Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
Kir
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pleasant Ridge , Michigan
Replacing '65 Tradewind Windows: HELP!

My husband and I are in the process of repairing our "new" '65 Tradewind. Currently on the agenda is: fixing rusted rear frame, removing inner skins to install new insulation, and next- fixing two broken windows.

I'm looking for suggestions on replacing two broken windows- one door side window, and the large rear window. The PO had poorly replaced these with plexiglass. Both are now cracked, and the frame itself is falling apart- the slots that hold the glass in place are detached... it's really a mess.
I really want to do this right...

Has anybody went through this process? Any tips specific to the '65? Best resource for new glass? (from what I've gathered, inland RV seems to be the place)

Thoughts are much appreciated!!!

Pictures to follow...

Kir
Kir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Kir,
I'm not sure but I think your windows are different than my '63. I recall one of the recent episodes of The Vintage Airstream Podcast (www.the vap.com), perhaps eipsode 169? where they talked about windows during this period of transition.

Good Luck
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Heres what I did. My windows were caked with silicon calk and all kinds of crap. I got my tempered glass from a local glass shop. It is a bit thicker and heavier but I like the tempered. Make sure to leave a little room on the glass, dont measure it too snug or you will have problems. I got the bulb seal from VTS and the window glazeing they both worked really well. I used a heated blade to miter cut the glazeing strip. Also my glass shop told me to lightly mist the glass with windex, it gives you a little wiggle room when you set the glass in the butyl tape.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote