Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Replacing (plexi) glass in '69 Safari

My '69 Safari has several windows where the PO put some nasty plexiglas in place of the original glass. I'd like to replace this with new Lexan (or comparable) but how do I go about removing the plexi from the aluminum frame after I've removed the windows? I'd prefer to use the original frames if possible, just put in new Lexan. I know Inland RV stocks it, I just don't know how to put it in. thanks,

rick olivier
new orleans
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Hi Rick,

Call the folks at Inland RV. They are very, very helpful and will get you the information you need.

Steve
centennialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If you buy the right thickness, it will simply slip into the channel. If you use polycarbonate (Lexan) make sure you do not use a solvent containing caulking compound to seal around the edge. Polycarbonate is very sensitive to some solvents and can become brittle or crack. Latex type caulk would work but a thin rubber gasket, like used on the original slip in glass is best. For windows prior to 65 with the plastic retainer strips, a strip of double sticky adhesive tape could be used between the metal and the Lexan.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Fotochop, did you repair that window yet? I been trying to take the frame apart and no luck so far. Your's might be easier since it has been replaced by your previous owner.
Anyone been there done that and want to share some tips?
Old 02-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop
My '69 Safari has several windows where the PO put some nasty plexiglas in place of the original glass. I'd like to replace this with new Lexan (or comparable) but how do I go about removing the plexi from the aluminum frame after I've removed the windows? I'd prefer to use the original frames if possible, just put in new Lexan. I know Inland RV stocks it, I just don't know how to put it in. thanks,

rick olivier
new orleans
The Lexan we stock is for 1966, 67 and 68 windows, and has a special abrasion resistance coating on each side.

Taking old window frames apart is not easy, in part because 1/2 of the hinge must also be removed.

Putting them back together again, becomes a challenge.

The steel joiner plate at the top and bottom are normally very rusty. To get them to slide back into place, is near impossible.

Then there is the matter of using very small buck rivets to reinstall the hinge at the top.

Should you manage to get the frame back together, you will find that it flexes considerably at the bottom.

Finding a source for the inner gray gasket, is still a mystery.

Then you must also complete the job by install a new outer gasket.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Do it right

Why don't you just replace them with glass. Its not curvy Corning. Should be easy...unless your talking about the front "D" windows.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
I agree, my front center window has plexi in it, and the bottom half they originally removed to put it in broke loose just after we got it home. I made some temporary "L"'s for inside the channel to keep the trailer secure and water tight since its only sitting in the driveway. With every one of my clamps and straps I couldn't get the window frame edges tight back together.

My only wish is that AS made the glass still in clear because I really don't want to go solar gray and I really don't want to have to tint or replace the other windows to match. In the meantime I'm looking for used/new old stock that will match. Guy on ebay greatlakesestore I think has some 69 windows and other 69 parts. His prices are really high but takes best offers and hasn't ever turned me down on an offer yet. His communication isn't great (best to call him on the number listed on the auctions) then do the transaction but everything has been as advertised and he's been ok to work with.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
not to worry

Any good automotive....most residential....glass company will have and install (if you want) tempered or safety glass. It comes in clear. Its not a big deal.'Its the corning of 66, 67 and 68 that you need special suppliers, which we have here, and special installation instructions...also provided.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Fotochop,

I have the same problem as you in my 1968 Tradewind.

Some of the windows in my trailer have the orginal glass Corning glass with the correct chrome trim. Everything seals properly.

Some of the windows are replacement lexan with no trim. The lexan with no trim bows and flexes out at the bottom, allowing water in.

The Corning glass is thicker thand the lexan replacements. Thus the same size sealing tape does not work on both.

The replacement Corning glass is very expensive, about $300.00 a window, from Vintage Supply or Andy's.

I'm replacing my lexan windows with Corning glass a window at a time as I have extra money.

Keep in mind that the chrome trim you purchase is thicker for the corning glass.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithC
Fotochop,

I have the same problem as you in my 1968 Tradewind.

Some of the windows in my trailer have the orginal glass Corning glass with the correct chrome trim. Everything seals properly.

Some of the windows are replacement lexan with no trim. The lexan with no trim bows and flexes out at the bottom, allowing water in.

The replacement Corning glass is very expensive, about $300.00 a window, from Vintage Supply or Andy's.
Our most expensive tempered glass window for the 66, 67 and 68 trailers, is $150.00, not $300.00 as you quoted.

Andy
Old 02-01-2008, 10:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Glass

KeithC, I bought all new glass for my '67 from Steve H. at VintagetrailerSupply.com except for the front and rear windows. Those I had made in 1/8th inch heat tempered from my local glass shop. As you know from your '68 they are 39.5" x 20.5" and I got both for $100.00. The glass that Steve sells is lifetime guaranteed against breakage. So regardless of the cost they are a great deal. The ones Andy from InlandRV.com sells are less expensive and are made to the original Airstream specs. These windows are all heat tempered and that makes them twice as shatter resistant as the original Corning Chemically Tempered ones. Either vendor has a great product and the cost of the glass is more than offset by the better quality. In the case of replacement glass for the '69 trailer all that flat glass should be easy to get from your local glass shop. If the frames are curved then good hunting! Just remember to order heat tempered and ask them about gray seals for around the glass or if they can recommend a newer solution to seal them in your aluminum riveted frames. Hope this helps. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:01 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
The glass that Steve sells is lifetime guaranteed against breakage. So regardless of the cost they are a great deal. The ones Andy from InlandRV.com sells are less expensive and are made to the original Airstream specs. Ed
Ed,

As per the Vintage Trailer's web site, Steve's warranty is one (1) year, not lifetime as you quoted.

Andy
Old 02-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Sorry Andy, I stand corrected.... Mine is with the LT guarantee that I mentioned. I guess Steve rethought that! Still one year is better than nothing... right? Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
Sorry Andy, I stand corrected.... Mine is with the LT guarantee that I mentioned. I guess Steve rethought that! Still one year is better than nothing... right? Happy Trails, Ed

Ed.

One year better than nothing?? Perhaps.

That one year warranty for the curved windows from Vintage costs $59.95
and for the flat window, it costs $36.95.

When someone pays any where from 40 percent to almost 53 percent of a purchase price for a one year warranty, that, I think, is paying a lot of money for that warranty.

I think most people would find that to be rather expensive insurance, for one year, or for that matter even for 5 years.

Check out the difference in selling prices yourself.

Quantity purchasing usually results in cheaper selling prices, for most any product.

We purchase that glass in quantities of at least 600 pieces.

Accordingly, we are happy to pass that savings on to our customers.

Additionally, most glass breakage is covered by the trailer insurance policy, or a homeowners policy. So why pay for a warranty at all?

Andy
Old 03-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Our most expensive tempered glass window for the 66, 67 and 68 trailers, is $150.00, not $300.00 as you quoted.

Andy
I think I may be describing the wrong windows. Andy, could it be possible that the "D" windows flanking the big one in the center (photo below) are only $150 each? If so, that would be EXCLUDING the frame, correct?

thanks!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Olivier_streamfront_0360.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	56475
Old 03-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop
I think I may be describing the wrong windows. Andy, could it be possible that the "D" windows flanking the big one in the center (photo below) are only $150 each? If so, that would be EXCLUDING the frame, correct?

thanks!
Attachment 56475
Glass only, has never been available for the 1969 models and up, until the early 2000 nds.

$150.00 for a 1969 wing window, would be a heck of a deal, since the dealers pay more than double that themselves.

Andy
Old 03-17-2008, 07:27 PM   #17
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
Why don't you just replace them with glass. Its not curvy Corning. Should be easy...unless your talking about the front "D" windows.
On a 69, only the front and rear windows are not curvy.
All the side windows have a slight curve to them, as do the D-shaped windows on the front.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
-kind of mind-boggling how many variations curved vs. flat glass vs. full-D vs. half-D vs. 66 vs. 68 vs. 69..... it starts to make Zep's solution look better and better:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...7&d=1204171770

thanks to all for input & info