Old 06-16-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Kearney , Missouri
Replacing Front Window '64 Overlander

I am currently replacing the front window on my 1964 Overlander. When I obtained the camper the window was completely broken with only small pieces of glass in the window frame and only 2 pieces of the gray plastic seal to hold the glass into the aluminum frame. What is the exact name of this part (the gray plastic piece) and does anyone know of a source to obtain this. I need to replace this window part. I have 6 mil poly currently in place and its time has come.
Thanks.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Replacing Front Window 64 Overlander

Greetings 64Overlander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Overlander View Post
I am currently replacing the front window on my 1964 Overlander. When I obtained the camper the window was completely broken with only small pieces of glass in the window frame and only 2 pieces of the gray plastic seal to hold the glass into the aluminum frame. What is the exact name of this part (the gray plastic piece) and does anyone know of a source to obtain this. I need to replace this window part. I have 6 mil poly currently in place and its time has come.
Thanks.
Vintage Trailer Supply is one of two place that carries most if not all of the materials that you will need for the glass replacement. Since the glass in our '64s is flat standard window glass, sourcing the glass itself is not difficult. When I had to face the same window replacement, I went with Lexan -- it permits me to go without a front rock guard yet not worry about replacing the glass. Mine was replaced in 1998 and is still clear and well sealed today.
  • The first thing that you will want to do is clean all of the old broken glass and sealant from the aluminum channel.
  • Then, to the clean channel, apply Butyl Glazing Tape as the bed for the glass.
  • Then, with the replacement glass or Lexan cut approximately 1/16" of an inch undersize in all dimensions can be centered in the channel.
  • The glass/Lexan is then surrounded on all sides with Hehr Hall-Mark 12 Glazing Strip which is mitered in each of the corners -- avoid stretching as it will contract a little over time.
  • I haven't heard this recommended since the late 1990s, but when my front window was replaced Vulkem was used sparingly at each corner of the glazing strip.
Good luck with your project!

Kevin

P.S.: While you have the window out, it would be a good time to change the window seal as well.

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Kearney , Missouri
Front Window Replaced

Thanks for the help with the specs. Here it is, it looks a lot better than 6 mil poly. Used butyl glazing tape and Hehr Hall Mark 12 weather stripping.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old window.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	83122   Click image for larger version

Name:	New window.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	83124  

Old 06-28-2009, 11:05 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Kearney , Missouri
I used tmpered glass for the replacement and I thought it turned out well.