Old 04-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Refinishing window arms '76 Globetrotter

Greetings,

I thought I knew what to do - the arms on my windows have areas of rust. I planned to take them to my sandblaster to have him blast & repaint. I found out the only way to remove the arms is to drill out the top rivet - something I don't want to do.

Andy, from Inland, in a previous post suggested lime away - I'm wondering if I'll be able to a good job with the arms in place or should I drill them out and take them to the sandblaster?

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Ken in MN

Old 04-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I haven't tried to polish window arms but I've removed rust and tarnish with Turtle auto chrome bumper cleaner and polish.

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Thanks but . . . some of the arms on mine are really deeply rusted. I do have a bottle of the rust remover (rust jelly?) that you brush on - before I try that, I'll see what kind of replies come in to my Q.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #4

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
My window arms must be different from yours.
First I opened my windows and removed the inside handle guys, by taking an allen wrench, and removing the screw from the underside of the handle. It was easier to have the windows open so I could get to the screw easier.
Then I went outside and unbolted the arm part that is connected to the upper part window.
Then I slide the arm out of the frame of the camper while I was standing outside. The arms could not come out while I was standing inside my camper.
Taking off your screens does make this job much simpler and will not tear the screen, should you accidently let the arm fall.
Then I sanded, primed and sprayed with rustoleum silver paint. I also painted the other stuff that make the windows open and lock while I was there.

Jane
Old 04-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Mine has little rivets at the top that prevent the arms from being removed. Probably when I'm in a more patient mood and the weather is warmer, I'll tackle it by drilling or grinding down the protrusions.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #6

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
Mine has little rivets at the top that prevent the arms from being removed. Probably when I'm in a more patient mood and the weather is warmer, I'll tackle it by drilling or grinding down the protrusions.
That's a drag..

I"m from Warren MN.. up in Tundra MN... where there is still snow on the ground and water on the highways!
Family Still there.
Daughter went to St. Olaf..
Jane
Old 04-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Usually rusted arms can be cleaned and then painted.

Steel wool or 400 grit sandpaper does the job.

Two coats of paint should be applied, the first a good primer, then a color of your choice.

Andy
Old 04-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Thanks again, Andy,

I decided to clean them up while in place - used some aluminum jelly today and then a small wire wheel on my cordless drill - so far working good. Since only a couple are rusted, I'm gonna see if I can find a small can of brush on chrome paint. Otherwise I'm gonna use the Rustoleum brush on aluminum after I finish prepping and priming.

I'm gonna soda blast the lock - instead of removing it' I'm gonna loosen it up and put some heavy paper and blue tape behind the cabin door so I don't blast that. Soda blasting is a neat, non-destructive process. Then, when ready, I'll prime and paint with probably a brush.

Btw, I purchased new gaskets from Andy at Inland for all the windows and wow, what a difference. I had my Airstream at an RV park in Houston this winter to use as an "apartment" when I was there on business. Each trip, I did one window. I finished the last one in my driveway today in MN and wow - really makes a difference. I used a razor blade to get as much of the old rubber off as possible and then attacked the rest with my wire wheel on the cordless drill. Really a big improvement.

Also purchased from Andy new gasket material for the screen door and cabin door. Did the screen door today and really came out nice. Pulled off the gasket on the cabin door but need a new wire brush to get all that ugly yellow adhesive off the door - it is ugly.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
Thanks again, Andy,

I decided to clean them up while in place - used some aluminum jelly today and then a small wire wheel on my cordless drill - so far working good. Since only a couple are rusted, I'm gonna see if I can find a small can of brush on chrome paint. Otherwise I'm gonna use the Rustoleum brush on aluminum after I finish prepping and priming.

I'm gonna soda blast the lock - instead of removing it' I'm gonna loosen it up and put some heavy paper and blue tape behind the cabin door so I don't blast that. Soda blasting is a neat, non-destructive process. Then, when ready, I'll prime and paint with probably a brush.

Btw, I purchased new gaskets from Andy at Inland for all the windows and wow, what a difference. I had my Airstream at an RV park in Houston this winter to use as an "apartment" when I was there on business. Each trip, I did one window. I finished the last one in my driveway today in MN and wow - really makes a difference. I used a razor blade to get as much of the old rubber off as possible and then attacked the rest with my wire wheel on the cordless drill. Really a big improvement.

Also purchased from Andy new gasket material for the screen door and cabin door. Did the screen door today and really came out nice. Pulled off the gasket on the cabin door but need a new wire brush to get all that ugly yellow adhesive off the door - it is ugly.

Thanks for all your help!
Yellow adhesive is no no.

Use the black "super weather strip" adhesive.

It has much more holding power.

Andy