Old 01-05-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Replacing windows 2011 flying cloud 27'

Ok, simple question.
How hard is it to replace the bedroom side window and the entrance door window for my 27ft flying cloud trailer. An individual broke into my trailer on new year day and broke both glasses... nothing was stolen however the windows and screens were broken/tore. My trailer was at a storage place, and the robbers damaged a total of 13 trailers including mine...
My insurance and my deductive are taking care of the damage this low life's did, BTW one robber was capture. I got a quote for $2500 to have the trailer repair, the parts cost around $1000 and labor/taxes constitute the rest. Is it hard to replace windows, or can a regular handy person do the job. Checkout the photos...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2901953133.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	437.0 KB
ID:	175942   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1470822011.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	362.3 KB
ID:	175943  

Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Sorry thishappened to you.

Just wait for Andy to chime in.

Dan

Old 01-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
I can't speak for the door window, but I did replace the rear window. I found it to be fairly easy. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norberto View Post
Ok, simple question.
How hard is it to replace the bedroom side window and the entrance door window for my 27ft flying cloud trailer. An individual broke into my trailer on new year day and broke both glasses... nothing was stolen however the windows and screens were broken/tore. My trailer was at a storage place, and the robbers damaged a total of 13 trailers including mine...
My insurance and my deductive are taking care of the damage this low life's did, BTW one robber was capture. I got a quote for $2500 to have the trailer repair, the parts cost around $1000 and labor/taxes constitute the rest. Is it hard to replace windows, or can a regular handy person do the job. Checkout the photos...
The entrance door window is riveted to the door.

It will take about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to replace.

Material needed are one tube of Vulkem sealer, a package of Olympic rivets (without washers), and of course the window. There could be a possible delay in getting that window.

The opening window takes less than 10 minutes to replace, including putting the lift arms back on.

Then of course you must consider the "after the fact celebration".

That could take an hour or so, depending on how many 6 packs you previously bought.

Andy
Old 01-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Ok, simple question.
Sorry, but that quote is beyond ridiculus, if it's for the 2 windows only.

You can replace those windows as easy as pie.

Andy
Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Thank you Andy,
it sound easy, I hope it is. I finally got the part and I am going to give it a try this weekend and see if I can do the job. Now, I notice that the back of the door window has screws, see photo, I wonder if it will be easy just to install the glass through the back. The glass that came from the company comes together with the metal frame ready to be installed from the front, however I am wondering if it is possible to remove the glass and install it from the back. Any thoughts?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
back of door

the back of door photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0298.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	177249  
Old 01-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thank you Andy,
it sound easy, I hope it is. I finally got the part and I am going to give it a try this weekend and see if I can do the job. Now, I notice that the back of the door window has screws, see photo, I wonder if it will be easy just to install the glass through the back. The glass that came from the company comes together with the metal frame ready to be installed from the front, however I am wondering if it is possible to remove the glass and install it from the back. Any thoughts?
I don't know what part you received.

Door windows that have a metal frame, are riveted into the door.

Andy
Old 01-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
I'm going ahead and rivet it myself, now you mentioned I needed Olympic rivets, what size for door window. I'm putting an order for the rivets, drill bit #20, heavy duty riveter, and shaver tool for Olympic rivets. I am missing anything else?
Old 01-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I'm going ahead and rivet it myself, now you mentioned I needed Olympic rivets, what size for door window. I'm putting an order for the rivets, drill bit #20, heavy duty riveter, and shaver tool for Olympic rivets. I am missing anything else?
Yes, your missing # 21 drill bits.

Using the # 20 is a good way to encourage water leaks.

Also, use Vulkem sealer on the back side of the glass "sash".

Andy
Old 03-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Fremont , California
Greetings.
I have a similar problem, but I want to change out the opaque glass for some clear, tinted, UV-stabilized Lexan. I've followed all the riveting (un-riveting and re-riveting) details and taken notes about the rivets and tools. My question is, once I get the frame out, what is the technique for separating the frame parts (inside and out) from the existing glass? The objective is to preserve the frame parts so I can re-assemble it with the clear Lexan in the old frame. Thus, I need to avoid ruining the old frame during the glass-extraction. I could pay someone else to do it, but where's the fun in that? I have a 2011, 20-foot Flying Cloud.
The glass is dead flat in the fore-and-aft direction and only curved in the bottom-to-top direction, and not by much, so the Lexan ought to go in OK.
Thanks
Jim Light
Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Fremont , California
Smile How to replace opaque door glass with clear.

Ok, I've solved my own problem.

After posting the question and talking to Airstream, my dealer, and InlandRV, no one could actually tell me how this worked, so I ordered a new door window from the local dealer for about $300 and had them send it to me. (In case I ruined it making the change.) I took it apart and put in a piece of matching smoked polycarbonite (Use Lexan MR 10 or Makrolon AR. Even Acrylic is stronger than the glass.)

The frame is a single piece of aluminum extrusion bent around the glass. It's a complex shape with a channel for the glass, flat on the outside, and with a hollow space in its interior. There is a split at the bottom with a small aluminum bar inside the hollow. there are two little screws through the frame into the little bar that holds the split together. the glass is bedded into a rubber grommet that slips over the glass and fits tightly into the channel in the frame.

Basically you just pull the frame apart at the split until you can work the glass out. Peel off the rubber grommet, put it on the new piece, and then reverse the process to put it back together. I used large rubber-footed furniture clamps to squeeze it back together. You have to grunt a little. It's awkward, but you can do it. You don't need to break the glass or have a temper tantrum, and the frame still looks like new.

If I was a riveter, I could have just taken the existing one out of the door, replaced the opaque glass with clear, and riveted it back in. But I'm not, so I'm taking it to the dealer to have them swap in the new one.

I think I'll teach myself how to do nice rivets.

Dealers are probably reluctant to replace tried and true Airstream parts with alternate materials.
Now I can sit inside and see out the starboard side of my little 20-foot Flying Cloud.