Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2005, 03:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Replacing Window Screen on 1954 Liner

I need to replace the screens on my 54 liner. Unlike my 1962 which has removeable screens, the 54 has the screens attached to the frames. Does one have any instructoins on how to actually replace the screens on the earily 50's windows? In specific, how to you attach the screen material in the narrow slot in the frame? Do you need a special tool?

Kevin
Lookinghard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 07:44 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1981 22' Excella II
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Colbert , Georgia
I had the same problem with my 55 safari windows...just replaced two screens. If yours looked like mine...I think they put the screens in place before installing the whole window..there are to many rivits to remove from my way of thinking(other problems, ie. leaking, etc.). So I took out the old screen and found it was just bunched up in the groove of the screen frame. I used an L shape flat tool that was small enough to help force enough screen material into the groove. Cut the screen a little bigger than you think because a lot of screen can be forced into that groove. You may have to trim some of it with a razor blade after the fit..Start with the long side first, top and bottom...then the shorter sides...it worked for me. Hope you can work it out.

Levon
Levon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
In specific, how to you attach the screen material in the narrow slot in the frame? Do you need a special tool?
This is a project that will return much satisfaction to you each time you look out the window.
Replacing the screens is not a hard job, you will need to purchase a special tool. The tool looks like a pizza cutter with a roller on one or both ends. I recommend that you purchase the cheapest plastic one; it actually will work better for your purpose than the more expensive metal roller.
Next you will need the spline or the rope material that goes into the slot. Take a section of the existing spline to your hardware store for the exact size. If you are fortunate to have a good local hardware store you may be able to bring in a window frame, it is best to remove them, and someone at the store will show you how to put the screen fabric on. Give them the measurements of your windows and they will cut the screen fabric for you.
You will find several good threads here on which type of screen fabric to use. Do a search under window screens. Also if you do a google search on replacing window screens you will find step by step instructions. This is the same process as used by a homeowner with an aluminum storm window.
Good luck, I hope I have been some help.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookinghard
I need to replace the screens on my 54 liner. Unlike my 1962 which has removeable screens, the 54 has the screens attached to the frames. Does one have any instructoins on how to actually replace the screens on the earily 50's windows? In specific, how to you attach the screen material in the narrow slot in the frame? Do you need a special tool?

Kevin
Kevin,

Look here: http://www.vintageairstream.com/floy...n/windows.html

Looking forward to seeing more pictures and the Liner in person.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags