Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2007, 08:59 AM   #41
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Probably doesn't mean anything, but...

That expensive replacement window that Airstream sells fits several year models from the early '70's. Seems to me that the design was a single pane window mounted in a full frame that has to be bucked in.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I am what some people call thrifty or as ZEP says a "scrounger" and I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on a new 450.00 dollar wing window when I need so much other "stuff" all ready. As far as shooting it back in with "buck" or solid shank (as known in my industry), that's the easy part.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:37 AM   #43
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Probably doesn't mean anything, but...

That expensive replacement window that Airstream sells fits several year models from the early '70's. Seems to me that the design was a single pane window mounted in a full frame that has to be bucked in.

Jim
Wing and wrap windows are installed with Olympic rivets and vulkem sealer. It's done everyday by dealers.

If done correctly, you will not ever have a problem with it, unless of course you break the glass.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:45 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I have shot in all the other windows I've removed with MS20470A5 solid shank rivets using Proseal 1440-B1/2 and have had zero problems. I absolutely hate blind type rivets and will only use them as a last resort. I've just seen to many failures of them in my career.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:03 AM   #45
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood
I am what some people call thrifty or as ZEP says a "scrounger" and I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on a new 450.00 dollar wing window when I need so much other "stuff" all ready. As far as shooting it back in with "buck" or solid shank (as known in my industry), that's the easy part.
I agree! I'm too cheap to spend that kind of money as well when there are sound, less expensive options. WHat I meant by my last post was that there must be parts from those years that are interchangable between models as you and Marshall are suggesting in posts 38 & 39.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 11-26-2007, 04:10 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Separation success

The second double pane window is apart! Yay! Elapsed time from start to moderately clean glass is two hours. Timeline so far is:

15 minutes to get the frame off
45 minutes to get the glass apart
40 minutes to get most (not all) of the butyl off the inner glass (gag, MEK brain damage...)
20 minutes to get the film and adhesive off the outer glass

Tools are as shown--mallet, wood block, scraper, 1/8" drill, many thin wood wedges, MEK, paper towls, scratchy sponge (the non-scratch kind), and scrap chisel.

Recipe:

1. Drill out rivets that hold the fame together
2. Cut the black gasket at the frame joint (you might want to remove it completely prior to separating the frame--it will make removal much easier.) If you don't cut it you won't be able to figure out why the frame won't come apart!
3. Use the wood block and mallet to tap the frame off the glass. The two pieces can only move in the left and right direction until the square steel rod is out of the frame channel on top and bottom.
4. Peel off the gasket
5. Peel off the silver tape or cut it all the way around between the two panes. This stuff is like silver duct tape and it adheres to the glass like crazy.
6. Start gently tapping the wedges between the glass. I started at a corner and went along the long edge. I think the glass is flexible enough to bend 1/8" at a time, but I tried to keep it nearer 1/16". In some places the butyl comes right off one pane or the other for 4-6" at a time, but in other places it took a wedge every 2". For this window, the corners were very tough to get apart.
7. Work your way around the whole circumference. I used a heat gun in a couple of places--not sure how much it contributed to success but I'm glad I did it.
8. You may have to remove some lengths of butyl before you can actually separate the glass. The durn stuff is so sticky that even though you can see that the butyl has let go of one side or the other, just a slight touch and you've got several lbs of adhesion. I used a wedge to pry out a small length, then pulled on it and got quite a bit more to follow.
9. Scrape as much butyl off the inner pane as possible. This pane is a pain to clean. MEK will disolve the butyl if the remainder thin. Lacquer thinner works to some extent, also. Acetone does nothing.
10. Use the scraper to attach the film on the outer window. The butyl is onl top of the film, so a good hard scrape will remove the butyl with the film. What's left is the film adhesive, which is water-soluble, Use your non-scratchy scratchy sponge to get it off.

Youcan tell this is an "after" photo with the butyl mostly removed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7416 tools and glass-s.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	49984

One comment about the "you can't take it apart because you'll introduce humid air..." remark. Probably true, but a few drops of condensation can't look as bad as these windows do now. Plus, the absolute level of water in the air when it's cold is low. You can fix this problem by throwing a few beads of desicant between the panes (that's what those little gold beads are that you can see in the production windows) as you are closing it up or, if you have access, you can blow some dry nitrogen between them as you're closing. In any event, we are going to find out how bad that problem is pretty soon (one hopes).

Still waiting on the new butyl to arrive,
Zep
Old 11-27-2007, 08:48 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Butyl arrived!

Woohoo, got the samples today. The butyl is interesting--I looked to see the rubber shim rod in the cross section of the butyl, but couldn't. However, you can feel it--the color match is so perfect that if the glass is clamped together so tightly that the butyl is squeezed away from the rod, you'd still not notice it through the glass.

The 3/16" is the right stuff. I put a couple of small lengths between the panes, slipped about 5" of gasket around the edge, and pushed the frame on. It seems like a firm fit. It will be much tougher with gasket all the way around, but I'm thinking soapy water will help slip the frame on. The only small issue I noted is that the U gasket is a little bit deeper than the frame, so the triangular edge of the gasket didn't uniformly snug itself up to the edge of the frame. This may be a slight cosmetic issue, but I don't think this is a real problem. Here's a snap of the eagerly awaited test--the white paper is waxed paper that I put on both sides of the butyl so I wouldn't have yet another struggle to get the panes apart. You can see the black edge of the gasket up next to the frame.

Name:	IMG_7430 assembled window-s.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	50057

It's going to be a week or two before I do a real window--gotta clean the glass, which is the major task of this whole project [I'm beginning to believe], decide on solar film, and get some other projects out of the way.

I also did some checking on solar film today. One place in town wanted $200 to do five panes using something they call "house film," which is a UV and IR reflector. It turns out tha most of the window tint they put on these days is for low riders and limos--the darker the better. So I'm thinking it would be good to pay attention and get the house stuff, not the limo stuff.

The first open question is, should it be silvered/mirrored or just plain film? Would you have to keep your Airstream specially polished if you had mirrored windows? The second question is, is this a DIY task or not? Once the panes are assembled in the frame, there's no going back to fix a problem. On the other hand, the "lifetime" warranty on the film isn't going to do you any good when the vendor sees that it's now inside Ft Knox.

Zep
Old 11-27-2007, 09:38 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Zep, et al,
MEK= methyl ethyl ketone? Is this available in hardware store?
Any sources for the silver film?
Where can you get nitrogen? Aerosol?

By the way,
I spoke to a window shop and they told me I will not be able to get a complete seal and there will always be some condensation problem. I plan to wait for a real low humidity day, which in NM should not be too long, to put it back together. I love doing what the "experts", like mothership tell me can't be done. The window pro guys I talked to use argon instead of nitrogen.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:19 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Yep on the MEK and you can get it at any hardware store.

I suggested nitrogen because it's sorta a standard industrial gas--Argon is for the E-window pros. I'm not going to do anything like that, just wait for a low humidity day.

the solar films are available at most auto windshield tinting shops. I bet you can buy a roll if it in Albuquerque. You probably want the adhesive kind--more permanent than the water-film type. They both go on with water.

Zep
Old 11-28-2007, 07:50 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Would it make any difference if you only put the film on the exposed surface of the inside glass, so if you don't like it it can be removed without disasembly of the entire window?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:52 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
... put the film on the exposed surface of the inside glass, ...
I don't know. I've thought about that solution, but my concern is how the reflection of radiation from that surface back into the cavity would affect total window thermal performance. I don't know how these films work. My exerienc from 25 years ago is that glass with solar film on the inside (typical car installation) gets hot. So, is the film really reflecting the radiation or is it merely acting as a shade (trapping the energy and heating the glass)?

If it's a shade, I'd prefer the outer window to be hot and the inner one less so. If the film is a good reflector, then it probably doesn't matter.

This film was popularized due to hot summer cars in the SW. I'd sure like to see data on whether the interior of a sitting car was cooler with the film. That would confirm that it's reflective. If the sitting car is the same temp, but the moving car is cooler, then the film must really be a shading device, since that would heat the window but the moving air past a moving vehicle would more easily remove that heat. I think I'll look for some data...

Decision, decisions...

Zep
Old 11-28-2007, 02:35 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The film I mentioned in a above reply Solar Film is meant to be applied to the inside of the window without disassembly
Old 11-28-2007, 04:12 PM   #53
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Would it make any difference if you only put the film on the exposed surface of the inside glass, so if you don't like it it can be removed without disasembly of the entire window?
The stuff I was looking at made for home installation is applied in this manner--on the exposed inside surface of the glass inside the home. All of our windows in our home are double pane. So does that mean that we can assume it's safe to apply it in the Airstream this way? Hummmm.....

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 11-28-2007, 06:06 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There are films commonly available that can be applied to the glass on the inside window surface without disassembling the window. See my post dated 11/14 above
Old 11-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #55
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
I just did all 3 vista views on my 1975, lucky I had the plexiglass inner window, I used long nose pliers to grip the inner retainer, it snapped right out. The big effort was getting the plastic coating off the glass, ended up I used a razor scraper and goof off. Finally used 1/4 inch weather stripping foam from Wal-Mart for a gasket, don't see why it wll not work, sure went back together nice and tight. Now I got two large windows with bubbles all over.
Jim in Pima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:02 PM   #56
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
Home Depot has the sun blocking films at a decent price, did all my house and used the leftovers to do another camper, works wonderfull in AZ sun
Jim in Pima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:46 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Progress today:

1. Bought the Platinum heat control film at HD -- like $30.

2. Got the window apart (it's a "test" window, one of the narrow ones). Small didn't mean it took less time. As a matter of fact, even though there were small bubbles in the film, it was stuck tight to the glass and in good shape. Getting it off was a trial compared to the previous two large windows. It seemed logical that a very strong wood scraper would work best, but in the end it turned out that a single-edge razor blade was far more effective.

Name:	IMG_7573 small bubbles-s.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	50448

3. The weather striping comes off easy with a dull chisel. It's also easier to clean the residual glue off the frame if you do it before you take the window apart. You can see the rivets that need to be drilled out in an earlier post.

Name:	IMG_7574 remove weatherstripping-s.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	50449

4. Good News! GOOF OFF (petroleum solvent based) and GOO GONE (citrus based) are much better at removing residual butyl and glue than MEK. Much better. Did I say much better?

5. Once the frame is off, you have to strip away the foil tape and then gently pry the glass apart and dig the butyl out from between the panes. You'd think it would peel apart, but most of the circumference has to be dug out--just be careful not to stress the glass with an edge of the screwdriver.

Name:	IMG_7576 silver tape-s.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	50450Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7578 digging butyl-s.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	50451

6. The dimension of the inner glass is smaller than the outter glass by about 3/32 on the long edges and 5/32 on the short edges. When I did the trial with the new gasket (see earlier post), the gasket did not pull down tight to the frame on the inside and this dimensional difference is the reason. I think this can be helped by putting the butyl right at the edge of the outer window, which hopefully will make a nice filler for the gasket. It isn't easy to see, but this is the inner glass lying on top of the outer glass. It is interesting that the inner glass has more curvature (at least in this pair of panes), so the gap at either end is about 1/4". You can force the panes together with one hand at each end, but it doesn't feel comfortable. Ick. I hope this doesn't make taping the panes together difficult. I intend to use heat duct foil tape all the way around, slit lengthwise so the width is appropriate.

Name:	IMG_7581 dimensions-s.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	50452

7. The film goes on easily. However, handling the film before it goes on is really a two-person job, if you want to avoid creases and dust on the surface. One person can do it if you build a small frame to help hold the film while you wet it and strip off the clear protective layer. I used the recommended attaching fluid, but I think water with a tiny bit of detergent would work. Once you squeegee it on, you need to trim the edge. I kept two of the existing edges just inside the edge of the glass so I'd only have to trim two sides. The trim line isn't critical (I think) because it will be under the butyl and hidden by the gasket.

Name:	IMG_7582 squeegee-s.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	50453Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7583 trimmed edge-s.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	50454

8. The finished product is not as "platinum" as I expected and not as reflective as it appears in the photo. More than plain glass, but certainly not California Highway Patrol sunglasses! The tint of the film looks darker in the photo than to my eye.

Name:	IMG_7587 reflection-s.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	50456

9. Bummer time--the directions says the glue "cures" in a week to 10 days. I tried to use a heat gun for a few minutes, thinking "warm and dry=cured." NOPE! Put the butyl on about half way around and wound up pulling the film away from the edge. This stuff is pretty forgiving--peel it up, spray, and squeegee again and you're good to go. You can remove trapped crud if you need to.

Name:	IMG_7585 film and butyl-s.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	50455

10. Second Bummer--you can see in a photo of the trimmed edge, above, that I got a fair amount of dust under the film. And the film is slightly abraided just from rubbing around in the box, not to mention a couple of tiny crinkles while I was cutting and fitting it. But I think this will be good enough if the film sticks down tight in a few days.

More after the glue cures...
Zep
Old 12-06-2007, 04:02 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Why inside?

I decided to put the film between the panes for a couple of reasons:

1. Protects the film.

2. Hides the trimmed edge.

3. Prevents the edge from getting free and peeling.

4. But the real reason is that I remember from years ago in Phoenix that the film makes the glass significantly hotter in the sun than glass without film. I want the hot pane to be "outside."

5. If I want more tint or reflectivity, I can add another layer inside of the inside pane. The spec sheet for this stuff says "safe for all double pane windows." But don't put it on plexiglass or on "automotive" glass--I assume it doesn't pass the clear vision test. The real killer is it says "don't apply to glass more than 40 years old!" What the heck is that?

Zep
Old 12-06-2007, 05:13 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Zep,
You are a tough act to follow up, king of the aluminum jive, a mean motorsicel and a badd go getter.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:27 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
If you want to make a noble effort you can use Argon-so called because when you look for it a few weeks later it are gone.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote