Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2003, 09:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Question resealing windows

We have water between the panes of glass of one of our front windows. Has anyone taken their windows out and resealed them? Also our vista view windows have white flaky substance between the panes also.. The windows of our trailer will be our big project.. anyone have an idea of cost to have done.. ? Nothing is leaking now but don't want to take a chance . This forum is great.. Thank to all for information for us newcomers to Airstream.. we have searched for a year before we found ours..
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 06:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Annie,

The front windows? Are you talking about the smaller somewhat curved fixed wing windows on either side of the main operable front window, directly behind the propane tanks? If so they can be drained by drilling holes into the bottom mouldings but it must be done correctly and carefully or you will end up buying new windows. I was able to get mine drained but was not happy with all the trash and scum left between the panes so I ended up pulling them, removing the inner panes and resealing and reinstalling them. As far as your vistaviews go just do a search here and you will find much discussion, hopefully it will answer more of your questions. If not just ask away!

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 06:53 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
West Hartford , Connecticut
I have the exact same problem in my curved front windows. I had little holes drilled just like Chas suggested. Worked great the first summer. I was not pleased to see the problem back the next year as soon as we were parked out in our sunny campsite. However, a trusty toothpick did the job of reopening the little holes.
beachmpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 06:56 AM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
more info, por favor, on the "little holes"? anyone got a picture, or a description of how to do this? I have the same condensation problem on my front windows (the curved ones).

I've seen lots of discussion on the "vista-views", but never anything about this.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 07:28 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
West Hartford , Connecticut
I have three holes across the bottom. Here is a picture of one. (I hope, I'm new at this - I attached a picture file)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windowholes.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	2361  
beachmpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 08:46 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

I JUST redid all five vista views on my 73 31'. I took pictures of all steps involved, but I am having problems downloading to my computer with my digital camera. I will try again this weekend to get them reloaded.

It took a while (2 days), but was definitely worth it. It was also an easy fix.

Tripp
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 08:52 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Forgot to mention that I also removed the inner front thermo"pain" glass as well. Didn't take pictures, but its easy too. I just taped up the entire glass panel(to prevent pieces from going everywhere) and took a spring loaded center punch set on about medium and "dimpled" the glass in the same spot until-BOOM! It breaks into about a million pieces. Also, tape a plastic or paper bag under the window to catch everything.

It appears that the inner pane could also be removed by removing the screws from around the frame, but mine were rusted and COVERED in vulkem, so I just broke the pane.

My outer frame also had the holes drilled in the bottom. I just filled them with parbond after I was done.

Tripp
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 07:04 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
In 1972 I was 8 years old and remember when we bought a then brand new Overlander (27'). On our very first outing, it rained and I remember walking into the trailer and looking up at the Vista View window and seeing about a half inch of water. There was also about the same amount in both wing windows on the front. Brand new trailer! The windows reminded me of fishtanks!

We took the trailer back to the dealer and had at least 3 replacements of these windows (one mysteriously never leaked!). Finally, Airstream, or the dealers gave up and that's when the hole drilling solution was used. This resulted in no more water, but it was continually cloudy--at least in this midwestern humidity! My 1972 service manual has a description of exactly how to drill these holes.

A few years later, Airstream owners figured out the perfect solution. Knock out the inner pane of glass on the front wing windows. My Dad did that and it was goodbye foggy windows forever. I can't remember if he tackled the vista view or not. It did get the hold drilled to drain, but never had the inner pane removed IIRC.
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 06:38 AM   #9
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
. I just taped up the entire glass panel(to prevent pieces from going everywhere) and took a spring loaded center punch set on about medium and "dimpled" the glass in the same spot until-BOOM! It breaks into about a million pieces. Also, tape a plastic or paper bag under the window to catch everything.

The tape is a great idea Tripp.
I've been staring down my front corner windows for a couple of days now. Didn't quite have the courage to just bust them as I figured the little pieces would go flying Everywhere.
But your tape idea has me convinced it's time to get the center punch out and say goodbye to the foggy windows.
I did fix my 2 vista views and the front openable thermopane so far. Sure is a lot nicer to actually be able to see out of them.
Thanks for the tip.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote