Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2005, 03:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Rear window reflective film

I'm not sure whether the previous owner installed it or it is factory, but the rear bath window has mirror/silver reflective film on the inside. The problem is it is now old and aligatored/cracked like a jigsaw puzzle. I would like to remove it but it is really on there. Anyone had experience removing and replacing? Any advice will as always be greatly appreciated..

Jai
jaiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 03:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
You have quite the bathroom window project going on. I posted the pictures of the back screen on the other thread for you. As for the film on the window try a hairdryer and see if that will loosen the adhesive enough so you can peel it off.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:20 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I have had good luck with single edged razor blades. You must be willing to: 1. Not go much past 30 degrees off the glass with the back edge 2. Throw out a bunch, as soon as the get dull pitch it. A dull one will likely scratch the glass and 3. Be careful to not cut yourself.

The rear window will lift out if you want to work on it flat. You need to ope the window and remove the arm acorn nuts from the window frame. Then lift the window past parallel with the ground and the top hinge will separate. HAVE A GOOD HOLD ON IT!! or it will drop on the ground and may break!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:32 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Well that was easier than I thought. I used a razor blade to get it started and just started pulling. It all came off in about 10 pieces. Used acetone to remove the residual adhesive and now I can see again. Thanks again to those who contributed.

Jai
jaiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
Well that was easier than I thought. I used a razor blade to get it started and just started pulling. It all came off in about 10 pieces. Used acetone to remove the residual adhesive and now I can see again. Thanks again to those who contributed.

Jai

Could it have been the original protective film the first owners did not remove? Anyway, glad you had success.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote