Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Fremont , California
Question Replace opaque door Window with clear?

I asked Airstream, and they only have opaque glass for my new 20' Flying Cloud's door. (I wonder why.) I would like to replace it with a clear piece. The glass is slightly curved in two directions. I suppose it's tempered glass, and it's etched.
I wonder if I could buy another one and try to polish out the etching to make it clear.
Nah! It couldn't be that easy.
Could it?
Anyone have any experience with this issue, or any thoughts?
Thanks
Jim
jlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
If the glass is tempered I don't think you can do anything to it. It will shatter if you try to rework it

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I think you wil find they are all tempered. After a break in with my old SOB (1993 - not tempered), I could find NO glass shop which would sell anything but temperd for ANY door application. They cited codes.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Fremont , California
I figured it out. I was scared I'd ruin my door so I got a new window shipped to me. Take two little screws out of the frame and pull it apart until you can work the glass out. I didn't ruin the frame or break the glass. I got a replacement clear smoked piece and put it in. The glass is bedded into a rubber grommet that fits tightly into the frame. Just stick it on the new piece. It's a bit of a wrestling match, getting it into the frame, but it's fine. If you are a riveter, you can take the window out of the door, change the glass, and put it back, but I'm taking the newly-clear window to my dealer to swap. I never did a rivet in my life.
(I may start practicing, since I am the proud owner of so many darn rivets.)
Old 04-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I am going to nit pic on language, as an educational and architectural wonk only, so I am not picking on anyone. This is a really common error.

Opaque means no light or vision gets through. The Airstream door glass is not opaque.
Obscure means light gets through, but not vision. This is what AS uses in the door glass.
Transparent means both light and vision gets through. Mostly we use this type of glass.

And of course you can have tinted transparent, which cuts down on light but does not obscure vision. So, what you want to know is why AS does not have tinted transparent door glass. All the rest of the door is metal, and metal is opaque. BTW, they do actually make Black Glass, that is opaque (no light and no vision) but has the exterior look of glass, that is a hard "glass like" look, and wears like glass. Mostly it is used in high rise buildings with all glass exteriors but where no light or vision are wanted.

Clear as mud now? Sorry I had to vent one of my little petty nit picks....LOL. Please forgive me, I feel better now.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Fremont , California
I stand corrected. Thanks. The Airstream windows are obscure. I hope my post wasn't too much so. My new piece is tinted, but not obscure.
8-]
Old 05-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlight View Post
I figured it out. I was scared I'd ruin my door so I got a new window shipped to me. Take two little screws out of the frame and pull it apart until you can work the glass out. I didn't ruin the frame or break the glass. I got a replacement clear smoked piece and put it in. The glass is bedded into a rubber grommet that fits tightly into the frame. Just stick it on the new piece. It's a bit of a wrestling match, getting it into the frame, but it's fine. If you are a riveter, you can take the window out of the door, change the glass, and put it back, but I'm taking the newly-clear window to my dealer to swap. I never did a rivet in my life.
(I may start practicing, since I am the proud owner of so many darn rivets.)
Where did you get the replacement window? I would like to replace my etched glass door window with a clear window. Thanks for your help.
trestile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:59 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
ROSWELL , Georgia
Same here.I want to replace my '07 Safari door glass with a clear one.I've posted this before,but no answers.A member answered me back a few years ago with the name of the vendor AIrstream used for the door glass and bought his clear glass from this vendor.AirForums search is so exhausting to see so many posts that you give-up trying to find your need!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums Mike Gore-MikesSE.
Mike & Nancy Gore WBCCI #2914 S E Camping Unit 012 Roswell,Ga.
mikesSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
One of our studios had a window that was clear until you flipped a switch and it became translucent. Not exactly sure how it was done, I think it had a fluorescent light in the frame that scattered the light.
That's the future.
High end motorhomes also have a mini blind inside the two panes of door glass. A slider opens and closes the shades. Nice!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
By the way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
One of our studios had a window that was clear until you flipped a switch and it became translucent. Not exactly sure how it was done, I think it had a fluorescent light in the frame that scattered the light.
That's the future.
High end motorhomes also have a mini blind inside the two panes of door glass. A slider opens and closes the shades. Nice!
Molly looks like a good ole' girl. I'm a sucker for dogs.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:43 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Jackso Center Can Do It!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlight View Post
I asked Airstream, and they only have opaque glass for my new 20' Flying Cloud's door. (I wonder why.) I would like to replace it with a clear piece. The glass is slightly curved in two directions. I suppose it's tempered glass, and it's etched.
I wonder if I could buy another one and try to polish out the etching to make it clear.
Nah! It couldn't be that easy.
Could it?
Anyone have any experience with this issue, or any thoughts?
Thanks
Jim
Last year I was at JC and they made me a new clear glass and frame and installed it. I then had my tint guy to put some 20% ceramic tint on it and we love it! I can see out now with complete privacy. Helps a lot with the light and heat!