Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2007, 08:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
1982 31' Excella
Milwaukie , Oregon
Replacement Hehr windows

I have found someone that is willing to rebuild my window. I gave him the window with hinge and he told me it could be done. I also mentioned how many others are looking for replacements so he said that he would make a jig that could make others like mine in any size. He quoted me a price of a few hundred but said it would come down with more orders to justify the jig.
The window does not include the glass or seals as I told him those are available. The window I gave him is from my 51/52 Flying Cloud these used the little handle that pushes the window out. I'm sure variations could be made with examples. I would like to know how many others are interested in this.
Brian
wander'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wander'n
I have found someone that is willing to rebuild my window. I gave him the window with hinge and he told me it could be done. I also mentioned how many others are looking for replacements so he said that he would make a jig that could make others like mine in any size. He quoted me a price of a few hundred but said it would come down with more orders to justify the jig.
The window does not include the glass or seals as I told him those are available. The window I gave him is from my 51/52 Flying Cloud these used the little handle that pushes the window out. I'm sure variations could be made with examples. I would like to know how many others are interested in this.
Brian
Brian,

I am interested, I need two 25w by 14H for my Liner. There was someone else on this forum who needed some also. These windows were used on many early 1950 trailers of all makes. Please follow up.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:59 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Hello Wander'n,Welcome to Airforums,I'am known as Wanderer1 .My name is also Brian .Cool!!!!!, we might even be related! Have a good one.
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Some time back I emailed a fellow with several (20 or so) old Airstreams in a field that were in tough shape, asking if he'd be willing to part some of them out. No response from him so I suspect he feels they are worth more complete versus parted out. I have a friend with a '51 who needs a window and was hoping to acquire a window from the aforementioned fellow and I'll ask him if he's ready to order one. Will this include the open/close handle?

Thanks for doing this, it's a great help to many.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
1982 31' Excella
Milwaukie , Oregon
Ok I would like to be sure these turn out like original. I will take a picture of my old frame and one of the new when done and post here. Barry I originally thought you could buy the handle on vintage trailer supply but looking at it again it isn't quite the same. I will give him one of mine to add to the build. As the lifting mechanisms seem to change through the years it would be good to know what each window ordered is set up with. The window looks like it uses 2 sizes of Aluminum but does any one know what grade I should say to use?
Hi Wanderer1 it looks like you spell Brian the right way too!!
Old 08-06-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Cogan Station , Pennsylvania
How about Lexan?

I am brand new to the whole AS thing, reguardless, I also need to replace some windows as well. 1/8" Lexan is about $7.00 a square foot. So a large side window on my Sovereign would cost about $50.00 to buy Lexan and have it cut to fit the frame. Now, to find window seals for the '69 Sovereign!!

The large side window would cost me near $400.00 from Inland RV(includes new frame). This is a no brainer for me, $50 vs. $400.

Could this be something that you or others would be interested in, or does Lexan take the whole "classic" out of the thing?

**Just cause I'm drive'in through life doesn't mean everyone else is a passenger.

4 Blogs for you to view
https://www.badelson.blogspot.com
badelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by badelson
I am brand new to the whole AS thing, reguardless, I also need to replace some windows as well. 1/8" Lexan is about $7.00 a square foot. So a large side window on my Sovereign would cost about $50.00 to buy Lexan and have it cut to fit the frame. Now, to find window seals for the '69 Sovereign!!

The large side window would cost me near $400.00 from Inland RV(includes new frame). This is a no brainer for me, $50 vs. $400.

Could this be something that you or others would be interested in, or does Lexan take the whole "classic" out of the thing?
Lexan would work fine, however when you don't have a useable frame because it is either damaged or missing, the lexan option doesn't solve the problem. I have one missing frame on my 1954 Liner and one seriously bent frame.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 08-06-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by badelson

Wander'n, The real issue with Lexan vs. Glass is sealing out wet weather, especially while traveling. Lexan and Plexiglas tend to flex at road speeds which can cause the window pane to lose its' seal and allow leaking around the window opening. That should be your main concern not cost, as repairing water damage inside the trailer could be quite costly. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:09 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
1982 31' Excella
Milwaukie , Oregon
Angry

Well life is fun. The person I was setting this up with just came back with new prices. More than double per window. Scr%# that.
I don't plan on giving up finding some one though. If one says it can be done than I'm sure there are others. Sorry to get your hopes up Wkerfoot.
Brian
Old 08-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wander'n
Well life is fun. The person I was setting this up with just came back with new prices. More than double per window. Scr%# that.
I don't plan on giving up finding some one though. If one says it can be done than I'm sure there are others. Sorry to get your hopes up Wkerfoot.
Brian
Brian,

Not the first time my hopes have been dashed, Oh well. If we keep looking something will come up. There are several on Ebay, but not the right size.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 08-06-2007, 06:37 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
1982 31' Excella
Milwaukie , Oregon
Yes well I plan on staying optimistic.
That guy on ebay lives a couple hrs from here and I was able to get one of my windows replaced through him. Also got the center tail light for my Flying Cloud. Little by little, it comes together.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I had a chance to discuss this briefly with my friend last night and he's going to go the route I have which is a slightly later style for the bathroom we installed. From time to time these later ones show up in RV wreckers and in local recycler type papers.

Thanks for trying though Brian.

As for lexan, all my windows but two are now lexan. It works great and I live in the pacific northwest where one often tows to or from an outing in the rain. So far no leaks after almost 4 years so I'm happy.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:28 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Cogan Station , Pennsylvania
Safari57, What did you use to seal the lexan to the frames? All of my frames are in great shape, this is one of the reasons why I would like to go the lexan route. I am still stuck on the high price of new glass replacements...ooof!

**Just cause I'm drive'in through life doesn't mean everyone else is a passenger.

4 Blogs for you to view
https://www.badelson.blogspot.com
badelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:12 PM   #14

1964 22' Safari
Deming , New Mexico
We have a 64 Safari Land Yacht that we need to replace the seal around the kitchen window, as it leaks. Can anyone tell us what to use and where to acquire whatever we need? Thanks
Cliff/Sue is offline   Reply With Quote