Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Omaha , Nebraska
Replacing seals on '64 Safari windows

What is the right type of seal for the job? Mine are almost totally gone so I cant really tell what was there. I need to replace the seal around the door too. What do I get and where do I get it? Does straight rubber weather stripping work?

Thanks,
Olivebranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I want to be honest, you have, in my opinion, the most difficult windows Airstream ever made.
It is a "D" about 1/2" wide. I find the denser stuff made of neoprene to be better than the foam. I buy it by the roll from the supply house, so I cannot tell you where to get it. My first try would be InlandRV. The major issue with your "one year of use" windows is the operators. They have to open and close a lot of weight. Blaine Windows in Hagerstown MD has the operators. They are on the right, but the operator is actually a left unit. If the seal around the glass is needed, it is no longer made. I got lucky and my glass shop is a very old hardware store. They were able to find something covered in dust that fit perfectly.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Omaha , Nebraska
Thanks for the input, what is the right thing to use around the entry door?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivebranch View Post
Thanks for the input, what is the right thing to use around the entry door?
That depends on the door arrangement.

Is the screen door flush with the entrance door or does it stick out about 3/8 inch from the entrance door?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We had a '64 that we sold last year. They aren't as bad as Frank makes them out to be IMO...here's what you need:

Door Gasket = Inland RV Part Part #45295
Windows = Vintage Trailer Supply
1) Hehr Bulb Seal
2) Hallmark 12 Glazing Strip
3) Butyl Glazing Tape
Yes, '64 was a transition year...but the '64 trailers hold a special spot in my heart. I think they have the best of the the 'old' & 'new' post-Wally design...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
What is the right type of seal for the job? Mine are almost totally gone so I cant really tell what was there. I need to replace the seal around the door too. What do I get and where do I get it? Does straight rubber weather stripping work?

Thanks,
Your windows should use the "D" type gasket.

It does a superior job over a longer period than the bulb type gasket.

Andy
Old 04-01-2012, 02:52 AM   #7
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The 1964 windows I worked on used none of those seals. I guess the transition was different for us Shari....
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010759.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	154735
That is the operator I mentioned. It is on the right but is actually a "left" unit. They tend to strip out very easily as only one worked on this Sovereign. The one lifter turns that bar that then lifts both sides of the window. I even bought a couple extra for the client since one stripped after all new ones had been installed.
Perhaps Olivebranch will be lucky and his windows will be the ones Shari had and not the ones I had.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Omaha , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

That depends on the door arrangement.

Is the screen door flush with the entrance door or does it stick out about 3/8 inch from the entrance door?

Andy
My screen door is flush.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4063592224.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	477.8 KB
ID:	154752

Thanks for all the help. Andy, do you have the"d" gaskets as well as the stripping for the door?
Old 04-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
The 1964 windows I worked on used none of those seals. I guess the transition was different for us Shari....
Must have to do with the CA vs OH built trailers. The operator you show in your pic is what we had on ONLY the rear window...I forgot, that one was differnt than the rest.

You're right Frank, if all the windows had that "rod mechanism" that would be different. It seemed our back window was more inclined to get out of square than the rest with the plain lever arm Hehr cranks we had on the rest of the windows - that and there wasn't a locking handle "catch" to keep it tight. The other 5 windows had the cranks & locks...those are the ones that I was talking about.

Then there are the jalousie windows (shown in Olive's pic) which are a completely different animal altogether!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Shari 1964 was avery odd year. There was that 1962 study of the differences between Ohio and Cali and an attempt to standardize in 1963. Then in 1964 it was the year of "who's the boss, how do we carry on without Wally". Lots of trials and lots of errors. The 1964 I dealt with was one of those serious trials when it came to windows. I am glad you did not have 7 of those to deal with. Reglazing was a serious challenge due to the gasket between the very thick, laminated safety glass and the frame. I got very lucky that my glass guy had some obsolete gasket on the shelf. Donny said they almost threw it out during a clean out. Now jalousies, those things I love. VTS has all the parts and they are a blast to make work again.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
My screen door is flush.

Attachment 154752

Thanks for all the help. Andy, do you have the"d" gaskets as well as the stripping for the door?
Yes we do.

Andy
Old 04-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Boyce , Louisiana
Hi everyone! It's my first time posting and I really hope someone can help me. I have a 64 GT made in CA. I just got it back from Texas Vintage Trailers after having it renovated. Here's my problem: every window is leaking at the top! Yikes!!! I live in LA - too far to bring it back. I looked at the gaskets they installed. They are on the back frame on the sides and bottom. None at the top. The window frame itself (glass part) has a u shaped groove all the way around. Should the gasket have been installed there all the way around and if so which gasket to buy? Thanks for your help!
Lorna
DixieDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Shreveport , Louisiana
Another Louisiana Newbie

Hi Lorna, We just bought a '67 Safari and are new to Airstreaming ourselves. We're in Shreveport. Tell me about your experiences with Texas Vintage Trailers. We're sort of keeping them in mind as a backup plan. Sorry, I can't help with your window questions - we've got our own leaky windy problems that we haven't quite solved yet. I"m sure someone here will have your answers! Good luck! Jennifer
JJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Boyce , Louisiana
Update - yesterday I installed the bulb gasket from Vintage Trailer Supply on three windows. I went all the way around each window with the gasket. It took three hours mainly because I had to pull out old silicone from the POs repairs. Thank goodness he hadn't applied much of it. This weekend I'll install on the other three windows. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will pass the water hose test!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin View Post
Update - yesterday I installed the bulb gasket from Vintage Trailer Supply on three windows. I went all the way around each window with the gasket. It took three hours mainly because I had to pull out old silicone from the POs repairs. Thank goodness he hadn't applied much of it. This weekend I'll install on the other three windows. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will pass the water hose test!
The bulb gasket was discontinued early in it's life because it's an absolute failure for even the short haul.

The "D" gasket is far superior and has none of the faults of the bulb gasket.

Watch what happens when you squirt water to the side of the window frame, which is the same as towing in a rain.

The water will go right past the bulb gasket.

Andy
Old 05-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Boyce , Louisiana
Ok I'll check it out. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
We just picked up our '58 Overlander, formerly Mello Mike's Lucy, and pulled it from St. David, AZ to Portland, OR through some amazing downpours in AZ and CA. We had some intrusion around the edge of the outer door, but the windows did not seem to leak at all.Some of the seals around the windows do not look very good at all, although Mike did some well documented work on leakery! We have found all sorts of odds and ends in the trailer including a bunch of gasketry. Now all we have to do is figure out what to do with the stuff we found in the trailer!
SpikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The bulb gasket was discontinued early in it's life because it's an absolute failure for even the short haul.

The "D" gasket is far superior and has none of the faults of the bulb gasket.

Watch what happens when you squirt water to the side of the window frame, which is the same as towing in a rain.

The water will go right past the bulb gasket.

Andy
Andy: Can you provide a link to the gasket you're referring to? I've never had much luck using the search engine on your site. Also, the bulb gasket has a lipped piece that goes in the original slot. I think I found the D gasket you're referring to, but would like to know the size. I'm assuming you just stick it on?

Thanks,

Rob.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote