Old 03-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Red,
Did you have enough with the 3 and 2 rolls of polyshim? Too much? Just ordering now and want to get a right amount.
Thanks,
Cheryl

Old 03-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #44
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Cheryl, Still healing from the surgery. Am FINALLY getting use of my arm back, but the doc says it'll take about a year to get 100%. Hoping I can get back to work on small stuff like the windows in a month or so... Was just out sitting in my 'Stream yesterday, wishing it was ready for the beach.
-Red

Old 03-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Oh gosh ~ so sorry to hear you are still laid up but I can totally understand that. Just behave and follow doctor's orders so you will eventually be ready to enjoy again. Don't overdo it!

So appreciating your "instructions" on the windows. I'll be starting mine this week awaiting the polyshim. Hoping I don't break anything (thinking of the windows and not a body part but who knows

The best to you!
Old 04-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #46
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Cheryl, did you get to those windows? How'd everything go?
-Red
Old 04-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Well, not exactly. I got the supplies and tools but other projects keep interrupting me. I have been putting down the Allure flooring and new toilet. Every time I see them I say (to somebody) "Somebody ought to clean these windows" So far, no takers! How is that shoulder???
Thanks for asking. I'll keep you updated.
Cheryl
Old 06-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Yukon , Oklahoma
Why did you use polyshimm vs 440. The local glazing contractor says that it is more common to use.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #49
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
440 doesn't have the built in shim that polyshim has. It will work fine in a situation where there isn't constant flexing and compressing/decompressing of the glazing material, such as in a house. But in a camper, with the windows flexing continuously, you need a solid material in the glazing to keep it from over compressing.

I tried straight up butyl glazing tape on the first window I did... try it for yourself, and you can re-do it like I did. The majority of the information I posted in this thread was simply consolidated from other threads. I just wanted to put it in a single thread with pictures to help others out. There are probably a thousand other ways to seal these windows, I just know that this way worked for me, and wanted to give others a single instructive thread on what I did.

I just re-read my post, and I might have come off a bit grumpy... sorry, I haven't finished my second cup of Joe yet. My post's are much more light hearted after a few adult beverages in the afternoon...
-Red
Old 06-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
THIS will make you grumpy!

Just an update, Red. Found that my windows are the newer style from yours - with the snap ring riveted. On the first one I looked at, it appeared the ring was as depicted in your excellent posts, and even loose - but then I looked at the other side and it is definitely the newer style. So, I have all the polyshim (both sizes) and everything else I need, including the ABs. In fact, I think I'll break out a Moose Drool or Cold Smoke later on today, and, once again, think about just how I can break that inner glass, clean and replace it....

But, if it goes like last time, as I drain the bottle the windows will likely go back to the bottom of my to-do list.
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #51
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilnH2o View Post
But, if it goes like last time, as I drain the bottle the windows will likely go back to the bottom of my to-do list.
Hey! I have that exact same issue...

This might be a stupid question, but is "Moose Drool" a real beer? I have GOT to try a beer named "Moose Drool"...

Just found it on Google... AWESOMENESS!
Wonder if they'll ship it...

Best to you with those windows!

-Red
Old 06-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
It is a great beer! Nice, dark, brewed right here. And, pretty wide distribution. An even better one, if you like dark beer is Cold Smoke, named after the fine, dry powder skiing from the Bridger Bowl ski area in Bozeman: "so light and dry it's like cold smoke...." (the snow, not the beer)

I hope this is pertinent to the stacks/vista-views discussion...
TAC
TCT
Old 06-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #53
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Pertinent? It's CRITICAL to the discussion of stacks/vista-views! To try and re-seal them without the consumption of the adult beverage of your choice is pure folly!
You are doing the Airstream community a great service by participating in this timely and important discussion!

-Red, who has a tendency to exagerate a smidge...
Old 06-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Pertinent? It's CRITICAL to the discussion of stacks/vista-views! To try and re-seal them without the consumption of the adult beverage of your choice is pure folly!
You are doing the Airstream community a great service by participating in this timely and important discussion!

-Red, who has a tendency to exagerate a smidge...
You are too kind... and since I have the post-'75 windows, we also serve who sip and watch...

Oh, wait - "ex-aAA-ger-ate..." Now I get it...
TAC
TCT
Old 06-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #55
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Yucca , Arizona
Sometimes my speed reading causes me to miss answers that have been addressed. So, Red did you retint the back/inside of your glass? Thanks Terry
Old 06-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #56
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Hey Terry! No, you didn't miss it. I don't think I addressed it... I didn't re-tint. Thought about it, but then thought, "When this tint bubbles (and it will), I'll have to disassemble it all and do the whole process all over." None of my other campers I've owned in the past have had tinted windows. Don't see the need for it now... unless I'm missing something. We usually camp at the beach (my favorite place in the world) and I like my camper nice and bright on the inside.
-Red

Tags
sovereign