Old 07-17-2014, 08:48 PM   #155
2 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
I measured the ID of the hole at around 0.122. I believe that makes it a 1/8 (with some error in my measurement). Is my only option bucking them in?

Sorry for the dumb questions. New to riveting.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:42 AM   #156
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66replica View Post
I measured the ID of the hole at around 0.122. I believe that makes it a 1/8 (with some error in my measurement). Is my only option bucking them in?

Sorry for the dumb questions. New to riveting.
Those small head rivets are indeed, 1/8 inch in diameter.

We use them often.

Andy

Old 07-19-2014, 12:49 PM   #157
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66replica View Post
... Is my only option bucking them in?...
You can use a pop rivet, but it's not recommended.
Z
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:12 PM   #158
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Florida , Florida
Nominating this thread for the Airforums Hall of fame,
Old 03-19-2015, 10:22 AM   #159

From the stress I had to put on it to get the frame closed, I would advise against even considering using pop rivets to put it back together.

Zep[/QUOTE]

Hi zep I'm new to the airstream world and am so thankful for this thread! I just bought 75 sovereign 31ft I was wondering exactly what size rivets you used to secure the windows back together as well as the rivets you used for the hinge to put that back on the window frame? Thanks again for creating this awesome thread!
Old 03-20-2015, 05:09 AM   #160
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Marietta , 30064
I used aluminum pop rivets back in April 2013. They are still holding together, but they are a little bit ugly looking.

The size of pop rivets that fit are the ones that leave a little hole in their head when the rivet pops. Inside the trailer, rivet pop holes are not a big deal. Nearly all the rivets inside the trailer have a pop hole. Outside the trailer, though, those pop holes let water in. (Why oh why can't water have to follow vampire rules?)

I had to inject some goo to seal the rivet pop holes in my windows. That left my window rivets somewhat ugly looking. "Someday" I will replace my windows' pop rivets, right after I've done all that other stuff I need to do (such as learning how to buck rivets, which is the reason I went with pop rivets).

Don't be like me with something on the "to-do but probably never will do" list when your window project's done. Use buck rivets for reassembly! The first time!!!
Old 03-20-2015, 09:11 AM   #161
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Northwest , Ohio
We just did the windows on a 75 Sovereign 31'. Let me say first it was not an easy project.....

Ordered 1/4 LBS of 1/8" rivets from Aircraft Spruce, their part number and description off the order was "AN470A-4-8 MS20470A-4-8 SOLID ALUM RIVETS".

These were perfect for the windows. The length was long for reattaching the hinge but we just cut them off to shorten them.......

I also purchased a new a 1/8" rivet set "12-02319 2.5" STRAIGHT RIVET 1/8""....

The whole order was under $20 and that was more than enough rivets......
Old 03-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioLou View Post
We just did the windows on a 75 Sovereign 31'. Let me say first it was not an easy project.....

Ordered 1/4 LBS of 1/8" rivets from Aircraft Spruce, their part number and description off the order was "AN470A-4-8 MS20470A-4-8 SOLID ALUM RIVETS".

These were perfect for the windows. The length was long for reattaching the hinge but we just cut them off to shorten them.......

I also purchased a new a 1/8" rivet set "12-02319 2.5" STRAIGHT RIVET 1/8""....

The whole order was under $20 and that was more than enough rivets......

Are these a pop rivet? If so how did they hold up. With water proofing
Old 03-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #163
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Northwest , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadashnaw View Post
Are these a pop rivet? If so how did they hold up. With water proofing
No, Bucks ...
Old 01-26-2016, 09:16 PM   #164
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
North Fort Myers , Florida
Petroleum jelly and KY are the same thing. One is ageneric chemival name a d KY is a trade name. Petroleum jelly is actually called petrolatum in the chemistry field.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:31 PM   #165
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLBIJOU View Post
Petroleum jelly and KY are the same thing. One is ageneric chemival name a d KY is a trade name. Petroleum jelly is actually called petrolatum in the chemistry field.
Ummm... not that I'm the expert, but I think they're different.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:32 PM   #166
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
This butyl everyone speaks of is called Polyshim II, made by Tremco,inc. it comes in three different thicknesses, 1/8, 3/16 and 1/4 ich. I searched and searched and called and called!The only place I found that sells by the single roll was All Glass Parts, Inc. In Edmunton, Alberta, CA. They also had the u glazinggaskets. I used the 1/2x 5/8 x 1/2. I bought 5 rolls and 40 ft of the u channel and cost about $90 USD with the exchange including shipping.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:06 AM   #167

1975 31' Sovereign
Mount Juliet , Tennessee
Tremco at Vintage Trailer Supply

Vintage Trailer Supply has PolyShim II in stock. Here's my order details.

Code Item Qty Price Grand Total

VTS-634L Polyshim II Butyl Tape - 3/16" Thick X 25 Feet

$19.00

I'm rebuilding the double pane wing windows on my 75 Sovereign this weekend. Will post results.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:50 AM   #168
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd37 View Post
I used aluminum pop rivets back in April 2013. They are still holding together, but they are a little bit ugly looking.

The size of pop rivets that fit are the ones that leave a little hole in their head when the rivet pops. Inside the trailer, rivet pop holes are not a big deal. Nearly all the rivets inside the trailer have a pop hole. Outside the trailer, though, those pop holes let water in. (Why oh why can't water have to follow vampire rules?)

I had to inject some goo to seal the rivet pop holes in my windows. That left my window rivets somewhat ugly looking. "Someday" I will replace my windows' pop rivets, right after I've done all that other stuff I need to do (such as learning how to buck rivets, which is the reason I went with pop rivets).

Don't be like me with something on the "to-do but probably never will do" list when your window project's done. Use buck rivets for reassembly! The first time!!!
I believe the use squeeze rivets to put the window hinge back on. I bought them from Inland RV. These rivets can be bucked but are designed to be squeezed. The"squeezing" can be done with the manual hand held squeezer (about $80/amazon) or a pneumatic type which are $300-500 for the cheap one. Search for the video on YouTube using squeeze rivets.