Old 01-18-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Removed window - can't reinstall

I've been removing windows to replace gaskets/seals. I got to one that seems to have a slight kink in the track that the window clips into at the top. I can't seem to get the hinge to fit back in because of this. Any suggestions? I spent 45 min. trying to force it in but I don't want to bend the hinge.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
I've been removing windows to replace gaskets/seals. I got to one that seems to have a slight kink in the track that the window clips into at the top. I can't seem to get the hinge to fit back in because of this. Any suggestions? I spent 45 min. trying to force it in but I don't want to bend the hinge.
For the front and rear window, it takes 2 people to reinstall it.

Raise the window high. Each person engages each end. Then the taller or person with the longer arms, hits the center of the hinge on the window with their fist, to pop it in place.

When the window is positioned just right, the center part of that hinge will then engage.

SLOWLY lower the window and watch the hinge like a super hawk. If the hinge is binding, start over, by going up a little higher.

Again, slowly lower the window, and observe what the hinge is doing in the middle. If the hinge has engaged ok, then the window will lower without any resistance.

CAUTION If you bend either half of the hinge, you have a problem. Typically the window hinge may bend. If so, get the window on a bench and straighten the hinge, and start over.

One person cannot, without a huge risk, install the front or rear window, and sometimes not even a large curved window.

Good luck, take your time, AND be patient.

Andy

Old 01-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
I actually did the rear window by myself! : ) One side does look it bent slightly. I will water-test it for leaks to be sure. The window I am having trouble with is a side window. I will get some help putting it in. Maybe the two of us carefully working it will get it in...Question about hinges. One of the hinges on another window has separated slightly from the window frame on one side. Are those rivets holding them on? One is loose. I can wiggle it freely. What should I do?
Old 01-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I actually did the rear window by myself! : ) One side does look it bent slightly. I will water-test it for leaks to be sure. The window I am having trouble with is a side window. I will get some help putting it in. Maybe the two of us carefully working it will get it in...Question about hinges. One of the hinges on another window has separated slightly from the window frame on one side. Are those rivets holding them on? One is loose. I can wiggle it freely. What should I do?
Tighten every rivet that's loose.

You may have to remove the gasket in order to do that properly. If so, do it.

If the gasket has aged out, then replace it.

You can only use small buck rivets for the hinge. Pop rivets and Olympic rivets would cause more damage.

Andy
Old 01-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
I am assuming you don't have ready access to buck rivets, if any of the rivets break when you take the window out, you can use pop rivets to replace them. However, when you install the pop rivets, make sure you put them through from the back side of the window/hinge so the head faces in. If not, the expanding part of the rivet will crush against the window frame.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:36 AM   #6

1971 25' Tradewind
Cottonwood , Idaho
Wait, so can pop rivets be used to reattach the hinge to the window frame? Or will the pop rivets really do more damage, as Andy said? I know this is kind of an old thread, but I am in the process of replacing all the weatherstripping on our 71 Tradewind. In the process of taking out the rear window, 4 or 5 of the rivets broke in half on the J hinge. I have been wondering how to reattach the hinge back onto the window frame. Still have 4 of 7 windows to go, so still a little time left to "wonder."

I am a new AS owner (1 yr), and to forums. Already have learned so much from the conversations and wealth of info here.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Bean View Post
Wait, so can pop rivets be used to reattach the hinge to the window frame? Or will the pop rivets really do more damage, as Andy said? I know this is kind of an old thread, but I am in the process of replacing all the weatherstripping on our 71 Tradewind. In the process of taking out the rear window, 4 or 5 of the rivets broke in half on the J hinge. I have been wondering how to reattach the hinge back onto the window frame. Still have 4 of 7 windows to go, so still a little time left to "wonder."

I am a new AS owner (1 yr), and to forums. Already have learned so much from the conversations and wealth of info here.
You can use pop rivets,but they must be installed backwards so that the head of the rivet will be covered by the gasket.

Small buck rivets of course are the best for the looks.

Andy
Old 07-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Before attempting to fit the window, clean the lip on the window of any and all corrosion; I used a small stainless brush and Scotch-Brite pad. Then lubricate the lip with silicone spray front and back, applied w/ a rag.

Installation should be done slowly and carefully. The material that forms the window frame may not be perfectly straight in the plane of the window, and the window may need to move slightly in the gasket. Three people can be very useful in this case; one at either end (probably on ladders) supporting the window and one in the center, pressing on a wood block against whatever part of the hinge is not slipping into position as observed by the folks at the ends.

This can be somewhat tension producing, so relax and take your time.

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
This is an old thread, but I STILL have not gotten the window in place. Oddly enough, I picked up a tool today that will hopefully help straighten out the kink in the track that the window clips into. If that doesn't work, then I am just going to have to remove the track, repair and then reinstall -- could be a big project.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
You'll need a 20" 2 x 4 for a medium window and a 30" 2 x 4 for a large window, 2 people and a 3# sledge hammer, tap the hinge into the mating hinge while someone holds the window at a little above 90 degrees.
Greg
2005 Chevrolet SSR 6.0 LS2
airstreamlosangeles.com
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Burnsville , North Carolina
This may be an old thread but it sure is useful. The Forum continues to amaze me with the breadth of its shared knowledge. Thanks!
Bill
Old 03-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Forgot to follow-up on this. I ended up replacing the "eyebrow" frame on mine with one off a salvaged '70s Airstream. It seems mine was kinked in a way that I couldn't get the window back in.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
You can use pop rivets,but they must be installed backwards so that the head of the rivet will be covered by the gasket.

Small buck rivets of course are the best for the looks.

Andy
I know that this is on old post...

Are these installed backward so the gasket seals the pop rivets, or would the pop rivets keep the widow from closing? Thanks !
Old 12-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
I know that this is on old post...

Are these installed backward so the gasket seals the pop rivets, or would the pop rivets keep the widow from closing? Thanks !
The pop rivets would keep the window from closing, as well as damaging the hinge.

Andy