Old 03-10-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Dade City , Florida
Replacing windows with Lexan

I need to replace the front curved road side window on a 21 foot 1969 Globetrotter. Does anyone have experience with using Lexan for this type of replacemernt? What thickness will I need? The windows "appear" to be removeable from the inside by removing the inside moulding trim. Is this right? Will very much appreciate any help on this. Thank you.

dbaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
That is a common repair but you will need to get a hardened Lexan as the stuff sold in the Box stores is very soft and scratches easily. I did the opposite as I removed the lexan and replaced with glass. The 69 is an odd duck as far as wing windows are concerned. The 69 was the only year that had the lower outboard corner of the window squared off, 70 and on had that corner radiused. My replacement starts at page 11 post 142 on the below thread. I removed 1/8" lexan The complete frame needs to be removed for this repair.

You might also check out this thread

Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I replaced the plastic windows on my 68 Trade Wind with glass. As far as I know, Inland is the only source of the curved glass at this time. It was expensive, but no more leaks.
Not a hard job, but some PO had used epoxy or something to install the plastic into the window frame. The aluminum extrusions are soft and can bend if you are not careful. The final solution to getting the frame apart was a heat gun, it softened the epoxy and allowed the frame pieces to come apart to free the glass. Take your time cleaning the window frame. You don't need a lot of gasket adhesive if you really get the frames clean. The best way I found to clean the old adhesive was to use a scotch-brite buff in my Dremel tool. HD or Lowes has them and it really does a great job cleaning the edges of the frame where the gasket goes.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I used the 1/8 Lexan from Lowes it is directional and can be put in backwards so be sure to follow the "this side out" directions.

I don't know on the 21ft but on mine the entire window had to come out 52 rivets removed and replaced. The rivet holes are unique to each AS so if you should buy a new window complete you will have to drill all new holes.

Not a really hard job but kind of a PITA to get the gasket and window back together. On mine the frame pulls apart and has pins where the window comes apart.
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
1950 Flying Cloud 7039
1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
I too am using Lexan (from a box store). I have found that you can cut Lexan where you have a hard time with traditional plexi. I have single strength windows. I started using glas but have found it hard. One window I did have as glass I just broke by putting too much pressure on one of the levers. Glass is good, but depending on your windows, can be hard to maintain.
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote