Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Windows & Screens
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
St.John's , Newfoundland
Thanks Bart. I have drilled out the rivets that held the plates to the old frame, but not sure which is the best way to proceed...do I try to remove the arms from the old plates,and rivet them back on to the new frame, or try to get the knobs off the other end of the arms, which are still stuck thru the screening..it doesn't look like the arms want to come off the old plates easily..
NfldAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Those arms can be a real PIA. There is a small round bodied slightly recessed "C" clip holding the arm to the plate, that is riveted to the window frame. About half of those plates broke off removing the windows, so as I replaced the seals on the windows I have been replacing all the rivets that are attaching the various plates to the window frame. I used a small cutoff wheel to cut the clips. I then replaced them a 1/4" SS clip that I purchased from McMaster-Carr. The knobs have a set screw on the bottom side, remove the set screw and then fight the knobs off, they will come off though. I re-riveted the brackets back onto the window frame with MS20270AD4-4 rivets

I also replaced all of the window "Hold Open Brackets" because all of mine were broke.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #23
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
On our 1971 some of the windows had a different method of retaining the arms into the plates. The apparently original ones used a C-ring; the repaired ones have some kind of push nut that I've not needed to remove, so I'm unsure of the internals. The C-ring grooves seemed a bit underwelming (rounded edges, shallow) to me compared to the grooves used for proper C-clips, so while I had the arms off to regasket the windows I drilled the ends for a small stainless cotter pin, which seems a lot more secure to me and could be done without straightening the end of the arm to remachine the groove in the lathe.

Note in the attached image various retaining rings; my original windows have something similar to the ring on the lower right. A proper outside retaining ring like the ones on the top row would be more secure but would require a sharp bottomed groove; the three on the lower left would do nicely as well - these can push on rather than slip over the end.

- Bart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	821.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	177012  
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
St.John's , Newfoundland
Thanks for the quick replies, folks. The arms appear to be attached to the old plates by the push-nut method. I did not see any circlips. But knowing that the knobs on the other end are held there by set screws is a great help. I figured they might have been cast on there somehow..the next issue is the cam lever closures( or whatever they're called) on the new frame.The new ones don't line up so well with the originals . All that being said,I'm just happy to have a window in there for the winter instead of the old plastic. Thankfully the window had only been broken for a couple of weeks before I found the trailer patiently waiting for me to come along and give it a new home.
This is my second AS, having foolishly sold the first one( 1973 25' Overlander) that was almost in perfect condition, which is rare here on the East Coast.
Thanks again for your help...Sean
NfldAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Tecumseh , Kansas
I have been searching the threads and I'm sure I've missed it but trying to figure out how to install small lower window in front end of 1970 Sovereign. Believe it or not, we had a bad wind storm and our neighbors large trash can blew into the window and broke it out. We had a piece of glass made for the window but have had the hardest time trying to get it back in place. Took inside frame off but still can't get into place. What's the secret? We are learning as we go so sorry for ridiculous inquiry.
Candice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Are you talking about the small oval window right next to the door?
Old 05-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
We have 1967 Caravel and need to check the back window we have been having some water leakage and we are missing the middle clip on the bottom of the window. We are newbies and have already spent money on other repairs. Could anyone help with step by step instructions. Or maybe where we could find a how to video. Any help is much appreciated.

Cat
ctarochione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctarochione View Post
We have 1967 Caravel and need to check the back window we have been having some water leakage and we are missing the middle clip on the bottom of the window. We are newbies and have already spent money on other repairs. Could anyone help with step by step instructions. Or maybe where we could find a how to video. Any help is much appreciated.

Cat
Using the new "D" gasket would help.

Also move the outer 2 latches a lttle closer to each other. Forget the bad latch.

Those latches are no longer available, so you must make do with what you have.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Weatherford , 76086
Smile

Mircle of all miricles. Two guys on the ends of the bath window, standing on ladders, a lady in the middle pushing up on the window and we got it on the second try. Miracle.
oilcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilcan View Post
Mircle of all miricles. Two guys on the ends of the bath window, standing on ladders, a lady in the middle pushing up on the window and we got it on the second try. Miracle.
Congrats!!!