Old 12-16-2007, 11:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Tinting the rear pano might overcome some of the fishbowl effect. Denny, would you also do the side windows over the couch?
Yes, I think so. In addition to the shading benefit inside, I like the look of the color of the glass against the aluminum on the outside.

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Shot from inside

Someone had asked me to provide a shot of the view from inside behind the tint, and compare it to the large side windows over the sofa...

In the shots below, the rear panoramic windows and vista views are tinted, the windows over the sofa remain factory.

Looking at my stone wall exterior of my house, you can see the difference. The vista views are showing the roof shingles, which are glaring back...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7273361 (Large).JPG
Views:	89
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	64559   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7273362 (Large).JPG
Views:	85
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	64560  

Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
We did not like the lack of privacy with the untinted windows on our 25'FB. Everyone walking by could look in. We had the windows tinted and it is a great improvement and we feel it looks much nicer too.
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
I've started my search for a good "tinter" in Atlanta for my rear AS windows. So far, no one has been willing to do the job because of the curve in the windows. I'll keep searching, but if anyone has any specific products (I've seen mention of Huper Optik Ceramic, Vista Harmony and Madico MAC) that they have experience or knowledge, that would be most helpful.
That's ridiculous. Airstream glass is mostly flat and only curved on one plane. They're much easier to tint than car windows. Have you been dealing with residential/commercial tint companys or automotive tint shops? Any automotive tinter worth his salt would be able to do any Airstream window in his sleep. If they didn't have any problem tinting the rear window on my wife's New Beetle, the panoramic windows on an AS shouldn't be any big deal at all.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Journalist, I have to say - I agree with you! I took my AS and put in storage this morning. I was thinking about your comments, and I looked at the rear curved windows, and quite frankly after looking at them again I don't see what the problem is! They are curved, but mostly as a wrap-around. I'll keep trying with other tinters...
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:16 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Mobile , Alabama
Tinted windows

My Lord, they look great. I tried to get pro to do our front wrap windows, but he said he couldnt. I would love to find someone that qualified.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Mobile , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist

That's ridiculous. Airstream glass is mostly flat and only curved on one plane. They're much easier to tint than car windows. Have you been dealing with residential/commercial tint companys or automotive tint shops? Any automotive tinter worth his salt would be able to do any Airstream window in his sleep. If they didn't have any problem tinting the rear window on my wife's New Beetle, the panoramic windows on an AS shouldn't be any big deal at all.
***ritasmith52@yahoo signing in on your above quote, I FIRST WENT TO AN AUTOMOTIVE TINTER THEN COMMERCIAL BOTH SID SAME! SO I BOUGHT THE DARKER SCREEN AND REPLACED ALL, NOW 10 YRS LATER I AM THINKING OF THE GLASS SELF STICK COVER UP LIKE YOU CAN HAVE DONE FOR BATH ROOMS LIGHT COMES IN BUT YOU CANNOT SE THRU, LEAVING THE STRAIGHT WINDOW FOR A BLACK OUT TINT! MY WINDOWS AR TINTED ALL BUT THE CURVES UPFRONT! YEARS I REPLACED OLD CURTAIN WITH DARK OUT ONES! AT NIGHT IF CURTAINS ARE OPEN YOU STILL CAN SEE IN! HAVE BLINDS TOO!
NOW I AM OFF ON A RESEARCH FOR PAINTING EVERYTHING WHITE! HAV YOU SEEN THE NEW AIRSTREAMS, OFF WHITE DONE LIKE WHITE WASH! BEAUTIFUL, WORD TO WISE GO TO GOOD PAINT STORE FIRST! HAVE KILZ PAINT TINTED FOR H PLSTIC ABOVE SOFA WHICH IS COMING OUT FOR TO RECLINERS!
AN ON FOUND AN OUTSIDE CLEANER FOR OUR OLDER RV'S? THE GULF SALT WATER HAS PLAYED GAMES WITH MY WAVE STRIPPING! IT WAS ON COVER OF AN OLD MANUEL! DO NOT KNOW HOW MANY WERE DONE THAT WAY! LOVE IT CAUSE I CAN SPOT MY FROM ALL REST!
NEED REPLIES IF YOU FELLOW CAMPERS FOUND SOMEONE IN ALABAMA TO REDO OUTSIDE, I HEAR WE HAVE NEW DEALER IN NORTHERN AL NOW, BUT SONNY'S IN y, HAS ALL PARTS! AT LEAST A FEW YEARS AGO HE DID!
PLEASE SEND ME NOTES OF YOUR PROGRESS, HUBBY WANTS BAMBOO FLOORS IN OURS NOW!