Old 04-13-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master
1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Replacing rear window in '68 Overlander

Our Lady of Aluminum was purchased with a missing rear window. By the looks of the crusty remnants of duct tape still sticking to the aluminum, its been missing for quite sometime. We know Lexan windows are available through Inland RV, as well as Corning Windows from Airstream Dreams. Locally, we can get tempered glass cut to size. But we are a bit muddled. It looks as though the original glass was 3/32 of an inch thick. All the of the new glass is 1/16 of an inch thick. Does the 3 sided stainless hardware (which we are missing) and the 3 clips fit the thicker glass? Does anyone have experience with this?

Our top 2 piece track is clean and in good shape!

Jim & Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 03:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
InlandRV sells new clips, but the clips are sized to fit the steel-framed Lexan windows they offer which, I believe, are at least a quarter-inch thick. I'm not aware of anyone selling an original sized clip.

My Overlander had a broken, steel-framed acrylic window complete with oversized clips when I got it. To match the look of the other windows, I replaced it with a frameless Lexan window, and shimmed the clips with carefully cut pieces of the old window to make up for the difference in thickness.

BTW, I found mineral spirits (paint thinner) good at removing dried duct tape while not attacking the clearcote.

1967 Airstream Overlander International
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
The original windows were 3/16"

The new glass and Lexan, Acrylite, etc., are 1/8"

The clips sold by Inland RV will fit with a bit of bending and a dab of Par-Bond.
Former full-timer | AIRSTREAM LIFE magazine | Tour of America (old blog) | Man In The Maze (current blog)

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote