Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
removing windows for gasket replacement

So I've read a few threads where some people mention disengaging the control arms or rod that attach to the windows and allow you to open them but I can't find anything in here about HOW you do that without going through a lot of crap-not that I'm not used to going through a lot of crap on this beast but c'mon. There's got to be a trick or a special tool to disengage that arm from the window. Our 69 has what appear to be two lock washers or one lock washer and one brass washer that clips into the end of that arm. Ours are original and have most likely never been taken off so they are on there good. I soaked them with some liquid wrench and tried prying them of but they are too tight to get a thin tool in to gain leverage to pull them off. Then I tried vise grips to apply pressure on it but it was hard to get a good spot without scratching the thing. This method worked well enough to get a tool in between the window frame and the washer so I could pry it apart but the whole time I'm thinking and saying "there's gotta be a better way or a special tool or something. all I need to do is put new gaskets on. Some of our windows were missing these so we replaced them with single stainless thicker lock washers that will be easier to get off. I'm sure someone has done this and has some tips or tricks-I'm hoping. Any advice would be much appreciated.

It is impossible to achieve the aim without suffering-unknown source from a Robert Fripp album-
rayandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Jupiter , Florida
Oh man I was hoping some one replied to you....I have the same problem.....
I just thought it was because i was a small women.....at least i know
its not just me....
michele19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
The windows on the 69s and others are tricky.

On the arm it self us a press on ring. It slides on and off. Yes you might scratch up the arm trying to get it on and off. I put a small wrench on the back side and slowly tapped it off. If you loose the ring or break it you can by more. Most hardware stores or auto parts carry them. Sadly that's the easy part.

Once the arms are off, you have to tilt the window way way up, something like 160 degrees. Then the window can be popped out of the track. Getting it back in is a real chore. From reports its a 2-3 man job. I have been putting off this job for a while. From what I've been told, you have to re install the window at the same angle you took it out. It's curved, so you have to put the side in the track first then pop in the center by hitting it with the palm of you hand or a rubber mallet. One window did fell off in my had as the rivets finally failed. So I used pop rivets from the back side, topped with probond. They look odd but it works.

Now the gasket is usually placed on the window frame, but it can be placed on the sash. It's not considered the best way, but it has been working for me.

I left the window in place, scraped off the old gasket, and adjusted the latches. Keep and eye on these, they can be tricky. Here is where I placed the new gaskets. When the dry season comes, I might stir up enough courage to pull them out and do the correctly. Also the VAP discussed this process awhile back. Collin did a good job explaining how to do it.

I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-530225585.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	191420  
Old 07-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
It's just nigh impossible to get those little buggers back on. Drill a small hole through the end of the rod and put in a small cotter pin with a washer
Old 07-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
It's just nigh impossible to get those little buggers back on. Drill a small hole through the end of the rod and put in a small cotter pin with a washer
Yep tricky. I would lock the ring in the vice grips, and then tap them on with a hammer. Ever so gently..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1332220693.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	191421