Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Replacement Window Operators HEHR 008-131 (original?)

Need to replace most of my window operators. Some work, barely. Most are stripped and don't work at all. I decided to bite the bullet and just order new ones. Here's what I currently have in most of the windows. I suspect they are not original, because there are still two windows that have the HEHR ones in place. The HEHR's look more like the replcements that each of the three below have available. Does anyone else have a source for good replacements?

The arm is 7-11/16 long and the mounting holes have a 3" spacing.

OUCH! Sticker shock.

Here's what I've found:
Inland RV: $21.95 (sale)
VTS: $17.89
Tom Raper RV: $12.09
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0981.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	60573  
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
We purchased ours from VTS. Get out your checkbook.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
Need to replace most of my window operators. Some work, barely. Most are stripped and don't work at all. I decided to bite the bullet and just order new ones. Here's what I currently have in most of the windows. I suspect they are not original, because there are still two windows that have the HEHR ones in place. The HEHR's look more like the replcements that each of the three below have available. Does anyone else have a source for good replacements?

The arm is 7-11/16 long and the mounting holes have a 3" spacing.

OUCH! Sticker shock.

Here's what I've found:
Inland RV: $21.95 (sale)
VTS: $17.89
Tom Raper RV: $12.09
We have them along with the friction pads that don't need springs.

http://www.inlandrv.com/parts/91587-winopr65ndown.jpg

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Vts

I've bought openers from cheaper sources and guess what, they were crap. They nylon bushing inside pushes out versus the ones from VTS have them on the inside so any pressure pushes it against the inside frame.

I've been very happy with VTS, but I WISH these F****'n things were cheaper. I just bought five, plus the nylon guides. Pretty steep price, but worth the price considering other sources break within the first season.

HTH,

Doug

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy_hollow
I've bought openers from cheaper sources and guess what, they were crap. They nylon bushing inside pushes out versus the ones from VTS have them on the inside so any pressure pushes it against the inside frame.

I've been very happy with VTS, but I WISH these F****'n things were cheaper. I just bought five, plus the nylon guides. Pretty steep price, but worth the price considering other sources break within the first season.

HTH,

Doug
We agree.

There are several versions of most parts available.

We strive to sell only those that we feel are top quality.

Of course, just as you said, sub standard parts are available at a cheap price. "IF" they last one season, you got your moneys worth.

It's been very interesting over my 42 years with Airstream owners.

There are 3 reasons people by Airstreams.

1. They are always in a hurry, so they want something that they can go fast.

2. They love the top quality of an Airstream, and wish to keep it that way.

3. They love the top quality of an Airstream, and could care less what parts are used to fix them, "JUST SO IT'S CHEAP."

We all know the consequences of something cheap.

We also all know, how to spend tons of hours, getting something cheap, and hope it fits. When it doesn't work out the way they thought it would, they either hide or blame someone else for the problems. BUT, they saved a little money.

We have always said, "if someone wants to RV on the cheap, for heavens sake, don't buy an Airstream."

And so it is.

Andy
Old 05-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
We agree.

There are several versions of most parts available.

blah...blah...blah...

We all know the consequences of something cheap.

blah...blah...blah...

And so it is.

Andy
Thank you Andy, I already found yours and noted them above.
Hence my question in the first post: "Does anyone else have a source for good replacements?"
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 05-17-2008, 08:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
In over 19 years, no one has reported a single failure in our operators.

Andy
Old 05-31-2008, 09:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
I am happy to report the $12.09 ones arrived, were installed, and work great!

Referring back to my original post, the operator pictured there, IS a Hehr brand, and the originals. (Still has the original paint). The gears on those were pot metal that stripped out. Two that were replaced at some point in time are also Hehr, but look almost identical to the replacements I installed. They are stamped steel, not pot metal or plastic.

The replacements I installed are WCM brand. Window Components Mfg. Model# 807CK UPC# 7 15384 10240 9. The description is Roof Vent Operator Kit W/ 7-11/16" Arm. The mounting holes are spaced correctly at 2-15/16".

Here's what the replacements look like - http://www.tomraperrvparts.com/parts...18109_silo.jpg

Now I'm going to have to order more of the "keepers" pictured below. The first one came out pretty easily, almost all of the rest of them were obliterated during removal. Before I order those, I am going to attempt to make a sliding block that the end of the arm will attach to and slide in the window channel in place of the nylon keeper.

ON EDIT: WARNING!!! I forgot to mention. This replacement is not for the faint at heart. You must drill out the hole on the end of the arm to 1/4" from the 1/8" hole that comes pre-drilled.
Attached Images

2001 Honda XR650R

Old 06-01-2008, 06:52 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Openers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
Thank you Andy, I already found yours and noted them above.
Hence my question in the first post: "Does anyone else have a source for good replacements?"

BTW, I was not referring to inland RV in my post.

Now those new openers, is the nylon insert on the outside or inside? Meaning can you see the insert from after you install it?

Doug

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
1964 California or Ohio trailer?

Hi Great Pumpkin:

Was your 1964 Overlander built in California or Ohio? The two plants may have used different types of window openers on side windows that year, hence my question. Did you replace the window openers in the front and rear windows? Do your front and rear windows have non-visible openers? If so, do you have a source for that style of opener? Or did you replace only openers in the side windows? Thanks,
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
BTW, I was not referring to inland RV in my post.
I didn't think you were. You mentioned "cheaper source" - that usually disqualifies that vendor . I guess my post was misinterpreted. As evidently both you and Andy thought I was referring to his operators as cheap quality. I simply meant that 1) I had already found his (as listed in my first post), and 2) that I wanted any other known sources for quality replacements vs the cheap/substandard ones you and he both mentioned. No harm, no foul intended. Sorry.

Quote:
Now those new openers, is the nylon insert on the outside or inside? Meaning can you see the insert from after you install it?

Doug
If you are referring to the nylon "plug" as pictured below, then it is on the inside. You cannot see it once installed. The picture below is one of the replacement? Hehrs that I removed from the trailer, but the new WCM replacements were pretty much identical in construction to the Hehrs. I'd show a picture of that one, but they are already installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0984.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	61537  
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 06-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
Hi Great Pumpkin:

Was your 1964 Overlander built in California or Ohio? The two plants may have used different types of window openers on side windows that year, hence my question. Did you replace the window openers in the front and rear windows? Do your front and rear windows have non-visible openers? If so, do you have a source for that style of opener? Or did you replace only openers in the side windows? Thanks,
Fred -

Mine is a Ohio built. I replaced every operator except the two on the front window. Those two are still in working condition. Most of the operators were the Hehr's pictured in my first post, and still had the zolatone on them so I am assuming they were the original. Two operators were the Hehr's pictured in the post above this one. They did not have zolatone on them. I assume they were replacements at some time in this trailers history. There were also two cheap/substandard ones that I removed that had fallen apart, and weren't even complete.

All the windows were identical in their operators (save the replacements already mentioned). My front/back and side windows have the same openers and latches. I'm not familiar with the non-visible openers.
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 01-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin View Post
I am happy to report the $12.09 ones arrived, were installed, and work great!

Referring back to my original post, the operator pictured there, IS a Hehr brand, and the originals. (Still has the original paint). The gears on those were pot metal that stripped out. Two that were replaced at some point in time are also Hehr, but look almost identical to the replacements I installed. They are stamped steel, not pot metal or plastic.

The replacements I installed are WCM brand. Window Components Mfg. Model# 807CK UPC# 7 15384 10240 9. The description is Roof Vent Operator Kit W/ 7-11/16" Arm. The mounting holes are spaced correctly at 2-15/16".

Here's what the replacements look like - http://www.tomraperrvparts.com/parts...18109_silo.jpg

Now I'm going to have to order more of the "keepers" pictured below. The first one came out pretty easily, almost all of the rest of them were obliterated during removal. Before I order those, I am going to attempt to make a sliding block that the end of the arm will attach to and slide in the window channel in place of the nylon keeper.

ON EDIT: WARNING!!! I forgot to mention. This replacement is not for the faint at heart. You must drill out the hole on the end of the arm to 1/4" from the 1/8" hole that comes pre-drilled.
Just wondering how those $12.09 window openers you installed worked out
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote