will not properly bond.

If you still have a leak, remove the clearance lights and seal those as well.

Andy

Old 10-31-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
I found a leak like that was coming from the screws that hold the centre rock guard. Back off the screws and look for rust on the ends, a sure sign of a leak.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:46 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Hope , New Jersey
Thank You
I suspected that. two screws on the right side were lose. I removed them but no rust. There is silicon on the out side of one window. What is the vest way to remove it without damageing the tint on the window.\?
Can I use the par bond aas a seal between the frame and the window with a little bite on the window? What is the difference between the valukin and the par bond?
Old 11-02-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deairstream View Post
Thank You
I suspected that. two screws on the right side were lose. I removed them but no rust. There is silicon on the out side of one window. What is the vest way to remove it without damageing the tint on the window.\?
Can I use the par bond aas a seal between the frame and the window with a little bite on the window? What is the difference between the valukin and the par bond?
Parbond is a smooth this sealer. Not good for an area subject to vibration.

Vulkem is a heavier high fiberous sealer. Very good for an area subject to vibration.

Andy