Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #1

1952 15' Cruisette
Santa Barbara , California
Question Replace missing front window with jalousie?

The front window in my 1952 Cruisette was removed to make way for a small air conditioner unit. I've since removed the air conditioner and am thinking about installing a jalousie/louver window since I doubt I'll be able to find an original replacement window for this relatively rare Airstream model.

I'm thinking that a jalousie window would lend a certain ambiance and suggest a better aesthetic. Plus, in the likelihood that one of the glass panes was chipped or broken (I don't like the look of rockguards), it would probably be easier to fix individual panes since they slide out of the side clips of the jalousie frame.

However, other folks here have suggested a jalousie window up front would be really prone to leaking, especially when on the road. I know there are clear vinyl strips that are used to create a seal between the panes, but I've never seen them in person. Any good or bad experiences here?

Here follows some of the front jalousie windows that I've been able to track down on the internets. If you happen to own one of these beauties, please let me know if you have problems with water leaks due to a front jalousie.
http://www.vintageairstreamer.com/19...udAsFound.html

Byam's '55 Flying Cloud: Jealousy of Jalousie windows

1958 Overlander with a retrofit front jalousie. I just posted on Mike's blog to see if his leaks. I hope I get a reply!
Mello Mike's Airstreams - 1958 Overlander and 1972 Sovereign: Jalousie Window Restoration

Andy Rogozinski from Inland RV thinks...frontjalousienotsuchagoodidea.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ion-64573.html

Frank Yensan suggests two cranks per window to keep the window tight against the seal when closed, but this appears to be for a more typical side jalousie. The idea of two window cranks (one for each side of the window; right and left) makes sense, and could potentially be a good fix if I install a jalousie in the front. He looks like he's having a good time!
Frank's Trailer Works Blog: Rode Hard and Put Up Wet, Over and Over Again.

I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks all! Oh, and since this is my first post, here's a photo of my little "Wander" with her awning up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1952 cruisette 'wander'.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	370.4 KB
ID:	125741  
Cruisette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisette View Post
The front window in my 1952 Cruisette was removed to make way for a small air conditioner unit. I've since removed the air conditioner and am thinking about installing a jalousie/louver window since I doubt I'll be able to find an original replacement window for this relatively rare Airstream model.

I'm thinking that a jalousie window would lend a certain ambiance and suggest a better aesthetic. Plus, in the likelihood that one of the glass panes was chipped or broken (I don't like the look of rockguards), it would probably be easier to fix individual panes since they slide out of the side clips of the jalousie frame.

However, other folks here have suggested a jalousie window up front would be really prone to leaking, especially when on the road. I know there are clear vinyl strips that are used to create a seal between the panes, but I've never seen them in person. Any good or bad experiences here?

Here follows some of the front jalousie windows that I've been able to track down on the internets. If you happen to own one of these beauties, please let me know if you have problems with water leaks due to a front jalousie.
http://www.vintageairstreamer.com/19...udAsFound.html

Byam's '55 Flying Cloud: Jealousy of Jalousie windows

1958 Overlander with a retrofit front jalousie. I just posted on Mike's blog to see if his leaks. I hope I get a reply!
Mello Mike's Airstreams - 1958 Overlander and 1972 Sovereign: Jalousie Window Restoration

Andy Rogozinski from Inland RV thinks...frontjalousienotsuchagoodidea.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ion-64573.html

Frank Yensan suggests two cranks per window to keep the window tight against the seal when closed, but this appears to be for a more typical side jalousie. The idea of two window cranks (one for each side of the window; right and left) makes sense, and could potentially be a good fix if I install a jalousie in the front. He looks like he's having a good time!
Frank's Trailer Works Blog: Rode Hard and Put Up Wet, Over and Over Again.

I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks all! Oh, and since this is my first post, here's a photo of my little "Wander" with her awning up.
Guaranteed water leak.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
My 64 Avion has a Jalousie window in it from the factory. It also came with a factory fiberglass rock guard. Without the rock guard I am sure it would leak like a sieve. With the rock guard and towing in the rain, I sometimes get a few drops of water inside. I have replaced all the gaskets and it still leaks a few drops when towing and sometimes when parked in a driving rain with the rock guard up like an awning. My advice is don't do it.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #4

1952 15' Cruisette
Thanks folks.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1952 15' Cruisette
2005 25' International CCD
Columbus , Ohio
Great to see yet another Cruisette pop-up. I own #8050 and would love to see more photos of yours. Would you be willing to share the serial number?
I had contact via my blog with a Cruisette owner who is in the same predicament and is fabricating replacement windows:

Airstream 1951 Cruisette

HTH &
Regards,
Tim
Cruisette52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #6

1952 15' Cruisette
Hey Tim,

I'm #8065. I'll post photos and more info on my trailer under a new thread in the Cruisette section.

Thanks for the link to Jason's restoration. I've been in touch with him too about my trailer and window repair. He's been really helpful, and he's spent a fair amount of time tracking down other Cruisettes. I believe he's only been able to find 23 of our little friends so far. Did you see the one on eBay recently?

I've also followed your blog. Thanks for spending the time to do that! I like your vintage license plate.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1952 15' Cruisette
2005 25' International CCD
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisette View Post
Hey Tim,

I'm #8065. I'll post photos and more info on my trailer under a new thread in the Cruisette section.

Thanks for the link to Jason's restoration. I've been in touch with him too about my trailer and window repair. He's been really helpful, and he's spent a fair amount of time tracking down other Cruisettes. I believe he's only been able to find 23 of our little friends so far. Did you see the one on eBay recently?

I've also followed your blog. Thanks for spending the time to do that! I like your vintage license plate.
Thanks for the kind words about the blog.

I've also been tracking and compiling Cruisettes and have info on about 30 of them give or take, though a few may be duplicates and I don't have serial numbers on all. I'm keen on comparing notes with Jason to see what the grand total might be.

I'll headover to the Cruisette forum and check out the pix!
Tim
Cruisette52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruisette, front window, jalousie