Old 02-02-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
replacing '67 flat side window

Hey it's me

I am getting ready to put in the new window on the side of the trailer, it is the smaller window below the one that opens. The window that I am replacing does not open. I have a good idea of how it goes in.

I have the replacement window and I'm reusing gasket from the owner of another '67 (Karma to Till). The gasket is the grey kind that goes on the edge of the glass, it almost looks like you can just put it on the edge of the windowframe with your fingers and the glass slides into a slot in the gasket. I hope this makes sense.

My question is: do I glue the gasket to the window frame or does it just go in and hold in the windowpane by itself? The gasket does have some glue residue on it but that could be silicone sealant.

If I do use glue what kind do I use?

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
There is a window sealant made by 3M sold at most box stores for automotive type window installations. If its a fixed window there is a trick installers use where they wrap a length of small diameter cord once around the window, put both ends of the cord in the trailer and have a helper pull one end around slowly while you press on the outside of the window following the cord. This pulls up and in on the inside lip and sets the window.

I would think you could take it to a automotive window installer and for very little money they would apply their sealant and install the window. Much less of a pain.

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
My 67, I used black glazing tape on the inside frame, stuck the glass to it then pushed the grey trim strip into the frame to hold the glass in place.
Thats what was there from the factory on mine.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
No goo!

I'm going to try that. I just cleaned off what I think is the 3M stuff (grey) from all the grey strip for two hours in front of the TV. It would be nice to not have to use any more gasket goo, but that might not be what it is. Either way the grey trim strip is cleaned.

There are also two aluminum brackets that hold in the window after the grey gasket goes in. I'll take pictures.

ingrid
Old 02-03-2007, 01:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Beware of the "Window Curse"!!!!

Hey Ingrid, You probably were removing a PO's leaking window repair. They probably used Vulkem to caulk the window around the gray gasket when they discovered a leak way back when. (Remember all the silicone sealant you had to remove from the other side?) Just use the same tape you used to hold your clamped windows in with and go all the way around the vista view glass. Then apply the gray gasket before you install the window in the trailer. You will need to caulk the inside edges of the outer skin with sikaflex221 or Vulkem to aviod any leak that might occur from the glass and gasket not fitting tightly against the aluminum outer skin. Install the window/gasket assembly and re-install the hold down pieces and inner trim. Once this is done wait 24 hours and then trim off excess black tape and any excess caulking that might be squeezed out after window is re-installed. Then thoroughly clean the glass inside and out. Once this is all done then you will have to say to yourself..."Now I need to remove the other one and get it in the same great condition as this one so I have no leak worries from either of them for some time to come." I hate to increase your work load but better safe than sorry! Once it is all put back together it would be a real pain to find a leak and have to do the other one then, Right? Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Confused

I think the grey that I removed was the original sealant.

I'm confused. How does the grey stripping stick to the window frame? Glue? Or does it just stay in and it holds in the window, along with the metal braces that go in last?

ingrid
Old 02-04-2007, 02:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Caulk It

When you caulk the inside edge of the outer skin around the window opening and set the window/gray gasket assembly into the opening... the caulk will help "stick the window to the aluminum outer skin of the window opening. When the clamps are applied and the window is fully installed you will need to remove the excess black glazing tape from the window glass. Wait 24 hours to do this for the sikaflex221 to set up and then remove all excess sikaflex caulk that squeezes out around the window opening. You only need to seal the outside edge of the glass/gray gasket against moisture. Any gap between the glass/gray gasket and the outer skin can then be re-caulked with a bead of sikaflex all the way around the outside edge of the window opening. I know this sounds very repetitive but it is important that you understand the best way to seal out moisture. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
I think I've got it!

I had a hard time understanding why there was a gap on the side edges of the windowpane when I held it up and looked at it, but I figured out (finally!) that the clamps are part of the window frame on the front as well. I also figured out that I need to push in the grey stripping with a plastic putty knife to get it into the slot, and it holds the pane in tight.

I'll definitely caulk away, now I think I know exactly what to do. I just need to get some glazing tape; all I have left is bedding tape which doesn't stick to the glass.

Thank you!!

ingrid