Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2004, 05:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
Question Removing window frames..'68 Overlander????

Hey! Does anyone know how to remove the window frames on a 1968 Overlander?? I'd sure appreciate any help. Any past experience with putting in the glass would be appreciated, too. Thanks in advance!!

Becky
Old 05-17-2004, 08:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Get out your drill

Why do you want to remove the frames? Occasionally people think you need to remove the frame to replace the glass. Actually, glass replacement on a '68 is fairly easy and involves only removing the old glass from the hinge.

The hinge forms a sort of clamp that holds the glass in place. (See picture.) First, detach the arm that cranks the window open, so the window hinge swings freely.

Then, look on the underside of the hinge clamp and remove the screws that hold the hinge parts together. Then pry the hinge clamp apart. It's a bit tricky and you might not believe it comes apart, but it does. See the little jagged teeth in the center of the picture? That's the top half of the hinge clamp. The bottom half is so dirty in this picture you can't see the opposite teeth, but they're there.

Put the new window in between the two sets of teeth, and secure with double-sided tape and/or silicone (yes, this is one of the few places that silicone is OK to use). Press the hinge pieces together and re-attach the screws.

Removing the frame is a whole 'nother problem. It's held in by rivets, top and bottom. You'll have to drill out ALL those rivets to get the frame out. But why do this unless the frame is irreparably damaged?

-- RL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dcp_1765 small.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	6651  

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 10:10 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Carbondale , Colorado
One frame missing...need to replace both.

RL

Thanks! I will have to try this. I've just bought a 1968 Overlander that I haven't actually gotten to see yet. Only from the e-mailed pictures. One of the frames is missing. Along with two broken curved windows.

This will be my first A/S and I am so excited to be getting it. All of you are so wonderful and helpful!

On this forum, there was a salvage A/S found just like mine. And I had asked if the finder of that could get me the frame. But....if removing the frame is a 'nother problem, what do you suggest? Are new frames available for the curved windows?

I need to haul this A/S for about 12 hours to get it home. I really didn't think it would be good to travel that far with a HOLE in his side. I could cover it up temporarily...in fact that's probably what I will have to do. Any suggestions for that, as well?

Thanks so much!! (picture was printed out and your directions!)
Becky
Old 05-18-2004, 06:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Becky.

Look at part numbers 71021, 71036 and 71040, in the parts section of our web site, inlandrv.com

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote