Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-18-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
 
adwriter73's Avatar
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 352
Images: 9
Removed window - can't reinstall

I've been removing windows to replace gaskets/seals. I got to one that seems to have a slight kink in the track that the window clips into at the top. I can't seem to get the hinge to fit back in because of this. Any suggestions? I spent 45 min. trying to force it in but I don't want to bend the hinge.
__________________

__________________
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
I've been removing windows to replace gaskets/seals. I got to one that seems to have a slight kink in the track that the window clips into at the top. I can't seem to get the hinge to fit back in because of this. Any suggestions? I spent 45 min. trying to force it in but I don't want to bend the hinge.
For the front and rear window, it takes 2 people to reinstall it.

Raise the window high. Each person engages each end. Then the taller or person with the longer arms, hits the center of the hinge on the window with their fist, to pop it in place.

When the window is positioned just right, the center part of that hinge will then engage.

SLOWLY lower the window and watch the hinge like a super hawk. If the hinge is binding, start over, by going up a little higher.

Again, slowly lower the window, and observe what the hinge is doing in the middle. If the hinge has engaged ok, then the window will lower without any resistance.

CAUTION If you bend either half of the hinge, you have a problem. Typically the window hinge may bend. If so, get the window on a bench and straighten the hinge, and start over.

One person cannot, without a huge risk, install the front or rear window, and sometimes not even a large curved window.

Good luck, take your time, AND be patient.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
adwriter73's Avatar
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 352
Images: 9
I actually did the rear window by myself! : ) One side does look it bent slightly. I will water-test it for leaks to be sure. The window I am having trouble with is a side window. I will get some help putting it in. Maybe the two of us carefully working it will get it in...Question about hinges. One of the hinges on another window has separated slightly from the window frame on one side. Are those rivets holding them on? One is loose. I can wiggle it freely. What should I do?
__________________
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
I actually did the rear window by myself! : ) One side does look it bent slightly. I will water-test it for leaks to be sure. The window I am having trouble with is a side window. I will get some help putting it in. Maybe the two of us carefully working it will get it in...Question about hinges. One of the hinges on another window has separated slightly from the window frame on one side. Are those rivets holding them on? One is loose. I can wiggle it freely. What should I do?
Tighten every rivet that's loose.

You may have to remove the gasket in order to do that properly. If so, do it.

If the gasket has aged out, then replace it.

You can only use small buck rivets for the hinge. Pop rivets and Olympic rivets would cause more damage.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
I actually did the rear window by myself! : ) One side does look it bent slightly. I will water-test it for leaks to be sure. The window I am having trouble with is a side window. I will get some help putting it in. Maybe the two of us carefully working it will get it in...Question about hinges. One of the hinges on another window has separated slightly from the window frame on one side. Are those rivets holding them on? One is loose. I can wiggle it freely. What should I do?
I am assuming you don't have ready access to buck rivets, if any of the rivets break when you take the window out, you can use pop rivets to replace them. However, when you install the pop rivets, make sure you put them through from the back side of the window/hinge so the head faces in. If not, the expanding part of the rivet will crush against the window frame.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:36 AM   #6
New Member
 
1971 25' Tradewind
Cottonwood , Idaho
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1
Wait, so can pop rivets be used to reattach the hinge to the window frame? Or will the pop rivets really do more damage, as Andy said? I know this is kind of an old thread, but I am in the process of replacing all the weatherstripping on our 71 Tradewind. In the process of taking out the rear window, 4 or 5 of the rivets broke in half on the J hinge. I have been wondering how to reattach the hinge back onto the window frame. Still have 4 of 7 windows to go, so still a little time left to "wonder."

I am a new AS owner (1 yr), and to forums. Already have learned so much from the conversations and wealth of info here.
__________________
Magic Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Bean View Post
Wait, so can pop rivets be used to reattach the hinge to the window frame? Or will the pop rivets really do more damage, as Andy said? I know this is kind of an old thread, but I am in the process of replacing all the weatherstripping on our 71 Tradewind. In the process of taking out the rear window, 4 or 5 of the rivets broke in half on the J hinge. I have been wondering how to reattach the hinge back onto the window frame. Still have 4 of 7 windows to go, so still a little time left to "wonder."

I am a new AS owner (1 yr), and to forums. Already have learned so much from the conversations and wealth of info here.
You can use pop rivets,but they must be installed backwards so that the head of the rivet will be covered by the gasket.

Small buck rivets of course are the best for the looks.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
Maniacal Engineer
 
barts's Avatar
 
1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,223
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 4
Before attempting to fit the window, clean the lip on the window of any and all corrosion; I used a small stainless brush and Scotch-Brite pad. Then lubricate the lip with silicone spray front and back, applied w/ a rag.

Installation should be done slowly and carefully. The material that forms the window frame may not be perfectly straight in the plane of the window, and the window may need to move slightly in the gasket. Three people can be very useful in this case; one at either end (probably on ladders) supporting the window and one in the center, pressing on a wood block against whatever part of the hinge is not slipping into position as observed by the folks at the ends.

This can be somewhat tension producing, so relax and take your time.

- Bart
__________________
Bart Smaalders
Menlo Park, CA
http://tinpickle.blogspot.com
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
 
adwriter73's Avatar
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 352
Images: 9
This is an old thread, but I STILL have not gotten the window in place. Oddly enough, I picked up a tool today that will hopefully help straighten out the kink in the track that the window clips into. If that doesn't work, then I am just going to have to remove the track, repair and then reinstall -- could be a big project.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
 
1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 189
You'll need a 20" 2 x 4 for a medium window and a 30" 2 x 4 for a large window, 2 people and a 3# sledge hammer, tap the hinge into the mating hinge while someone holds the window at a little above 90 degrees.
Greg
__________________
1960 Tradewind
2007 Denali 6.2
2005 ST 1300 ABS
2005 Chevrolet SSR 6.0 LS2
airstreamlosangeles.com
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
 
1970 31' Sovereign
Burnsville , North Carolina
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 60
This may be an old thread but it sure is useful. The Forum continues to amaze me with the breadth of its shared knowledge. Thanks!
Bill
__________________
CeloNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member
 
adwriter73's Avatar
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 352
Images: 9
Forgot to follow-up on this. I ended up replacing the "eyebrow" frame on mine with one off a salvaged '70s Airstream. It seems mine was kinked in a way that I couldn't get the window back in.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
Silverflames's Avatar

 
1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
You can use pop rivets,but they must be installed backwards so that the head of the rivet will be covered by the gasket.

Small buck rivets of course are the best for the looks.

Andy
I know that this is on old post...

Are these installed backward so the gasket seals the pop rivets, or would the pop rivets keep the widow from closing? Thanks !
__________________
Silverflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
I know that this is on old post...

Are these installed backward so the gasket seals the pop rivets, or would the pop rivets keep the widow from closing? Thanks !
The pop rivets would keep the window from closing, as well as damaging the hinge.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'97 Safari 25' - reinstall of couch & jacks mkrushr 1997 Safari 2 07-21-2017 08:04 AM
What to use to reinstall black trim? whitelight Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim 4 03-02-2010 09:28 AM
Removed awning... WILDRTEXAS Awnings 10 12-03-2009 07:47 PM
New vinyl walls before reinstall? Minno Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes 10 08-07-2009 05:19 PM
Has any one just removed.... tyndalelady Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes 4 01-26-2006 12:12 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.