Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Reflectix in windows

Has anyone ever used a sheet of Reflectix single bubble insulation between the window glass and the bug screens of their trailer? I never open the rear window of my trailer or the 2 side windows in the bedroom except to clean and silicone the rubber seals. I cut the foil looking insulation sheets to fit the window, put them in place then shut the window. They should be easy to remove to clean up the window and sheet if need be. I found that it has reduced the inside temperatures at least 8 degrees on a hot day while the 2 Fantastic Vent fans are pulling air through the side bath window.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:35 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
I cut it to shape, but place it on the inside of the AS. It stays in place wedged between the two window lifters.

Then, since we live in South Florida, I ordered some mesh screening, cut it to size and sewed heavy duty velcro on the mesh and place velcro tabs on the windows outside, and put those on too. The company said that it keeps a lot of the heat from entering the AS.

We just returned from a 5 day trip, all in Florida with temperatures in the 90s.
We have the FB, so with the big windows, we need all the help we can get to cool off. The mesh is black, and when it is up, you cannot not tell it from the outside. It looks like the windows are heavily tinted.

This is probably much more information than you asked, but just couldn't stop.

Pat
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Keeping the @#$%% sunshine out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71 View Post
Has anyone ever used a sheet of Reflectix single bubble insulation between the window glass and the bug screens of their trailer? I never open the rear window of my trailer or the 2 side windows in the bedroom except to clean and silicone the rubber seals. I cut the foil looking insulation sheets to fit the window, put them in place then shut the window. They should be easy to remove to clean up the window and sheet if need be. I found that it has reduced the inside temperatures at least 8 degrees on a hot day while the 2 Fantastic Vent fans are pulling air through the side bath window.
Hi Craig,

Yes, as I type this it is 95+ outside on its way to 100+ (again) today; ya, I'm in our 30' Classic. We are "camped" at my in laws in southern Oregon.

We have been using "Space Blankets" that we cut to fit each window in the trailer. If the window opens, it goes between the glass and the screen shinny side facing the sun. Otherwise it is placed in the window recess inside the trailer.

While this has been effective we have learned that the bubble material with silver backing that is used for vehicle windshield sun blocks offers more heat blocking power. We are in the process of converting to this material; at the minute it is in place in our ceiling skylights and our fantastic fan. We buy the largest windshield sun block we can get at Wally World and then my wife cuts it to shape and sews a border around it to offer a bit of protection.

This works well when we are in the trailer OR on the road.

I had not thought about the sun block fabric that is sold to cover windows of buildings as Pat mentioned in the previous post. I don't know why not. My in laws have a huge (10' x15') window in their dinning room that gets full morning sun. Before they had a roll down shade made of this type of fabric the house got so hot that it was very difficult to cool it. Now that this has been installed the house stays a good 20+ degrees cooler without air conditioning.

I think we will consider the idea of using some of the shade cloth on the outside of the windows when we are parked. That should be just another big step to giving our AC units a bit longer life expectancy.

Thanks for posting this and thanks to Pat for the idea...

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Here's our solution

These were made out of a roll of insulation. They are attached via snaps (where there are snaps on the MH) or Velcro. They work much better on the outside of the glass than inside. These were put together in a hurry for a trip, we'll round the corners and Marian will sew some binding around the edges when we get home.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P7150098.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	730.0 KB
ID:	63687

Name:	P7150099.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	793.2 KB
ID:	63688

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
These are great ideas guys i can't wait to tell the hubby! We are going camping in August in Missouri...ugg and this will REALLY help the aircon not labor so much and make it cooler for us at the same time..Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99 View Post
These were made out of a roll of insulation. They are attached via snaps (where there are snaps on the MH) or Velcro. They work much better on the outside of the glass than inside. These were put together in a hurry for a trip, we'll round the corners and Marian will sew some binding around the edges when we get home.

Attachment 63687

Attachment 63688
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
If you slightly open the windows - you can simply slide the precut material between the glass and the screen. Just rest the material on the window lock mechanism and then go inside, close then lock the windows. This makes for a 1 person operation.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Here are a few of the windows I put the Reflectix bubble insulation in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Reflectix 001.jpg
Views:	1287
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	63696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reflectix 002.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	63697  

Name:	Reflectix 003.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	63698  

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 07-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Outside foil bubble insulation is fine......inside use is NOT!!!!

While it will help keep the sun's rays out and the heat inside the trailer down, where do you think all of that reflected heat is going????? Right into your glass windows!!!

I have seen MoHo windshields crack from this excess heat, and I would NOT recommend that you use the bubble foil INSIDE an AS either.

I have the black mesh fabric on all of my normal windows on the CCD, and it allows you to see out while offering daytime privacy and a lot of heat reduction. Awnings also help a great deal to keep the trailer cool in the sun.

I'll post a shot as soon as I can find my camera.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Well darn, back to square one.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 07-16-2008, 07:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
I've removed the Reflectix from behind the glass and, rather than use any kind of velcro, I think I will use one inch clear suction cups. My plan is to cut a small hole to let the small shaft of the suction cups go through the Reflectix and then fasten them with either a safety pin or wire on the outside. I figure 4 of these per window should do it and there will be a slight air space between the Reflectix and the glass on the outside of the window.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 07-16-2008, 10:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71 View Post
I've removed the Reflectix from behind the glass and, rather than use any kind of velcro, I think I will use one inch clear suction cups. My plan is to cut a small hole to let the small shaft of the suction cups go through the Reflectix and then fasten them with either a safety pin or wire on the outside. I figure 4 of these per window should do it and there will be a slight air space between the Reflectix and the glass on the outside of the window.
Seems like that should work. If you get much wind you may need six cups per window (on the corners and midway down the sides).

The sun screen we have for our MH windshield is held on with BIG suction cups.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:43 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
What's breaking the window(s)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Outside foil bubble insulation is fine......inside use is NOT!!!!

<SNIPPY>
OK

Are you saying that the refection of the sun from the foil is so strong it is causing the glass to break? I am curious as to what is actually causing the glass to break?

I have seen glass in hot house roofs that did not have adequate room to expand when the temperature at the roof level was in excess of 170+ F to shatter; they remain in place because they are like auto glass with a memberane between layers of glass.

I do NOT think that the Airstream windows in our trailers are made the same way; truth be told, I have NO factual information about this and could be VERY wrong.

I am not making a negative comment about your post. I am sure what you posted is what you have experienced.

I am trying to understand what is causing the glass to break.

From what we have found so far the temperature inside the trailer when we are on the road is reduced SIGNIFICANTLY.

The same for when we are parked.

In placing my hand on the windows this past week I can tell no difference in temperature on the outside of the glass with the foil in or the foil out.

The sun heats the glass up real well. FWIW we have had 100+ F heat here in southern Oregon for some days.

Do the tinted windows in our Airstream allow UV through them? Is it a high concentration of UV that is causing the windows to break?

I would have thought that the tinted windows in our Airstream's would provide a modicum of protection from heat but I have no idea about their ability to inhibit UV rays from passing through them.

Could it be that the windows that are shattering are NOT tinted?

Jim, who really wants to know what is the root cause of the problem...

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:53 PM   #13

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We use the silver bubble insulation on every window in Lucy, and have done this she she was brand new without the slightest ill-effect. We use it on the inside, between the window and the curtain. We clip it to the curtain, and it is a couple of inches from the glass. When we want light in, we just take it out. We have rarely removed the bubble stuff from our bedroom windows. We have found that this really helps with the AC in the summer and with heat retention in the winter. We live in the Florida Panhandle where the summers are quite severe. We even use this stuff as a liner in our skylight and two Fantastic fans. We have had no fading problems on anything inside the Airstream. Lucy would not be nearly as usable without this stuff. It has been all pluses and no minuses.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote