Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2010, 04:43 AM   #1
Clueless but willing

1969 21' Globetrotter
Falmouth , Cornwall
Send a message via Skype™ to mamos
Replacing smashed windows

Hi All

Someone was strimming the grass around our airstream the other day and managed to smash not one but two windows

Luckily they were opening windows so are not too difficult to replace.

To stop this happening again I would like to replace the glass in all the opening windows with some sort of plastic.

We have bee looking into it and there are many types of plastic that can be used but what would you guys recommend.

It would have to be tough, flexible and UV stable

Over to you

mamos
mamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamos View Post
Hi All

Someone was strimming the grass around our airstream the other day and managed to smash not one but two windows

Luckily they were opening windows so are not too difficult to replace.

To stop this happening again I would like to replace the glass in all the opening windows with some sort of plastic.

We have bee looking into it and there are many types of plastic that can be used but what would you guys recommend.

It would have to be tough, flexible and UV stable

Over to you

mamos
Use "Lexan" that's .118 inches thick.

Be extremely careful with the hinges, since the 69 hinges are very different and have been obsolete for 41 years.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:47 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Damn weedwackers...

Hello,

You should speak to ‘Steamhead’ here on the forum, as he recently posted the loss of his ’69 Safari through an auto accident.

He might be able to give you a lead on the insurance company that has his A/S.

Good Luck,
Chris
newsgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
No more weed-eaters for you!
Old 08-28-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
Clueless but willing

1969 21' Globetrotter
Falmouth , Cornwall
Thanks for the replies

Chris, I am based in the UK so it is probably not an option. Also, I do not want to replace the windows with glass as we do not want this to happen again.

Thanks Andy. Is Lexan UV stable. I am also thinking of doing away with the rubber seal so I can fit thicker plastic.

I will bed the plastic in some sort of sealer

Is this a good or bad idea. Keeping the rubber would mean I could only 2mm maybe 3mm lexan. This just seems too thin but I am open to ideas

mamos
Old 08-28-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Yeh I dont know how you were able to break 2. When my lock broke I had to take 7 hard swings with a crow bar to bust out my front tempered glass window. That must be some weed whacker you use over there.....Yeh yeh I know it is all about angle and points of impact but surprising non the less.

Good luck with your project.
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
Clueless but willing

1969 21' Globetrotter
Falmouth , Cornwall
She took out the side window of the truck as well

I don't know either but it happened and now i have to find something to go in the hole

I am loath to put glass back in. Luckily we are in the middle of renovations so there is little in there to get damaged so it could have been worse

mamos
Old 08-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamos View Post
Thanks for the replies

Chris, I am based in the UK so it is probably not an option. Also, I do not want to replace the windows with glass as we do not want this to happen again.

Thanks Andy. Is Lexan UV stable. I am also thinking of doing away with the rubber seal so I can fit thicker plastic.

I will bed the plastic in some sort of sealer

Is this a good or bad idea. Keeping the rubber would mean I could only 2mm maybe 3mm lexan. This just seems too thin but I am open to ideas

mamos
BAD idea.

You cannot get a thicker plastic into the metal frame that would make any difference.

The Lexan material, is the "bullet proof" plastic, depending on it's thickness.
You can beat on Lexan with a hammer and not break it. You may put a dent in it, and that's about it.

If you wish to eliminate the gasket, that's OK, but use "Vulkem" sealer within the metal sash. DO NOT use any form of "silicone sealer".

Be cautioned, that the 2 pieces of aluminum framing (sash) are held together with some small rivets, and, a steel plate. You will find corrosion around that plate which can cause great difficulty putting the two halves of the sash back together.

You will also need some small rivets, that I suggest you obtain "before" you start your project. Those small rivets hold the two sashes together, as well as the hinge reinstallation.

Lastly, make super sure that you do not bend, in any way, the hinge. If you do, you more than likely will not be able to reinstall the window.

Good luck with the task.

Please make a post after completion and let others know how you did.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
There are varying grades of Lexan, some meant for commercial and institutional use can have a "Mar-Guard" coating applied that is nearly as hard and scratch-proof as glass as well as being completely UV protected. Calling around to glazier and commercial window installers could net you the needed sections of the good stuff for about what n over-sized sheet would cost at a big-box home improvement store...
Old 08-28-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I also came across an article about corning glass getting ready to join some company to create in destructable (sp) glass configurations.